Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

JMU1998
Luminary

Maybe Netgear can offer us discounts on UPS fair enough? So we can put away paper clip for shoddy programming! UPS does not fix the problem a bandage on a skin cancer merely fix the code!

Message 301 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Message 302 of 809
cyberprashant
Luminary

@e1superman wrote:
My girlfriend's iPhone X is always dropping wifi calling on our Orbi. Horrible.

Try  Disable SIP ALG

under WAN setup advanced.   That helped improve Wifi calling for me. 

Message 303 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Case850 wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@JMU1998 wrote:

Is a new Beta Firmware coming ? Tired of "hand cranking" with paperclip this Orbi sattalite everytime power goes out like hand cranking 1920s cars!

That's what UPS's are for...avoiding effects of power outages on electronic equipement. I have my cable modem and routers on them. They come in all sizes and are very helpful for things that you want to stay on during a short power outage. And protection from surges, brownouts, etc.

Just a thought.

If you want to use a UPS to mask fundamental design and engineering limitations of the Orbi that's you choice, but for the rest living in 2018 we expect better engineering standards.

No, I've been using UPS's for over 10 years now to protect my investment in electronics and stabilize my home network. Has nothing to do with the Orbi per-se, but your posting just reminded me of that fact. Thought I'd share it. Glad that you heard me *smile*.

Message 304 of 809
Deez72
Tutor

Orbi sucks. They cannot get this right. I did not use it for 3 or 4 months because of poor performance. Set it back up, worked great, then the new firmware messed it all up again. I cannot even stream my Apple TV. Please fix this.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 305 of 809
madone28
Aspirant

Foolishly installed V2.1.4.16 today.  At first everything seemed OK.  Then started having intermittant problems with my gigabit FIOS connection.  Kept loosing internet connection.  Rebooted RBK50, rebooted RBS50.  5 seconds of internet connection.  Did this over and over.  Called Verizon spent an hour on the phone with tech support.  Nothing.  Finally in utter frustration went back to older version firmaware.  Only one I could find in my DL folder was V2.1.3.4  Installed that.  Internet back.  Had been running V2.1.4.10 with no problems for a while.  After getting running with V2.1.3.4 again I reinstalled V2.1.4.10.  So far things seem to be working.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Message 306 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try a ERASE on the router after updating to v.16 then set up from scratch. Be sure not to enable the speedtest app, traffic meter and access controls as these will impact your 1Gb ISP service. 

@madone28 wrote:

Foolishly installed V2.1.4.16 today.  At first everything seemed OK.  Then started having intermittant problems with my gigabit FIOS connection.  Kept loosing internet connection.  Rebooted RBK50, rebooted RBS50.  5 seconds of internet connection.  Did this over and over.  Called Verizon spent an hour on the phone with tech support.  Nothing.  Finally in utter frustration went back to older version firmaware.  Only one I could find in my DL folder was V2.1.3.4  Installed that.  Internet back.  Had been running V2.1.4.10 with no problems for a while.  After getting running with V2.1.3.4 again I reinstalled V2.1.4.10.  So far things seem to be working.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Message 307 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

Please stop advocating a factory reset. You’ve done this for every release.

The code is flawed.  You are only wasting people’s time.

i know you want to help, but you’re truly not doing any favors.

When the code is corrected, every one of us here will confirm.

Message 308 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model# of this TP-Link switch. Posible that there maybe something else that is inhibiting the wired back haul form working correctly on this particular switch. Maybe some Green feature or maybe STP? Who knows. Would need to do some wire shark captures to maybe see whats happening. 

Glad the D-Link switch game thru for you. Thanks for leting us know...

@jcalex22 wrote:

Okay bad news/good news. I checked my primary 24 port TP-Link managed switch and IGMP was NOT enabled by default, so my inability to connect my wired backhaul through this was not my problem, as suggested in this forum. But the good news is I did have another 16 port DLink switch connected which I went through to the Orbi satellite and when I replaced that with another: BINGO! My wired backhaul started to working and showed up in the web interface as expected. All this with firmware 2.1.4.16. Nice.

I have started to ID all of my 83 IP connected devices, so I can see what is connecting and where, but so far things are looking good.

All I can say is with all the networking devices and configurations out there, it looks like it's not all on the Netgear engineers for firmware issues, from my perspective. At least in my situation. Hope this information can help some of those that have not tried additional solutions.

Message 309 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

If I was losing sleep, I’d list all the posts where a reset did nothing. 

Message 311 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Im not losing sleep either. So don't worry about it. Back on topic now. 

Message 312 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Resets do nothing. Glad I bought these at Costco.
Message 313 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Me too.  AP mode, wired backhaul, all devices connecting to closest Orbi, all on 5Ghz where supported, otherwise 2.4Ghz.  HomeKit working, Lifx working.  Can’t fault ‘em

Message 314 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I think I asked once before what your beef is with me.  You say "You don't get it"  Don't get what?  

My goal is to have fast WiFi throughout my house, and I've got it.  I don't know what country you are from, but here in Australia our largest telco and ISP is Telstra.  Telstra has an app on the IOS App store called "Telstra Home Dashboard", which is best used on an iPad.  It has a feature called "Map My WiFi" in which you use a house plan measure and map your WiFi.  Open the feature with the house plan image, touch the plan at the location of your Orbis, then walk around your house, go to each room and touch the plan at the place you are standing.  When finished, you can view and save the results of the extent of your WiFi coverage, a copy of which I have attached.  Where its green, it says coverage is optimum, and it fades to red where its poor or non-existant.  

The point I do get is that my Orbis envelop my home in WiFi.  That's what I want, and that's what I've got.  

Outside in a garden is a Lifx globe located at least 20 meters away from my satellite, which is inside, behind a brick wall.  The Netgear Genie app says the globe is working at a signal strength of 100%.  

I don't care if I'm running in AP mode.  You are right that my Billion 7800VDOX is the quiet achiever, so why would I want to force an Orbi in router mode on myself?  Based on the experiences many are having on this forum, going to router mode might be like hitting myself on the head with a hammer.  It feels good when I stop.

When I finally get some faster broadband, I will have no further use for the Billion as a DSL modem, so I will try setting the Orbis up in router mode - just once - and if I'm not happy with the experience, I will revert back to the Billion as a router, and put the Orbis in AP mode again.  

Finally, if I think the Billion is dated and letting me down somewhere, I will fast-track the acquisition of a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, with a Cisco SPA112 for VoIP, and keep the Orbis in AP mode.  I think I do get it.

Message 315 of 809
EvolutionOX
Tutor

See, this is why I F—N HATE Orbi. Where did you get this info from about speedtest app, traffic meter and access controls? And, if true WHY the hell is this in the code to enable traffic metering if it will only impact your speed!? Are these engineers freaking retarded?

First it was IM Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roam that when enabled caused issues, THEN WHY EVEN OFFER THEM? When you can’t get your firmware working right with them on! Then wired backhaul is broken. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

And I’ve been doing nothing BUT erase/installs of firmware updates with setting up from scratch with sh*t still not working 100% reliably. I’m so fed up I bought Linksys Velop and switching over, done with this crap product, Netgear lost a customer.
Message 316 of 809
Abee
Aspirant

I’m still having frequent disconnections. I have updated the firmware and it’s up to date. I didn’t face this problem with the previous firmware. Can I downgrade? If yes, how?
Message 317 of 809
Abee
Aspirant

Lucky you! Who did it work? I’m still facing disconnections! Help plz
Message 318 of 809
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

I have been getting occasional slow speeds even with this latest firmware. It typically works for quite a while 1-3 weeks at least but then at some point my speeds slow down from 120mbps to 10-20mbps. No indication is given that anything is wrong other than speedtests being slow. Then I have to go through disconnecting the satellite and rebooting the router (via power disconnect) then connecting the satellite.

Once I do this the internet speed is back to 120mbps. Hopefully Netgear can fix this issue in an upcoming release. Besides some difficulty getting the satellite appropriately connected to the router on this reset this is my only issue.

I have the RBK50 kit connected with wired backhaul. 

Message 319 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full reboot of the router and satelite(s) been performed after the update?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Any other wifi broadcasts with in your home?

What channels are you using? Try channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channels on 5Ghz.

Disable MIMO, Daisy chain and Fast Roaming.

What is the distances between the router and satellite? Feet?

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

I've set up my friends RBK50 the other day using this same version of FW. Been stable since Sunday:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Abee wrote:
I’m still having frequent disconnections. I have updated the firmware and it’s up to date. I didn’t face this problem with the previous firmware. Can I downgrade? If yes, how?

Message 320 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full reboot of the router and satelite(s) been performed after the update?

What channels are you using? Try channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channels on 5Ghz.

Are you speed testing wireless or wired connections with the router or satellite when you see the speed drop?

What devices are you using to speed test with?

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

I have been getting occasional slow speeds even with this latest firmware. It typically works for quite a while 1-3 weeks at least but then at some point my speeds slow down from 120mbps to 10-20mbps. No indication is given that anything is wrong other than speedtests being slow. Then I have to go through disconnecting the satellite and rebooting the router (via power disconnect) then connecting the satellite.

Once I do this the internet speed is back to 120mbps. Hopefully Netgear can fix this issue in an upcoming release. Besides some difficulty getting the satellite appropriately connected to the router on this reset this is my only issue.

Message 321 of 809
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

The Modem is a Netgear CM600.

Yes full reboots have been performed

There are a couple...but typically very weak. I am in a detached residence with .25 acre lots

No Other Wifi broadcasts in home

Slow speeds are measured on 5GHz devices as well as wired devices so the issue isn't related to signal strength.

These settings are disabled

The satellite is wired

The problem is once I start getting slow speeds it stays that way. Its not intermittent. It works great for a few weeks and then we'll notice our phones aren't working well and I'll do a speedtest and see slow speeds. I'll then perform the aforementioned reset and I'll be back to full speed.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you speed testing wireless or wired connections with the router or satellite when you see the speed drop?

What devices are you using to speed test with?

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

Message 322 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you see this before the FW update?

Anything else happening or going on with the Orbi system when you speed testing? Streaming or gaming, etc?

Reset meaning you factory ERASE the router and satellite or just do a reboot?

How is the satellite connected to the router? Directly or is there a network switch between them?

Might try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

There are a couple...but typically very weak. I am in a detached residence with .25 acre lots

Slow speeds are measured on 5GHz devices as well as wired devices so the issue isn't related to signal strength.

The satellite is wired

The problem is once I start getting slow speeds it stays that way. Its not intermittent. It works great for a few weeks and then we'll notice our phones aren't working well and I'll do a speedtest and see slow speeds. I'll then perform the aforementioned reset and I'll be back to full speed.

Message 323 of 809
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

Furry,

Yes I've seen this for the last few updates at least. It's been consistent. Nothing else going on when speed testing. I've done the full factory reset and it hasn't fixed this issue. It takes so long for the issue to occur that it is difficult to see if there is a trigger. Satellite and router are directly connected to one another. 

I can try a manual channel setting on 2.4GHz but wouldn't that be odd to be causing issues on wired devices as well?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Anything else happening or going on with the Orbi system when you speed testing? Streaming or gaming, etc?

How is the satellite connected to the router? Directly or is there a network switch between them?

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

The satellite is wired

Message 324 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, could be something on wireless is causing the wired side to be effected.

I would try this as well, Do a reload of the FW on both satelite first then router. Do a full ERASE on the satellite and router then set up from scratch. Use same suggestions for wireless and disable some of those features. I might test the satellite wireless first to see if the problem appears, if not go wired back haul. Do the FW re-load with IE11 or FF browsers!

If the problem still continues after this, I would contact NG support and ask for an RMA...

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

Furry,

Yes I've seen this for the last few updates at least. It's been consistent. Nothing else going on when speed testing. I've done the full factory reset and it hasn't fixed this issue. It takes so long for the issue to occur that it is difficult to see if there is a trigger. Satellite and router are directly connected to one another. 

I can try a manual channel setting on 2.4GHz but wouldn't that be odd to be causing issues on wired devices as well?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

The satellite is wired

Message 325 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7