Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Sheriff1972
Aspirant

Our choices are somewhat limited. People who can't get it to work reliably (me included) need to return it and get something else. A lot of retailer returns will apply more pressure on Netgear to address these issues than anything we write here. If you are able to return it, you can always keep an eye on this forum to see if the masses have extinguished their torches and out down their pitchforks and give it another go later.

If (like me) you are outside your return window, I would just pack them away, and use something else, also keeping an eye on here for updates.

I just don't have time to beta test this stuff for Netgear and I don't treat it like a hobby. I just want it to work.

I have a working solution now but keep an eye on here out of morbid curiosity...
Message 376 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Also people can contact NG support and ask for RMAs if there units are not working right. Smiley Wink

Good Luck.

Message 377 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

There any network switches in between your Orbi router and satellites? If so, what is the Mfr and model#

I got wired back haul working for my friends Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Still working as expected.

@Coolie13 wrote:

Correction.............Was speaking too soon.   

After 16hrs of trouble shooting.  The conclusion is Orbi cannot support wired backhaul.  (at least in my case.)

Final set-up = <RBR50-V2.1.4.16.img> + <RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img> on wireless backhaul.  

RBR50_SBR50_on 2.1.4.16_via wireless backhaul.JPG

The moment the Satelite is connected via Ethernet backhual, the entire Orbi is dead.  

Only wireless is stable.  Hence, for those whose home or office space is to far, get a 2nd Satelite.  Or get another brand.  NETGEAR failed us.  Or cheated us.

Message 378 of 809
kingtj
Star

I have a few things to add.

1. Unlike the vast majority of posts I'm reading in this 2.1.4.16 firmware update thread, I'm running the Orbi RBK43 setup as opposed to the RBK50.  Not sure if that matters or not, but it looks like RBK50 got this update first and then Netgear finally released it for the RBK40 series just last week?
2. I did the v.2.1.4.16 update yesterday afternoon and didn't have any problems with it initially. It seemed to run fine until today. About an hour ago, everyone in the house started complaining to me that their Internet connection died. I ran to the main Orbi router to see what it was doing, and it started pulsing white on top -- indicating it restarted itself.  My Comcast cable modem was still connected just fine.

3. My backhaul wireless status of one of my 2 satellites now shows "poor", where it was consistently showing "good" when I looked at it in the last firmware version. I will say though ... this is the satellite I have out in a detached garage behind the house, and I think the signal gets weakened considerably when it tries to travel through the walls of the house and garage. One of the older firmware versions used to also indicate that satellite as a "poor" connection, so I tend to believe that's a more accurate reporting than the ones that kept saying it was "good"?

4. When the connection died an hour ago, it was right after I fired up the Blizzard Battle.net client on my gaming laptop that's connected via wi-fi. It was trying to do an update to the client and check for updates for games like Overwatch I have installed on it. Maybe just coincidence, but I'm guessing it put a greater load on the wireless router, causing it to crash/reset itself.

We have a fair number of networked devices in our house (about 38, last I checked the device list). Some used wired Ethernet but about 2/3rds. are on wireless. I've done all kinds of things to try to optimize the network already. Some changes definitely helped and others did nothing. (For example, I have 5 Wemo switches and plugs for home automation with Homekit. One thing I've learned is that Wemo's firmware stinks. If I get even a momentary power outage, the Weemos all reset themselves and if my 2.4Ghz wifi isn't configured so it's locked on a certain channel, instead of set to "auto"? The Wemos often fail to restart properly. They seem to memorize the last channel they were on before losing power and have problems if it changed. I also found I had to "pin" their IP addresses in DHCP reservations in the Orbi for best results. Until I did that, they'd often randomly drop off my network so Homekit couldn't see one or more of them for periods of time.)

All of that aside though? The Orbi doing its random crash/reset thing is my biggest issue with the product, and these firmware updates that keep promising they've addressed it seem to have done nothing. When I check the Orbi logs, they typically tell me nothing useful -- with the log often showing the first entry as the system initializing itself right AFTER it crashed/reset.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 379 of 809
oliveyang
Tutor

Udpated to 2.1.4.16 fairly easily and no reported issues initially. Internet totally stopped working the next day so i don't know if they are connected. If I plugged right in to my modem internet worked so i knew it must be the orbi. Ended up having to to a factory reset plus setup of orbi via ethernet to get internet working again. It's been stable for the last day, so that's promising. However, I am seeing a significant drop in performance. If I run a speed test in a browser (via wifi) I'm getting 40 - 50 mbps, using the orbi app's speed test it is 150 mbps. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 380 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

I do have a TP-LINK 5-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Desktop Switch (TL-SG105). 

This is a basic switch, without any smart function.

This switch is connected to the RBR50.

Message 381 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

With out the switch in between, does the RBS connect to the RBR router?

I see some IGMP features on this switch:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-42_TL-SG105.html

Possible that this feature could be a problem. One user mentioned it was on his managed switch and was able to disable it, then his wired back haul started working.

Try with out the switch as a quick test to see if the satellite connect directly to the router. Can be in same room when you do this.

@Coolie13 wrote:

I do have a TP-LINK 5-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Desktop Switch (TL-SG105). 

This is a basic switch, without any smart function.

This switch is connected to the RBR50.

Message 382 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different browser or PC. IF the app is working however not your browser, points to the PC your using.

@oliveyang wrote:

Udpated to 2.1.4.16 fairly easily and no reported issues initially. Internet totally stopped working the next day so i don't know if they are connected. If I plugged right in to my modem internet worked so i knew it must be the orbi. Ended up having to to a factory reset plus setup of orbi via ethernet to get internet working again. It's been stable for the last day, so that's promising. However, I am seeing a significant drop in performance. If I run a speed test in a browser (via wifi) I'm getting 40 - 50 mbps, using the orbi app's speed test it is 150 mbps. 

Message 383 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

After the update, I have been experiencing connectivity issues with one of the satellites that I have. The connection repeatedly is broken and reestablished. I was not having this problem until the upgrade was automatically installed on my network.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 384 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Was both router and satellites updated?

Besure to power OFF the router and satellites for 1 minuted the power ON the router, then one satallite at a time. Should come back online.

Try using manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2Ghz.

Any other wifi neighbors near by?

@GEMASON wrote:

After the update, I have been experiencing connectivity issues with one of the satellites that I have. The connection repeatedly is broken and reestablished. I was not having this problem until the upgrade was automatically installed on my network.

Message 385 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

We’re both the router and satellites updated? No. Several days ago, after I had recycled everything, they were all upgraded. The problem that I am having is with the communication between the RB50 and one of my satellites. It was solid before the update.

Is there a procedure for hardwiring the satellite to the RB50? 

Message 386 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, after it's added via wireless, connect a LAN cable between the router and satellite, give 5 minutes and wait for the top led to turn on BLUE. You can do this in the same room as the router to get it set up on wired back haul, then place back into remote location where theres a LAN connected back to the router. 

@GEMASON wrote:

We’re both the router and satellites updated? No. Several days ago, after I had recycled everything, they were all upgraded. The problem that I am having is with the communication between the RB50 and one of my satellites. It was solid before the update.

Is there a procedure for hardwiring the satellite to the RB50? 

Is daisy chain enabled on there router? Try it disabled. 

Message 387 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

Where do I find that setting?

Message 388 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

Found the setting. It is disabled.

Message 389 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try swapping around satellites.

Only other couple of items, you might try a manual re-load of the satellite with the recent FW. Use IE11 or FF browser and re-load the FW, after the re-load, do a ERASE on it and set it up from scratch. 

Might try a ERASE on the router as last resort...

Message 390 of 809
Bill____
Apprentice

The apple homekit issue seems to be resolved in this release, BUT the IPV6 problem is NOT resolved.  Every couple of days, I have to turm off the IPV6 settings on Orbi and turn them on again.  This does not happen in a system where I am just using the cable modem and no orbi...

I just had a situation where my HP Scan to email didn't work, it would lock up.  Sure enough, the IPV6 was not working on orbi and it was trying to send email via that protocol.

I see my support cases have disappeared, so I can't give feedback on the exact case...but the iPV6 issue is not resolved at all.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 391 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

@DarrenM

@Bill____ wrote:

The apple homekit issue seems to be resolved in this release, BUT the IPV6 problem is NOT resolved.  Every couple of days, I have to turm off the IPV6 settings on Orbi and turn them on again.  This does not happen in a system where I am just using the cable modem and no orbi...

I just had a situation where my HP Scan to email didn't work, it would lock up.  Sure enough, the IPV6 was not working on orbi and it was trying to send email via that protocol.

I see my support cases have disappeared, so I can't give feedback on the exact case...but the iPV6 issue is not resolved at all.

Message 392 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

I reset the satellite, moved it next to the RB50, on the second floor, and synced it. I then moved the satellite back to the first floor. The only place that I could get a solid connection, blue, was directly under the RB50. That position is about 60 feet from where the wired connection is needed. I moved it to where the connections are needed and resynced the satellite. I am now getting flashing amber and blue. Dropped connections possibly could start again. Was something done in the latest update to decrease the strength of the router to satellite signal? I repeat, I did not have this problem until the recent update. I really don’t want to go back to a star configured wired network.

Message 393 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

Fixed it! At the expense of a lesser used area. I turned on daisy chaining, moved an RBW30 to the good reception area, and re synced both saletillites. The poor reception RBS50 now goes through the RBW30 to get to the RBR50 on the 2nd floor.

Message 394 of 809
Gorelash
Aspirant

After the update, when i try running the internet speed test from the Netgear Orbi iOS app, the router crashes. Tried this several times, all with same result
Message 395 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the router crash if you run the speed test from the routers web page?

Try a full reboot of the router and satellite, if same thing happens, try a full ERASE on the router and set up from scratch then test.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

@Gorelash wrote:
After the update, when i try running the internet speed test from the Netgear Orbi iOS app, the router crashes. Tried this several times, all with same result

Message 396 of 809
Gorelash
Aspirant

Either i'm completely blind, or just dumb, but i can't seem to find the speedtest option in the web ui.

NM! i found it under QoS.

Seems to work fine from the web ui.

Did a full reboot of the entire network before the last test from iOS app.

Just got ny network up running again, after erase, seems to be working now 🙂

Thanks for the tips

Message 397 of 809
tanws2005
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing. 

I would like to achieve the following setup: RBR50 as AP (connected to Cisco Router) and 2x RBS50 with wired backhaul

Hope you can help with my questions below:

Question 1 

Is this wiring correct for RBR50 as AP?

>> Connect wire from RBR50 [Internet port] to Cisco Router [LAN port].  

Question 2

Can I have wired backhaul with RBR50 as AP? 

If yes, how should it be wired?  LAN cable from RBS50 connect to Cisco Router or RBR50?

Thanks in advance

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 398 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

To tanws2005, post 419.  

I have no experience with a Cisco router, so I'm assuming it is this device that connects to your internet service and handlse your routing needs, eg firewall, NAT, DHCP, security, port management if any, etc.  Having these services delivered by your Cisco means you must put your Orbi router into AP mode, which is your intention.  Does the Cisco also handle WiFi?  If so, disable it.

• Question 1, your wiring is correct, whether its AP mode or not.
  • Question 2, yes you can have a wired backhaul with your RBR50 in AP mode.  This is how I have mine set up although I have only one satellite.

If your Cisco router delivers a good service to you now then that should be preserved, because AP mode disable the Orbi system's router functions altogether.  It's just a WiFi distribution system, which I have used now in AP mode for around 3 months quite satisfactorily, more recently with FW v2.1.4.16, and a wired backhaul.

Prior to setting up the Orbi system, download the latest 2.1.4.16 firmwear and save it.  Put the satellites in the same room as the router for setup.  Connect the RBR50 to the Cisco as per question 1, and connect your PC/Mac to a port on the Cisco. Switch on the RB50 and the two RBS50s, but do not cable-connect the satellites yet.  On your browser enter "orbilogin.com" (If this doesn't work, the defaule IP address is 192.168.1.1).  Once the router fires up, follow the steps, including letting it find the satellites.  At this stage, you should be connected, but in this basic form you are in router mode at the starting point for detailed configuration.  At this point, click on the Advanced tab, go to Advanced Setup, and choose the second item "Router/AP Mode".  You will be presented with a couple of squares, the right one of which is AP mode.  Choose this, then hit "Apply".  When you recover from this, you will be in AP mode with all your settings inherited from the Cisco router.  Don't forget that the default IP address for the Orbis before AP mode is 192.168.1.1, but if your Cisco router has a diffent IP address, like 192.168.100.1, then your Orbis will inherit the IP addresses allocated by the Cisco's DHCP server.    You may have to search for them in the Cisco's connected devices.  I recommend that in your Cisco router you assign reserved IP addresses for your Orbis so these addresses are constants.  I have mine set up as 192.168.100.40, and 192.168.100.41.  

Assuming you have success here, you can load the Orbi router and satellites in different tabs on your browser, and look at the attached/connected devices to prove that everything works.  Under the RBR50's Advanced tab, goto Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.  I have everything checked, and my system continues to run just fine, but others have reported mixed success with some of the se settings.  For your information, Daisy-Chain Topology means that your furthest away satellite connects to your next satellite, then to the router.  The unchecked alternative is a star topology where all satellites communicate with the router, like the spokes of a wheel.  I have just one satellite so for me it's either or, but in your case, this setting may have more meaning.

If all is OK so far, move the satellites to their destination, still on wireless for the time being, and recheck.  It seems that others have had success leaving the system in wireless backhaul mode for a day or two to let it settle down.  Then you can try connecting your ethernet cables to the satellites.  Many contributors to the Orbi forum have had success if their internet cable between the router and satellite(s) is as direct as possibe, eg bypassing switches, and indeed mine is configured this way.  

I hope this has been helpful and you have success.  Good luck

Message 399 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Is a beta Firmware coming soon to address backhaul issues? 

Message 400 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7