Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Roamabout
Luminary

Updated manually to 2.1.4.16 over two weeks ago. Most painless update so far. System has been rock solid since the update as it has been since I bought it in Feb this year. I liked the Orbi so much I bought the Arlo cameras which have also exceeded my expectations.

Router and two sats are in AP mode, wireless backhaul, large house with 30+ devices of all types. Verizon Fios router.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 426 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Using wired backhaul and AP mode. Can someone explain if I leave the sattalite as showing attached to main unit is OK or does it need to show as a sattalite? Seems to be working ok tired of using paperclip to reset it can I leave it like this until the next Firmware hopefully can fix this issue? 

Message 427 of 809
kingtj
Star

This is what I've finally done to work around all of my Orbi hassles.  I purchased an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (about $50 from my local Micro Center store, but readily available on Amazon too).

The EdgeRouter X is a litle 5 port router that runs Linux and seems to be a very reliable little unit, from the reviews I've read of it. It's designed primarily for the purpose of acting as your wired router for your home of office network, while attaching wireless access points to it to handle the wi-fi.  (Ubiquiti sells a number of these, but there's no reason the Orbi can't work as one too.)

I will say, Ubiquiti's web interface for the EdgeRouter isn't all that user-friendly -- but it's not bad once you learn where things are in its menus. The first thing I had to do was download the latest firmware, before even starting to install it. I saved it on my laptop's hard drive so I could upload it to the EdgeRouter from it's "System" menu, after temporarily giving my laptop's ethernet adapter a static IP of 192.168.1.11 and accessing the EdgeRouter at it's default of 192.168.1.1.

With the latest firmware in the EdgeRouter, it has a "wizard" to handle basic setup for DHCP and a cable or DSL type modem attached to the first "eth1" port on it. That gets it up and running so it's routing traffic and doing the basics.

Then, you can attach the Orbi to one of the other 4 ports on the back of it and make sure it's configured for AP mode. That's pretty much it to make the Orbi do the wireless portion.  (The satellite routers should still connect back to the primary Orbi like they did before.)

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 428 of 809
oliveyang
Tutor

i tried the second factory reset and it worked to increase my speeds back to what they were before. Getting 180mbps downloads. Thanks for the advice!

Message 429 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's working fine, then leave it. No need to change anything. It should show as WIRED if your using ethernet back haul.

@JMU1998 wrote:

Using wired backhaul and AP mode. Can someone explain if I leave the sattalite as showing attached to main unit is OK or does it need to show as a sattalite? Seems to be working ok tired of using paperclip to reset it can I leave it like this until the next Firmware hopefully can fix this issue? 

Message 430 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the Orbi in router mode if your ISP modem/router has a DMZ feature. 

@cheshbr wrote:
My excuse for using AP node is that I still need a DSL modem for the forseable future. Mine is a combine modem/router with a great pedigree (Billion 7800 VDOX with VoIP), so I mearly disabled Wifi on the Billion and put the Orbis into AP., and it works, including wired backhaul, when I do get a boost in my broadband capability, I may try router mode

Message 431 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the Forget this Network option under wireless SSID name on your phone. Then reboot the phone then try to connect it again to the Orbis main SSID name. 

@Sukurin wrote:

My Orbi is at V2.1.4.10. Everything is working well unless 1 iphone6 device. It wont connecting at main network, but when switch to guest network it work without problem. Should I update to this firmware? Its kind a bugging me to see that tiny problem, but I also afraid this firmware will ruin my network.

Message 432 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Using DMZ permanently is risky as it opens all ports.  It should be used only in troubleshooting.  Here’s a quote from Tom’s Hardware

The main reason a DMZ is not safe is people are lazy. The NAT protects them without them knowing anything. Once you turn that off (by using DMZ)  you must learn how networks really work...ie what are ports numbers what are ip addresses etc etc. Most people just scream....i wanna play my game... and pretend there are no bad people on the internet

Message 433 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats only in considerations for a single NAT/router configuration use. If your in a two router configuration, then DMZ is a valid and working solution if you use a two router configuration and if you want to use the 2nd routers routing features, then yes, you need to open up ports to the 2nd router behind the first one. This is where DMZ comes in to play. And there is two firewalls in a two router configuration as well. Having the 2nd router in the 1st routers DMZ isn't insecure as the 2nd routers firewall would be active as well. Using the DMZ on the 1st router would be getting the 2nd router close to a single NAT configuration as possible. Which is the same thing as a stand alone modem with out a router and having the Orbi router connected to it. I've done this many times with thise kind of configuration. Zero issues or problems with it. 

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

@cheshbr wrote:

Using DMZ permanently is risky as it opens all ports.  It should be used only in troubleshooting.  Here’s a quote from Tom’s Hardware

The main reason a DMZ is not safe is people are lazy. The NAT protects them without them knowing anything. Once you turn that off (by using DMZ)  you must learn how networks really work...ie what are ports numbers what are ip addresses etc etc. Most people just scream....i wanna play my game... and pretend there are no bad people on the internet

@cheshbr wrote:

Message 434 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@FURRYe38 thanks for letting me know it shows number of satellite attached as 0 but shows as attached device as wired, I will leave it like this tired of monkeying with it maybe next Firmware address this issue.  using Orbi in AP mode currently with googlefiber 1GB up/down.

Message 435 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Should show 1 however something is hung up. IF it's working for you. Leave it for now. 

@JMU1998 wrote:

@FURRYe38 thanks for letting me know it shows number of satellite attached as 0 but shows as attached device as wired, I will leave it like this tired of monkeying with it maybe next Firmware address this issue.  using Orbi in AP mode currently with googlefiber 1GB up/down.

Message 436 of 809
DavidInGA
Initiate

Been running 2.1.4.10 for a while with no issues.  I upgraded this morning to 2.1.4.16.  At initial glance everything looks ok.  If I have issues I'mm update the post, but I'm happy with the stability of the last few releases.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 437 of 809
tdroz73
Tutor

Been running 2.1.4.16 for a few weeks now.  Generally the firmware is ok.  However, seems like after 10 days or so my devices all wind up 'locked' at 40mbps each.  I have a 1gbps DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem - normally I get close to 450/500mbps on each device (depending on device) I have to reboot the system and everything goes back to normal.  Devices include iPhone X, Macbook Pro (multiple models) and Apple TVs - so Apple devices in general.  

Anyone else noticing this?

Message 438 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and see? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Try a full erase on the system and set up from scratch and see if it still happens? 

My friends Orbi is working well since i set his up:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@tdroz73 wrote:

Been running 2.1.4.16 for a few weeks now.  Generally the firmware is ok.  However, seems like after 10 days or so my devices all wind up 'locked' at 40mbps each.  I have a 1gbps DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem - normally I get close to 450/500mbps on each device (depending on device) I have to reboot the system and everything goes back to normal.  Devices include iPhone X, Macbook Pro (multiple models) and Apple TVs - so Apple devices in general.  

Anyone else noticing this?

Message 439 of 809
TechGeezer
Aspirant

RBK40 system, V2 1.4.16 software on router and all satellites. Using wired ethernet for backhaul.

One satellite unit is in detached garage and is behind 2 Gigibit switches. It always shows as 2.4Ghz backhaul.   Another satellite reandomly switches between wired and wireless backaul.  Seems the latest firmware dis not resolve this problem.  Trying to login to the RBR40 using orbilogin,com always faills...i tried clearing the browser data cache, a different browser, etc ... but noluck... I can usually login using the IP address, but this method has failed 2 times in the last 12 hours.

Attached devices shows the satellite units as connected devices but not satellite devices. Also constantly going offline and later back online. The wifi signal seems ok most of the time, perhaps a buggy UI

The iOS and Android app are largely useless. 9/10 times I get "Try Again" message 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 440 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

May I suggest downloading an IOS app called Net Analyzer that has a LAN option to list all client devices on a WiFi network by IP address?  Use the LAN option to Scan for connected client devices on the current WiFi network.  Then look for tiny coloured boxes in the rightmost column.  If you see a white “W” in a light blue box with an arrow pointing right, touch it and look for “Web Interface” with a green dot and the word “Yes”. Touch that and you will open the web interface behind the client IP address.  This tells you the IP address of the device you can’t find, which you note to access in future.  

The next step.

My Orbi is in AP mode, connected to a modem/router, in which I have configured the DHCP server to reserve IP addresses for both the Orbi router and the satellite.  This involves finding the 12 digit MAC address for each device and locking that to a specific IP address under the DHCP reserved IP addresses.  Without assigning a reserved IP address, the router will assign the next available IP address, which is unlikely to be the same, which is why you can’t find it.

If you use the Orbi router in Router mode, then use the Orbi router’s DHCP table to lock in the satellite to a fixed IP address

Message 441 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul/m-p/1602331#M35300

@TechGeezer wrote:

RBK40 system, V2 1.4.16 software on router and all satellites. Using wired ethernet for backhaul.

One satellite unit is in detached garage and is behind 2 Gigibit switches. It always shows as 2.4Ghz backhaul.   Another satellite reandomly switches between wired and wireless backaul.  Seems the latest firmware dis not resolve this problem.  Trying to login to the RBR40 using orbilogin,com always faills...i tried clearing the browser data cache, a different browser, etc ... but noluck... I can usually login using the IP address, but this method has failed 2 times in the last 12 hours.

Attached devices shows the satellite units as connected devices but not satellite devices. Also constantly going offline and later back online. The wifi signal seems ok most of the time, perhaps a buggy UI

The iOS and Android app are largely useless. 9/10 times I get "Try Again" message 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 442 of 809
pup0975
Star

I've had this happen with my Macbook. My speedtest maxes out at 40mbps. If I turn off the wifi on the Macbook and turn it back on, it gets full speed of 100+mbps. I'm on 2.1.4.10 which has been pretty stable, so I'm reluctant to update to x.16 since this is really the only issue I have right now and apparently x.16 doesn't fix it.

Message 443 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Does anyone know if a new Beta Firmware is coming or will be available for testing out?

Message 444 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

What problem do you have that new beta FW will fix?
Message 445 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have an Orbi RBK50 system running in AP mode on FW v2.1.4.16 in perfect working order, using a wired backhaul with all devices connecting to their nearest Orbi device in 5Ghz mode if it’s capable of 5Ghz, or 2.4Ghz where that’s all they allow, eg Lifx globes only function on a 2.4Ghz network.  Ever since FW v2.1.4.16 has been available, I have used it without any issues whatsoever.  Apple HomeKit works, LIFX works, TP-Link and Wemo switches work perfectly, Apple HomePod, Amazon dot and Google Home all just work, as do assorted iPhones, iPads and Macs, and the devices of visiting family and friends.  

So I repeat, what problem?  What needs to be fixed?

Could it be that those of you who have less than satisfactory experience with Orbi should have another look at their skill levels, their configuration, their internet source, or other devices and peripherals that may be interacting poorly?  Perhaps they assume that Orbis are simple to set up.  They are not.

There is a need for basic network knowledge and fundamental skills, eg understanding IP addresses, MAC addresses, DHCP, reserved IP addresses, etc.  Orbis are not Plug n Play.  And there’s a need for ongoing maintenance to keep everything working optimally.

Message 446 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

I've really been hoping for one. I'll be honest, I feel netgears support is absolutely horrible. I'm an experienced I.t. person so I know I'm not configuring incorrectly. The best way I've found to setup so far is using the orbi in access point mode. That's enabled the best all around speeds. There are so many features they promised on this device that aren't there or are fully undeveloped. Qos is the biggest one, in fact the QoS in place causes the device to function much worse. Since the release of the last firmware, wireless speed performance has dropped drastically. This is the most expensive mesh system on the market and had had the most terrible support. It still performs the best, even at its worst unfortunately though. I honestly feel Netgear doesn't care at all about fixing the issues or developing this product further at this point.
Message 447 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

Bottom line is Netgear doesn't care about our issues or fixing them. There are many many well documented issues with this product. It also has many promised features that have not been developed and in fact the QoS feature plain breaks the device if you use it. I'm an experienced networking and PC user so I know I'm not doing anything wrong. This device is broken and it's the horrible firmware. The potential is there as it already outperforms any other mesh network on the market, but Netgear either didn't have good engineers who know how to fix it or if they do, nobody cares. The best way I find to get it to work is in access point mode. Apple products are very much a mixed bag. I think the issue is they have no engineers with experience in iOS. I've also been hoping for either a new beta or final firmware to fix the inconsistent speeds the last firmware created. No word from anyone at Netgear and absolutely no beta portal or dedicated site thats updated regularly regarding this. I purchased this product from Costco and am considering returning it and trying a different mesh solution you see if it will have more consistent results overall, even if the speeds are slower because it seems all tht Netgear engineers have 💀.
Message 448 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

My freinds 50 series is working well too, in router mode though. No complaints.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@cheshbr wrote:

I have an Orbi RBK50 system running in AP mode on FW v2.1.4.16 in perfect working order, using a wired backhaul with all devices connecting to their nearest Orbi device in 5Ghz mode if it’s capable of 5Ghz, or 2.4Ghz where that’s all they allow, eg Lifx globes only function on a 2.4Ghz network.  Ever since FW v2.1.4.16 has been available, I have used it without any issues whatsoever.  Apple HomeKit works, LIFX works, TP-Link and Wemo switches work perfectly, Apple HomePod, Amazon dot and Google Home all just work, as do assorted iPhones, iPads and Macs, and the devices of visiting family and friends.  

So I repeat, what problem?  What needs to be fixed?

Could it be that those of you who have less than satisfactory experience with Orbi should have another look at their skill levels, their configuration, their internet source, or other devices and peripherals that may be interacting poorly?  Perhaps they assume that Orbis are simple to set up.  They are not.

There is a need for basic network knowledge and fundamental skills, eg understanding IP addresses, MAC addresses, DHCP, reserved IP addresses, etc.  Orbis are not Plug n Play.  And there’s a need for ongoing maintenance to keep everything working optimally.

Message 449 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't let anyone know when or if beta FW is on the horizon. If they post anything, they just post it. The forum isn't privy to any such future information. 

@JMU1998 wrote:

Does anyone know if a new Beta Firmware is coming or will be available for testing out?

Message 450 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7