Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

cheshbr
Apprentice

1.  I do very little Orbi interaction using my iPhone.  Instead I use my iPad, with the Netgear Genie v 3.1.52, and the Netgear Orbi app, v 2.2.0.57.  Both are useful, and on the Orbi app it shows my Orbi router and satellite separately, and on each, it displays connected devices in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Make sure you look along the top of the screen for the column headers, one of which lists attached devices.  I also use the Netgear Genie’s Network Map to check signal strength.  If you cannot see these lists, then there may be an issue with the IP address setup you are using

2.  The reason I bought a mesh network is to have a common network name and I think it’s a mistake to have different SSID names.  Interesting article on band steering here   

I have not experienced the issues you describe of band steering causing dropouts, but if you use the Netgear Genie app to Network Map your devices where they are, you can see signal strength per device.  

Good luck

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 476 of 809
Shinedown
Apprentice

Thanks Chesh,

Re. Point 1, in the Orbi app I click attached devices and I get a list, but when I click the orbi icon and then the satellite (or router) pictures, I click on connected devices and nothing ever shows up (see attached pic). I'm using the Orbi in AP mode if that makes a difference?

The Web app confirms everything is as it should be, but the app itself just won't update - I'm using a galaxy S7 with Android Oreo, potentially an android issue?
Message 477 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I’m on holidays at the moment, and my Orbis are 2,000km away, so I’m relying on memory.  

I have attached a snapshot of the login screen of the Netgear Genie.  It calls for the IP address of your router, and thereafter the Network Map lists all connected devices.  I can’t recall what happens with the Netgear Orbi app, but I suspect it too will ask for the IP address of the router.

Because you are in AP mode, your Orbi devices are on the same network subnet as your primary router.  To set the scene, hypotheticaly your primary router is on, say, 192.168.6.1, your Orbi router is on 192.168.6.40 and your satellite is on 192.168.6.41.  Look at the snapshot I sent you, particularly the left hand bottom corner where it wants an IP address.  Because the default setting for your Orbi is router mode, it will assume the IP address is 192.168.6.1, which is the primary router’s IP address, not that of the Orbi.  

You should enter your equivalent to 192.168.6.40 in the Netgear Orbi and Genie apps, not the root IP address of the subnet which belongs to the primary router

i hope this helps

Message 478 of 809
Shinedown
Apprentice

Thanks Chesh will take a look, I have the router and satellite IP addresses reserved via DHCP, so I'll add in the addresses manually as you recommend.
Message 479 of 809
Shinedown
Apprentice

So I was able to manually add the IP address in the Genie app, but the Orbi does not allow you to edit the setting so still shows nothing, which is annoying as I'd like to know what device is linked to the router and what devices are attached to the satellite... I can't see this option using the Genie app, it says everything is connected to the 'router' once clicked.
Message 480 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

So my edgerouter came today and I guess I'm too dumb to operate it.  I type in the 192.168.1.1 address where it says to go to configure and it doesn't work.  It took mr to the page once,. I started looking through tabs and it disappeared then I had no clue howq to get it back.  Typing the address into browser and all it says is internet bnot connected.

Message 481 of 809
st_shaw
Master

Serves you right for talking about Ubiquiti on this forum 😀

Connect to eth0. Run the basic configuration wizard. Reboot. Then move cable to eth1 to connect to 192.168.1.1.

Eth0 becomes the WAN interface after running the wizard and that’s why you cannot connect.

Oh, and you need to manually configure your computer’s IP to 192.168.1.x where x is not 1 to do the initial config because there’s no DHCP server running before the router is configured.
Message 482 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I can help here.  I think the Network Analyzer app is worth investing in.  I have linked it here.  It has a  rich feature set, including a LAN scan, which shows all devices connected to your WiFi, by IP address.  An attachment shows an extract of the Scan page.  Note the little blue squares containing “W”.  This means the device at that IP address has a web interface, so you find the IP address of the Orbi router and the satellite if you don’t already know it.  It gets better.  Touch a line with the W and it will open yet another page headed Details.  Note the line below showing Web Interface followed by Yes, a green dot and >.  Touch the > and it will open the Orbi web interface, which in turn will list attached devices

Scan details.jpg

Message 483 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

Hmmmn well I tried both lan 0 and lan 1 but neither worked at any time... Maybe it's just defective
Message 484 of 809
st_shaw
Master

What model do you have?

It's very unlikely that it's defective.  Factory reset and start over. Google how to do the reset.  It's not the same as Orbi.

Don't try to set it up until you've done significant homework online and you understand how to set it up.  Basic setup takes only five minutes if done correctly.  Anything beyond the basic setup requires a lot of learning.

There is almost zero support from the company (other than RMA) and almost no documentation, other than the forum. You need to invest the  time teaching yourself how to use the device.

Message 485 of 809

I have been reading pages and pages of solutions that all appear to fail. I bought my system from Best Buy, wish i would have bought the extended warranty. I have tried most or all of all the common solutions suggested only to find myself back here reading again for the "hail mary" to fix the issue. When the system is up, it works great. It never fails, at some point, 24 hours around 830pm, the system gets sluggish the whole system crashes. Reboot the router, reboot the modem and reboot all of the devices that won't auto reconnect. I didn't pay $400 for this crap. I am about to pull the plug on the satelite and just run without it, just to see what happens.

Observations:

I noticed that devices don't always connect to the closest Orbi.

After a reboot, devices connect to the proper Orbi, only later in the evening to default connection to the main Orbi.

I am just a regular guy trying to give the family a decent whole house solution. The ORBI was never sold as an Erector Set. My point being, that even a caveman should be able to set this up and maintain.

Message 486 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@millertime_101 nope caveman can't maintain as caveman does not have paperclips!!

Message 487 of 809
Shotround
Apprentice

I agree they had no paper clips. But I'm sure they had something club-like to do a 'hulk smash'.

Message 488 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

Not sure if this would be of help or not. I was having connectivity issues between my 2nd floor Orbi router and a 1st floor satellite. I also had a plug-in Orbi extender on the second floor. I moved the extender to a location on the first floor approximately underneath the 2nd floor unit. It worked for a while and then became sporadically disconnected. So I set the router to daisy chain the router and the two satellites. That worked! Sort of. The connection between the router and the first satellite kept drooping “poor” status. But, it was at least connected. I then moved the router about three feet from a Phillips Hue hub that was next to it. I powered the router off and on, and no more problems. I haven’t had the nerve to reposition the extender to where it was and turn off the daisy chaining.
Message 489 of 809
TanMan1217
Guide

I just updated my RBR40 hub and 2 RBW30 satellites to 2.1.4.16. I had previously been experiencing wireless dropouts and had split my 2.4 and 5Ghz bands to try to resolve the issue. Splitting the bands helped, but I was still experiencing dropouts, with some devices experiencing them more often. This was annoying, but not a show stopper, although those in the house with the dropping devices were rightfully more annoyed than the others.

Since the update to 2.1.4.16, though, the wireless network has been rock solid. It's only been a day so far, but the update does indeed seem to have fixed the wireless dropouts for those devices. In addition, the RBW30 in the basement had always had a "POOR" signal status, but since the update, it now has a "GOOD" status, and all the devices in tha basement have had solid connections.

So kudos to Netgear for finally getting this firmware right.

Message 490 of 809
Cicloforza
Guide

Unfortunately updated to 2.1.4.16 using app without seeing note to update manually.  Now getting frequent internet drops, so want to reinstall update manually, but when I try to download it to Explorer by using link given on the support site and try to extract it, I get an error msg saying Couldn't Mount File The Disk Image is Corrupted.

First question-How do I download the correct version of 2.1.4.16

2nd question-When I do download it, do I have to reset to factory defaults and then install, or can I just re-install the new firmware.

Thanks

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 491 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

<p>att Cicloforza, re Post 517, try <a href="https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK30.aspx#download" target="_self">clicking here</a>&nbsp;for a link to the firmware you want. &nbsp;Or&nbsp;<a href="https://www.netgear.com/support/download/" target="_self">here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Message 492 of 809
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Cicloforza

You can get the files from the support page I linked the RBR50 below you may need to search for your orbi model in the support page if this is not the model you have.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

DarrenM

Message 493 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You can get downloads here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx#download

Yes, download the file, then use IE11 or FF browser with a wired connected PC and re-upload the Satellite(s) first, then the router. Factory ERASE or reset the satellite and router and set up from scratch...

@Cicloforza wrote:

Unfortunately updated to 2.1.4.16 using app without seeing note to update manually.  Now getting frequent internet drops, so want to reinstall update manually, but when I try to download it to Explorer by using link given on the support site and try to extract it, I get an error msg saying Couldn't Mount File The Disk Image is Corrupted.

2nd question-When I do download it, do I have to reset to factory defaults and then install, or can I just re-install the new firmware.

Thanks

Message 494 of 809
Cicloforza
Guide

Why is this so difficult?  Ive tried many times to download the update on Chrome and Edge and I get the same message, the file is corrupt, when I try to unzip. Why does Netgear make everything so friggin' complicated?  Anyone had success with downloading/unzipping this particular model update?

Thanks,

Message 495 of 809
Cicloforza
Guide

FURRYe38,

Please tell me what you mean by re-uploading the satellite and then the router.

Thanks,

Message 496 of 809
DavidShawP
Star

It's unfortunate that so many people have repeated issues.  I upgraded by clicking the "upgrade" link in the orbilogin.net admin page, and upgraded the base and both satellites with one click.  I didn't use any apps, or download any firmware manually, and I've had no issues.

Circle still works great.  I've had no reboots.  Performance is fine (200+ Mbps wirelessly, 1Gbps wired) with 26+ devices connected.  I can view video from my Ring cameras with no issues.  None of my kids have complained, and they push it hard (usually 2-4 Netflix streams going in the house at any given time, plus both my teenagers playing multiplayer games).

When I first got the Orbi, I was disappointed in the reliability.  However, the last 4-5 months it's really been flawless.  The firmware upgrade that added Circle was the start of stability for me.  I've been really happy.

BTW, neither of my satellites are hardwired.  I do have some Sonos speakers plugged into the Ethernet ports on the satellites, but that's it.  

Message 497 of 809
radamo
Apprentice

My system seems much more stable and reliable now that I went back to a wireless satellite connection. I still see an occasional drop but I think the system doesn't handle roaming very well.  When you move from the satellite back into range of the router.  Seems to struggle a bit. 

Glad your system is working well for you.  

Message 498 of 809
nicholb
Luminary

@Cicloforza wrote:

Thanks

The manual note was from before 2.1.4.16 was available in-app. It has now been moved to auto/in-app updates so there would be no difference upgrading manually or by using the app. 

If you want to try a factory reset I know some have reported that it helps some issues. You would not have to reinstall the firmware, just go through the setup again. 

Message 499 of 809
ajshurts
Apprentice

I think I have finally come to the conclusion that the Orbi is a competent Access Point with "mesh-like" capabilities and an awful router.

It's a shame because the Orbi includes a very competent and powerful processor.  My suggestion would be for Netgear to open the system and allow 3rd-party firmware.

Until then, I will be relying on a Ubiquiti ER-Lite for handling the routing tasks.

Message 500 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7