Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

eljarviso
Luminary

I've come to that conclusion too.  I've been using an ASUS AC-87u as a router larger in part to it's competent QoS and the Trend Micro security (basically a super stripped down version of Deep Security/OSSEC).  I'll have to check out the ubiquiti edge router.  I've been wanting something more robust.

Message 501 of 809

@cheshbr wrote:

No, I can’t run my Orbis in router mode because I have a basic DSL service requiring a modem, and mine, a Billion 7800VDOX modem/router, handles the routing. I mearly disabled WiFi, hooked up the Orbis in AP mode and experienced a great outcome first time (although the wired backhaul fought me at first).  I bought Netgear Orbi for its mesh and coverage functions, and when I do get some new high speed broadband (yes folks, we here in Australia are being dragged kickin’ and screamin’ into the 21st century with new fibre infrustructure to be made available across the nation by 2020) I may try the Orbis in router mode as I won’t need the Billion. I could still use the Billion as a router only, but it’s a bit dated, and I too like the sound of the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X. I’d love hear about your experience with it. Good luck. 

Wanted to follow up. As I indicated earlier, I have a lot of devices and 4 kids thrashing the wireless. I experienced a lot of issues first with the satellite (devices were attaching but no active internet connection). Unplugging the satellite (wireless backhaul) and plugging back in or resetting the entire system was the only way I could achieve stability (which I don't really call stable). I RMA'd the satellite to no avail (still had the same issues with the new one). The longest I was able to run the system continuously was around 6 days before having to go through the unplug or reset. I also experienced the same issue with the main router at least 2 times (my son told me he unplugged and plugged back in to remediate).

I purchased the EdgerouterX, setup was fairly simple using the built in wizards. I won't know for a few more days, whether or not this has remediated the situation. I'm hopeful that it does and will report back in a few more days. If it does, I would think that perhaps the routing on these units is suspect and that perhaps less use (or light use), of the system doesn't manifest itself with all users (ie. some users experience these issues, and some do not). 

More to follow.

Message 502 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

So essentially Netgear Engineering has given up? Everything is resolved ? No Beta Firmware coming to test?  Is this the finalized finished product we paid $400+ for?

Message 503 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

That's how i interpret it. No one from the company has chimed in here at all.
Message 504 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't post when FW updates are forthcoming, nor when beta's are available. During the life span of the Orbi, FW update would be made available at NGs descression. Users will have to be patient for FW updates to be released and don't assume anything.

@JMU1998 wrote:

So essentially Netgear Engineering has given up? Everything is resolved ? No Beta Firmware coming to test?  Is this the finalized finished product we paid $400+ for?

Message 505 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

Point being nobody from ng has chimed in about anything for weeks. Like they are doa
Message 506 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

Netgear has seemed less and less involved in this community forum over time. They aren't really obligated and don't probably want to get into the minutae, after all it's a community forum.

All I know is that there is still betas going on with Orbis and netgear is planning on releasing even more new model of said Orbis. Whether we are going to see a v2 and a branch in firmware because of the hardware change, it's anybody's guess from the outside looking in.

For those of us who have used Netgear products forever, it's gotta be pushing close to 18 years for me, are used to v2 hardware that had same cases but tweaks under the hood. Maybe they are more reluctant to do that these days and prefer to launch a new model.

I'm fortunate that I haven't had that many problems, never master reset outside of a beta, have participated in numerous betas, and have been using my launch RBR50 as a router for almost two years. I wasn't involved in the beta for the initial product though, but did get a RBK50 set as soon as they were available.
Message 507 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

So with v2 hardware it will be same story new day...

Message 508 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

To JMU1998, post 598, you have submitted a sentence that makes no sense in a public forum.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 509 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

It makes sense to me with v2 hardware probably a different Firmware will be released which we will Beta test for NG for a year again? 

Message 510 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

To JMU1998, I still have no idea what you are on about.  You say “it makes sense to me with V2 hardware”.  What are you talking about?  Forums are platforms for people with common interests to exchange ideas and tips and tricks, and share solutions, not meaningless, overly brief cryptic comments.  And for clarity, punctuation is useful, too.

Message 511 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

I apologize for my cryptic words and poor punctuation any other complaints?

Message 512 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

What I am really frustrated about after a year is several issues remain unresolved.  I have learned to live with them now mostly by using Orbi in AP mode.  However, the issue of not being able to get the sattalite show up in the list other than as attached to main unit, is very bothersome. I have tried factory resets, nvram wipe no matter what I try.  I do not have managed switches in my setup either.

Message 513 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

No, JMU1998, no other complaints.  Now back to Netgear Orbi, and the issues you are raising.  Please elaborate

Message 514 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

What he said made sense to me. He was saying that when the next version of orbi is released we will still be beta testing it for them for $400 . I tend to agree with that statement. I had a Netgear wndr3700 v4 and it worked great. I can't believe this is the same company that made they great router because it's night and day difference
Message 515 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I too run my Orbis in AP mode, and I don’t have the issues you describe.  I have mentioned before a beaut app called “Net Analyzer” that maps SSIDs when you roam between Orbi devices, lists all devices attached to the Orbi network (but not differentiating between router and satellite), and best of all, a direct route to the Orbi router and satellite web interfaces (open menu option LAN, then scan, and look for the small white “W” in a light blue box.  Touch that, and the next screen shows “Web Interface Yes” with a green dot).  

If you try this and still no success, try this. Download the firmware for 2.1.4.16 separately for each Orbi, and manually install the FW, Satellite first.  Then power cycle them and see what happens.

Also, as you are in AP mode, how good is your primary router?  Is it set up optimally, and have you configured DHCP?  I have always reserved IP addresses in my primary router which are passed on to the Orbis, making device identification easier.

Message 516 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I've setup my friends 50 series system for him, ROUTER mode, and has had no complaints about it. I keep asking him how things are going. Says no issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

If you feel your system is not working well, you might ask for an RMA. 

Message 517 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@cheshbr Thanks for the tip about the NetAnalyzer app I will definitely give it a try next week.  As to downloading Firmware separately I have done that.  Also factory reset sattalite and main unit, nvram wipe on both, manually re-entered configuration settings, many reboots etc... I have a googlefiberbox acting as the router with wifi disabled.  Orbi in AP mode, all my devices in my network have hard coded IPs entered into router already.  1GB down/up connection, no managed switches.  Still the same issue persists for last several firmwares that I have alluded to in past/previous posts.

Message 518 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Hey JMU1998, I have a couple of additional ideas.  

• Can you try another primary router?  Alternatively set up your Orbis at a friend’s house?  This is a way to check once and for all if the issues you are experiencing are in the signal path before the Orbis at your house
  • If you have Ethernet at another point in your house where you normally plug in the satellite, then swap the location of the router and the satellite - put the router where the satellite was, and the sat where the router was.  As long as the internet input goes into the yellow WAN port on the Orbi router, it should make no difference to the overall config.  
  • You could also swap out the Ethernet cable(s) you are currently using, too, in case they are the problem.

If, at the end of this suite of troubleshooting, nothing has changed, then I suspect you may have faulty units.

Message 519 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

Thats new products but not current orbi firmware.
Message 520 of 809
Cicloforza
Guide

I updated firmware by using the windows app and the router seems to have stabilized now; however, when I view the status of the FW Update on the app, it shows the Satellite as Current Version with the 2.1.4.16 but the Status as either "no internet" or "updating firmware".  The Router shows 2.1.4.16 with No new firmware available.

The Attached Devices shows several devices attached to the satellite and they have been operating normally for a few days.

I haven't done a hard reset on the router or the satellite.  Should I hard reset both to avoid future issues with device drops?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 521 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, others have reported doing a factory erase on the satellites and router then setup from scratch helped them.

@Cicloforza wrote:

I updated firmware by using the windows app and the router seems to have stabilized now; however, when I view the status of the FW Update on the app, it shows the Satellite as Current Version with the 2.1.4.16 but the Status as either "no internet" or "updating firmware".  The Router shows 2.1.4.16 with No new firmware available.

The Attached Devices shows several devices attached to the satellite and they have been operating normally for a few days.

I haven't done a hard reset on the router or the satellite.  Should I hard reset both to avoid future issues with device drops?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 522 of 809
SDplinker
Guide

RBK23 doesn't work at all with wired backhaul for me.  Tried plugging in both satellites - one at a time.  Whole thing just goes offline.  Also on 2.1.4.16 - bummed.  I liked the Orbi features but if it's going to do this I'm just going to send it back for Google wifi.  Slower but backhaul actually works.  I've got Cat5e and would love to use it.

Message 523 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I don’t know anything about RBK23, but when setting up my RBK50 satellite on wired backhaul, initially I found endless magenta ovals when plugging in the already router-connected RJ45 Ethernet cable to the satellite, but I had instant success first time by inverting the procedure.  

Here’s what worked.  

Ethernet cable ready to plug into a LAN port on the router, and the other end of the same cable plugged into the satellite.  (My cable is direct, by the way, no switch). Then, with power on at both devices, plug the RJ45 cable into the router.  This worked for me first time, after a significant number of failures making the final connection at the satellite end.  Good luck 

Message 524 of 809
SDplinker
Guide

RBK23 only has 2 ports per device so there's no way to plug direct.  RBK23 is fairly new I think (model is not in drop-down in the forums) - hoping for the best.  It's a drag when my router is up on a cabinet upstairs and the satellites are dispersed - lots of trudging up and down.  🙂

Message 525 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7