Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 on RBK50 - manual update vs online update

ajshurts
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

@ds-will wrote:

I found that my Orbi auto upgraded its firmware.  I'm curious what's to keep it from doing again if one downgrades?

Check out this post:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 551 of 809
globespy
Apprentice

Thanks I found this too!

I think perhaps the reason for the IPV6 issues is what seems from my reading like a very long standing issue (read close to a decade) where netgear refuse to allow the user to disable IPV6 ICMP6 filtering.

This is widley accepted as a major contributor to IPV6 issues (random drops of connection reverting back to IPV4 etc), yet netgear doesn't appear to give two flying effs despite their entire competition (Asus, D-Link, etc) having this feature for years.

I've confirmed that Comcast is not the problem, that Win 10 firewall is not the problem, it's Netgear!

We will never have a stable IPV6 solution as long as these arrogant douches continue to ignore their customer base.

There doesn't seem to be a workaround either and some pretty techy people have tried.

Hearing many great things about Asus' latest mesh offering but I've spent far too much money on various options in the last 6 months (Google Wifi, Velop, Amplify) to go down this track again.

Message 552 of 809
tsig
Luminary

you've know that netgear has ignored an issue for close to a decade, but bought their product anyways?

Message 553 of 809
globespy
Apprentice

deleteed 

Message 554 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Hey ajshurts, you say “Assuming something is perfect because it works for you is not the way to solve problems”. WHAT PROBLEMS?  

You obviously have a great deal of technical knowledge that I do not, and because of that knowledge you dig deep, looking for problems that mey or mey not exist.  Your response reminds me of a guy I knew who installed every anti-virus application available, yet he was the only one I knew who got virus attacks. 

My simple philosophy is that if it works, I got what I paid for and quite frankly I don’t care if I have an 802.1D Spanning Tree protocol. 

Message 555 of 809
kuan815
Aspirant

@globespy what is "completely broken" means? it's function problem? or else?

Message 556 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the problem is a mis-configuration issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Horrible-Performance-issues-with-Multi-users-no-it-s-not-my/m-...

@kuan815 wrote:

@globespy what is "completely broken" means? it's function problem? or else?

Message 557 of 809
Cicloforza
Guide

When I updated to v2.1.4.16, the box for Disable IGMP Proxying was checked causing inablility to send/receive e-mails on Outlook 2010 and problems with internet connection.  After troubleshooting other areas of my computer for several days, I finally found that to be the issue.  Hope this helps others.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 558 of 809
pup0975
Star

I'm having the exact same issue with my Macbook Pro. I'm on 2.1.4.10. My MCS drops to 7 usually when I've moved my Macbook outside of the room the Orbi is in. Internet speed which is 100+Mbps usually caps at 40Mbps. Turning off the wifi on the Macbook and then turning it back on, usually bumps in the MCS back to 8 and my full speed returns. This issue has dated back to at least 2.1.4.10. 

Message 559 of 809
pup0975
Star

@computersteve wrote:

So I think there is definetly something wrong with this firmware.. I have done the factory resets & had good results up until 2 days ago when I noticed the wifi speed seemed sluggish. So I checked at what speed was my iMac connecting to the orbi usually it has an MCS index of 9 and its in the range of 700 something mbs.. but when I checked this time it dropped to MCS index 7 and is consistently staying locked at 585 mbs. So I really do agree with the other users who say this firmware release cuts the throughput of the wifi. I haven't moved any of the devices, and they are located on oposite sides of my desk. Now when I reboot it jumps back up to MCS index 9 700 something mbs but then after like 5 minutes it drops back down to a locked 585 mbs. I also notice that unchecking / rechecking the options daisy chain, Fast Roaming, MU-MIMO, Implicit Beamforming do really nothing.. I notice no change. I will not reset this router again to defualts, I did so twice & I have an outside orbi mounted its a pain in the A$$ to unmount and resync. Netgear instructed us that 2.1.4.10 would be the firmware that required a factory reset it was never mentioned that 2.1.4.16 would also need that. A factory reset SHOULD NOT BE A FIX .... it should be used to get you back to a working state (out of the box state) but if the firmware is defective from the factory there is no point to keep reseting it.. it just resets the problem. 

I'm having the exact same issue with my Macbook Pro. I'm on 2.1.4.10. My MCS drops to 7 usually when I've moved my Macbook outside of the room the Orbi is in. Internet speed which is 100+Mbps usually caps at 40Mbps. Turning off the wifi on the Macbook and then turning it back on, usually bumps in the MCS back to 8 and my full speed returns. This issue has dated back to at least 2.1.4.10. 

Message 560 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Ok.. so what happened to any new beta updates... it seems as if progress stalled at V2.1.4.16 @DarrenM

Message 561 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...

@pup0975 wrote:

Message 562 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

FWIW ...  enabling WMM makes a huge difference in speed.

Message 563 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Yeah something im noticing is.. I don't think the connectivity to the Backhaul Status accuratly represents what is actually going on. What I mean is. I have an airport express on my deck that I use for my outside speakers. The airport express always seems to have connectivity problems because my network never reaches & the signal is not strong enough. I thought I would solve this by getting the Orbi outdoor access point RBS50Y, & putting it inbetween the airport extreme / router (orbi RBR50). While the Orbi RBR50 on the status page is saying that the RBS50Y has a connection of 5G and a backhaul status of Good I am incapable of getting a constant stream of music from apple music to the airport express. All that happens is the music starts then stops, and then repeats over & over.. never playing the song correctly. Now I have tried moving the outdoor access point to opposite wall of the orbi router just on the external wall & moving the airport litteraly a few feet away... still stutter. I have tried moving it further as to maybe the RBS50Y is getting to strong a signal, and still no change. All the time the status never changes, occsionally the device just vanishes but in about 3 minutes it reappears with a good status. sometimes I move the orbi RBR50 like 35 feet away from the RBS50Y (the whole opposite side of my house) & unless this thing has a satelite attached to it.. I doubt on 5G (a weaker signal to begin with) that it is getting a "GOOD" signal....... yet it still says that. That is why I think I notice that the daisy chain thing never works... because the accuracy of the actual signal is not correct. I think that the orbi just isn't compatible with the airport express because doing anything to try & resolve it (turning off WMM, Tried Splitting the SSID's,Tried shutting off & on fast roaming,Mu-MiMO,Beamforming ..  By the way, I finally resolved the airport express problem by just using a Power Line network adapter. No stutter anymore... plus now I have the airport express creating a wifi network for my deck lol. Disappointed I couldn't just use the orbi but with all the problems it has been facing, I expected it. 

Message 564 of 809
Royit
Aspirant

Same boat - tried velop changed to Orbi and was stable until this last 2.1.4.16 release.  Now had to pull wired back haul just to get the network functional. Speedtest showing 200mbs for my gig service even when 2 feet from the router. Waiting to dump and switch ...but not to netgear. The app is not as functional as competition and this Orbi situation has left a bad taste. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 565 of 809
bryandmlee
Apprentice

@BretD @AmitR @DarrenM Some low hanging fruit to fix: it seems the character limit validation for setting a new admin login password (the 32-character max) wasn't included/executed properly under ADVANCED > Administration > Set Password.

I had changed my password to longer than 32 characters and the change *was accepted*, but I then subsequently couldn't log in—not knowing then that there was actually a character limit in place. There was not much other choice but  to reset my Orbi system (because I had disabled password recovery), and I found out about the character limit in the initial setup. So the character limit validation at least works and shows the relevant error message in the inital setup process. I haven't tried on the Orbi app, and I don't have the Genie app, so I don't know about whether the issue also occurs there.

Message 566 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@computersteve what new Beta? To speak of such is treason! Everything has been fixed, those who have issues it is their own problem and/or they are imagining things.

Message 567 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

JMU1998, re “Treason”, I have no comment on whether everything had been fixed, but from my perspective, my RBK50s are working just fine in AR mmode, with Ethernet backhaul, and all attached devices where they should be, and there are others who also claim the same thing.  

And then there is the silent majority who have not reported issues, so to me it’s hard not to consider that individuals experiencing issues should consider examining their underlying hardware and network infrastructure, and look more widely at their configurations, rather than blame the Orbis and assume that Netgear has to re-engineer the software.  Such individuals do not speak for us all.  

But I do think that reviewers who flatter Orbi systems by making comments along the lines that the Orbi systems are simple, quick and easy to setup are speaking through a particular hole in their anatomy.  Orbis are not quick and easy to set up.  They are fiddly, and I have spent hours of my life that I will never get back, persevering until I got it right.  I think THAT, and a good stable foundation, are the secrets

Message 568 of 809
AC641
Luminary

I live in the UK countryside in a converted barn with very thick outer walls and some thick inner as well.   I have my RBK50 operating as the router and use Powerline adapters to provide an Ethernet backhaul.  In recent days I have had two (planned and notified) power interuptions as the local infrastructure is upgraded.  When the power was restored on neither occasion did the Orbi system come up serviceable on its own.  It took around an hour to resolve on the first occasion, a few minutes on the second.  

When the system comes back up there was no networking or internet.  As soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the satellite providing the wired backhaul the network and internet returned.  If I plugged the Ethernet cable back in the network was once again lost.  This was 100% repeatable.  On both occasions the solution that returned the network to stability was as follows:

Unplug the wired backhaul Ethernet cable

Within the router GUI disconnect the satellite

Re-attach the satellite via wireless as a new satellite

Once established reconnect the wired backhaul Ethernet cable.

I have another scheduled power outage on 8 August so hopefully recovery will be quick.  However, this shouldn't be necessary.

Message 569 of 809

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 on RBK50 - manual update vs online update

Dear Forum/Community members, Can somebody help me understand why Netgear only explains "manual update" on the support website? Today, I used "online update" to 2.1.4.16 and admit it was a mess. I lost internet connection, had to restart a couple of times, tried different routes to switch off all, restarting routers/satellites in different sequences, with or with ethernet cables (ethernet backhaul!) pluggin or out.

Ultimately, my "online update" worked only after switching off all, restart router first, then one satellite, then the other, without ethernet cables plugged in. System was then stable, and could plug in the ethernet cables later and the system switched to Ethernet backhaul and now appears stable. Online update was definitely full of troubles.

So back to my question: Why does Netgear explains the "manual update" on support websites, and does this mean that I should never to "online update"?

Best regards

V.

Message 570 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Manual Update means downloading the FW update files for your system to a PC. Then wire connect this PC to the satellites first and upgrading them first, then wire connect to the router and upgrade the router lastly.

I kind of ran into the same issue when setting up my friends system out of the box. After getting the satellites upgraded and the router to v.10, I did use the routers FW upgrade to upgrade ALL using it's web page to v.16 and it workd for me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@valentinissimo wrote:

Dear Forum/Community members, Can somebody help me understand why Netgear only explains "manual update" on the support website? Today, I used "online update" to 2.1.4.16 and admit it was a mess. I lost internet connection, had to restart a couple of times, tried different routes to switch off all, restarting routers/satellites in different sequences, with or with ethernet cables (ethernet backhaul!) pluggin or out.

Ultimately, my "online update" worked only after switching off all, restart router first, then one satellite, then the other, without ethernet cables plugged in. System was then stable, and could plug in the ethernet cables later and the system switched to Ethernet backhaul and now appears stable. Online update was definitely full of troubles.

So back to my question: Why does Netgear explains the "manual update" on support websites, and does this mean that I should never to "online update"?

Best regards

V.

Message 571 of 809

Thank you for your reply. I had seen your message beforen when I was looking for "online update". It came up in a thread of a user who asked a similar question like me.

Anyways ... I searched more and then stumbled across the very first post in this thread, the one in which the Netgear representative announces the 2.1.4.16 firmware and it literally says "Please use the manual firmware upgrade process to apply to your Orbi."

So this settles the question. Netgear only talks about Manual Update because that's what Netgear recommends. I find this utterly lame to propose "Online Update" in the Web Interface, and via the Orbi apps on iOS and in reality recommending a "Manual Update" for which you need a computer.

Anyways ... I can confirm that the "Online Update" was not a smooth ride. Too many issues. So manual update is the way to go. Netgear ... not what I expected.

V.

Message 572 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Valentinissimo, i have implemented the telnet script to turn off auto updates, as I prefer only manual updates because then I have control.  I have a folder on my Mac containing several versions of Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 firmware that I know work, and that I can downgrade/upgrade to as required.  The tip is to always manually install FW to the satellite first.  

Message 573 of 809
TanMan1217
Guide

@cheshbr wrote:

...The tip is to always manually install FW to the satellite first.  

I guess I lucked out. I was checking the status of my satellites as I had just moved one to try to fix a recepetion problem. I noticed that the RBW30 satellites had all updated to 2.1.4.16, but the RBR40 had not. I updated the RBR40 manually from the admin web page, and the update ran smoothly. That update seems to have fixed the drops I'd been experiencing on some devices. So it's working better than ever for me.

Message 574 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I manually updated to v.10 on my friends system. Then I figured I try to use the UI to update to v.16...it worked for me...

Message 575 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7