Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

cheshbr
Apprentice

What i’m really saying is that those of us who are not having issues with their Orbis are most likely satisfied customers, and those who are not having success should get out of Orbis altogether by returning them for a refund.  

I’m interested in the comment about the Deco M9.  Being the new kid on the block, the increased competition impacts the rest of market, including Orbi, which isn’t a bad thing for consumers

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 601 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

D-Link has two MESH systems. one forthcoming later this year.

@cheshbr wrote:

What i’m really saying is that those of us who are not having issues with their Orbis are most likely satisfied customers, and those who are not having success should get out of Orbis altogether by returning them for a refund.  

I’m interested in the comment about the Deco M9.  Being the new kid on the block, the increased competition impacts the rest of market, including Orbi, which isn’t a bad thing for consumers

Message 602 of 809
vice86
Aspirant

Cripes, looks like I'll just stay on .10 firmware. I have zero issues with my Orbi system since setting it up last year. 

Message 603 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've tried factory reset and reset/configued the entire system (again).  Exact same issues within 30 minutes.  Main router crashed.  Entire network down in just 30 minutes.

Are previoiusl firmware versions available?  I might spend the time (again) to downgrade as the instability has conicided with 1) Adding an additional satellite (giving me two satellites total) 2) updating to the 2.1.4.16 firmware.

The previous firmware build (can't remember the version but I've been keeping current) had severe multicast issues which were causing issues with other products I work on.

Message 604 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If I could return them I would however I'm out of warranty to the best of my knowledge.  I was more satisfied with the product under previous firmware versions but it still had multicast issues which they addressed in 2.1.4.16.  Now multicast works better but instability has taken over (for me).

I'm not doing anything unusual: wirless backhaul to two satellites: good 5G connection to the main Orbi router.  Factory default settings (and I've tried toggling many different advanced wireless settings based upon comments here).  The system crashes/goes down routinely.

The user level logging features do not provide enough information (or any that I'm aware of) to indidcate what the problem is.

If I had debug builds available to me and debug logging levels, I could dig into this.  But it's a black box so all I can say is: it's crashing.

The load I put on the nework seems average (35 devices).

Had I experienced this level of issues in my first 90 day period, I most certainly would have returned the product.  Now I'm stuck.

Message 605 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You can go back to v.10 and see how that works. I would first downgrade the satellies then downgrade the router.

What is the distances between the router and satellies? Feet?

Whats the size of your home? SqFt?

Any other neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Are MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming enabled on the router?

@Retired_Member wrote:

I've tried factory reset and reset/configued the entire system (again).  Exact same issues within 30 minutes.  Main router crashed.  Entire network down in just 30 minutes.

Are previoiusl firmware versions available?  I might spend the time (again) to downgrade as the instability has conicided with 1) Adding an additional satellite (giving me two satellites total) 2) updating to the 2.1.4.16 firmware.

The previous firmware build (can't remember the version but I've been keeping current) had severe multicast issues which were causing issues with other products I work on.

Message 606 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Home size is 1200sq ft.  I have moved the satelites around a bit to see what difference it would make.  Satelite 1 = 30 ft distance from router (was maybe 100 - 150 ft).  Satelite 2 = maybe 200 ft (max).  Again, they all report "good" 5G wirelesss backhaul connectivity in the admin console.  Is there something better than "good"?  "great" maybe?  If so I haven't seen anything other than "good" or "poor" (occaisonally) when I had greater distance between one satellite and the main router.

As per settings, MIMO and Fast Roaming are off (as those are off by default if I am correct).  Daisy Chain is on by default (if I am correct) but I have experimented with turning it off and had the same dismal results (network down/crash).

Neighbors, yeah.. hard to avoid but I live in a rurual area were houses are not close together.  I can see other AP's in the area (half a dozen or so).  I'd be suprised if that is an issue given the generous distance beween houses here.  But sure, it's possible.

And I'm not near any Airports, businesses, government buildings etc... this is a rural neighborhood with large lots and a lot of space between houses.

Message 607 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so for a 1200sqft home, the router alone can handle that by itself. I would try this, turn OFF both satellites and test with the router alone for say a couple of hours or a day. You maybe running into too much wifi signal over lap in such a small area with having 3 wifi signal sources so close.

Is your home a 1 level or multi level home?

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11. if your neighbors are far away, they sholdn't impact the wifi. Find one of those channels thats not being used or has miminal usage.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming for now on the router.

See if you notice any difference experiences with just the router alone...

My home is 5000sqft and use a base and just 1 satellite. I get great coverage and performance all over the house and some out side.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Home size is 1200sq ft.  I have moved the satelites around a bit to see what difference it would make.  Satelite 1 = 30 ft distance from router (was maybe 100 - 150 ft).  Satelite 2 = maybe 200 ft (max).  Again, they all report "good" 5G wirelesss backhaul connectivity in the admin console.  Is there something better than "good"?  "great" maybe?  If so I haven't seen anything other than "good" or "poor" (occaisonally) when I had greater distance between one satellite and the main router.

As per settings, MIMO and Fast Roaming are off (as those are off by default if I am correct).  Daisy Chain is on by default (if I am correct) but I have experimented with turning it off and had the same dismal results (network down/crash).

Neighbors, yeah.. hard to avoid but I live in a rurual area were houses are not close together.  I can see other AP's in the area (half a dozen or so).  I'd be suprised if that is an issue given the generous distance beween houses here.  But sure, it's possible.

And I'm not near any Airports, businesses, government buildings etc... this is a rural neighborhood with large lots and a lot of space between houses.

Message 608 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have tested using the rourter only and the router alone is stable and I do not experience the outages.

However the single router doesn't reach as far as I need and there are areas were I don't get the range or throughput I need for 5G.

The issue is the shape and construciton of the house (U shape and stuuco) I get RF deadspots in the outer regions.

The satellites (when functioning) solve this and I get the range and bandwidth I need.

Message 609 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Where is the router placed in the U shaped home?

Ok of the router alone is working try adding just 1 satellite now. Keep it at 30 feet or a bit more if you can.

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have tested using the rourter only and the router alone is stable and I do not experience the outages.

However the single router doesn't reach as far as I need and there are areas were I don't get the range or throughput I need for 5G.

The issue is the shape and construciton of the house (U shape and stuuco) I get RF deadspots in the outer regions.

The satellites (when functioning) solve this and I get the range and bandwidth I need.

Message 610 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The placement is not ideal it's in the upper left portion of the "U".  Not by choice, but due to cable modem access.

I've tried 1 satellite (but at more like 150 ft), which was my original setup on the RBR50-V2.1.4.10 firmware, and with RBR50-V2.1.4.16, with the one satellite I was still seeing the network go down.

I can/will try with a more closely placed single satellite as you suggest and will also be downgrading to the RBR50-V2.1.4.10 firmware to see what results I get.

I strongly suspect a regression in the firmware with wireless backhaul sattelite configurations.

Message 611 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try 40 feet with just 1 satellite.

I would suggest this as well. See if you can get the cable modem moved to maybe the bottom of the U, or you can leave the cable modem where it's at and have someone install a RG46 CAT6A cable run from the cable modem placement, either up in the attic or maybe in the walls and get the end point down around where the buttom of the U is where you could place the main base router, then put 1 of the satllites at either tip of the U. You might ask about running a 2nd LAN cable run from the bottom of the U to either tip of the U and go wired back haul. Something to review.

@Retired_Member wrote:

The placement is not ideal it's in the upper left portion of the "U".  Not by choice, but due to cable modem access.

I've tried 1 satellite (but at more like 150 ft), which was my original setup on the RBR50-V2.1.4.10 firmware, and with RBR50-V2.1.4.16, with the one satellite I was still seeing the network go down.

I can/will try with a more closely placed single satellite as you suggest and will also be downgrading to the RBR50-V2.1.4.10 firmware to see what results I get.

I strongly suspect a regression in the firmware with wireless backhaul sattelite configurations.

Message 612 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Baseman70, good to see you are trying to resolve the problem.  

My experience is that pre Orbi, my Billion modem/router with WiFi functioning was not up to penetrating my inner plaster walls with any great quality, and nor is my Orbi router, so at the end of the house where the Orbi router is located, connectivity is fine, but signal strength is a bit weak, but my wired satellite in an open plan area 10 meters away from the router, is fantastic.  The satellite’s reach is phenomenal - up to 15 meters to a LIFX globe in the garden, at 100% signal strength.  This is why I praise my Orbis.  

Now to your problem, FURRYe38 is on the money with his suggestion of running new Ethernet, but if that’s not possible, you can try a powerline adapter. Here’s some information on that.  Some power line adapters may create interference, but it may be a way to see if there’s sufficient enough improvement to justify the running of cat6 cable.  That’s what I have done, which I think contributes to my successful outcome.  Re powerline adapters, I have a Netcomm power adapter with a bypass power outlet delivering a network point to an out of the way place that’s used occasionally, and it works without any issues I can detect.  My two adapters have 3 status lights that alert me to connectivity issues, which are always green.  

Good luck

Message 613 of 809
cyberprashant
Luminary

My Orbi RBK53 costco system - one of them locked up on 2.14.16 - hard crash, couldn't reset, restart, finally had to full reset using pin and re-set this up.  This is the second time this particular orbi locked up like that.  Complete freeze.  Wifi and ethernet ports.  Only difference is this setup has one ethernet satellite and one wifi satellite.  I remember hearing this was an issue in the past - is it still an issue?  I'm going to run both satellites wireless for now. 

Message 614 of 809

3 days and 20 hours ago I removed both my wired hubs(switches) from the system. They fed TV, DVD, DVR, Reciever, X_BOX. The only items direct connected to the ORBI now are true computers. Since doing so my stuff has been stable as a rock! WTF! My Amcrest security cameras have been up since the change and not 1 dropped notification. Before I was dropping signal 50-60 times a day. Could all my problems be related to my D-Link switch? How many of you are still having problems and running some type of unmanaged switch?

Message 615 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy Chain on the router if your running mixed wired and wireless back haul...

@cyberprashant wrote:

My Orbi RBK53 costco system - one of them locked up on 2.14.16 - hard crash, couldn't reset, restart, finally had to full reset using pin and re-set this up.  This is the second time this particular orbi locked up like that.  Complete freeze.  Wifi and ethernet ports.  Only difference is this setup has one ethernet satellite and one wifi satellite.  I remember hearing this was an issue in the past - is it still an issue?  I'm going to run both satellites wireless for now. 

Message 616 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Model # of these switches? 

I use both HP and D-Link NON managed switches. I have DGS-105 switches in the middle of my router and satellite...

@millertime_101 wrote:

3 days and 20 hours ago I removed both my wired hubs(switches) from the system. They fed TV, DVD, DVR, Reciever, X_BOX. The only items direct connected to the ORBI now are true computers. Since doing so my stuff has been stable as a rock! WTF! My Amcrest security cameras have been up since the change and not 1 dropped notification. Before I was dropping signal 50-60 times a day. Could all my problems be related to my D-Link switch? How many of you are still having problems and running some type of unmanaged switch?

Message 617 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Unmanaged switches are simple things.  Perhaps it’s the order In which you plug things in?  

I have my Orbis operating in AP mode, with a single output from my Billion modem/router going to the Orbi router’s yellow RJ45 WAN port.  

I have a wired backhaul running through a patch panel on the wall, and Orbi router’s LAN port 1 connects directly through the patch panel to the Satellite.  

I also have a Netgear unmanaged 16 port switch that connects to the Orbi router’s LAN port 2.  All other wired-in devices connect through this switch, either directly, or via other ports on the patch panel.  

Orbi router LAN port 3, and remaining modem LAN ports are not used.  This configuration works, and I can check each connected device one at a time if troubleshooting

Message 618 of 809
kuan815
Aspirant

@ds-will, Is with ehternet or wireless ? AP mode or Router mode? when terriable thing happen.
Message 619 of 809
davida425
Guide

Right now my router and satelite are running 2.1.4.10 and they are working great as is.  It is saying that the update version is 2.1.4.16. Since my RBR50/RBS5 are working great with 2.1.4.10, I am hesitant to upgrade to 2.1.4.16 with all the problems I have previously read about in another thread. Any thoughts or advice? TIA!

Message 620 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

Just stay on 2.1.4.10 ...

Im sure another release will be out shortly. .16 is not an improvement.

Message 621 of 809

Surfboard SB6121 plugged into ORBI main unit yellow plug, PC1 and PC2 plugged into the next 2 ports, last port is plugged into a DLINK DGS1008 position 1(disabled). DGS1008 port 2 cat 5 cable 40" to a TPLINK TL-SG1005(disabled). The TPLINK is connected to all AV devices. Taking the 2 switches out of the system seems to have solved my issues. I will try this weekend to re-introduce the TPLINK and the AV portion of the wired system. I will remove the DLink 100%.

All PC's, security cameras and ORBI remote unit have static IP's. Daisy Chain off, BEAMFORMIING and MU-MIMO enabled, Router Mode,

wireless backhaul 75' away. Currently, wireless devices are connected to the closest ORBI module. Everything is working as it should.

Message 622 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update: the thought plickens in my Orbi household!  I downgraded the router and two satellites to V2.1.4.10 last night, reran the tests and the same network outage and crash occurred.

So... I have ruled out a recent regression in the Orbi V2.1.4.16 firmware to be the cause.

In looking at what has recently changed on my network I'm now looking at the products I work on which are also mesh WiFi products that happen to use the very same Dakota radios that are in the Orbi's.

The products I work on are also mesh WiFi products but serve a different IoT related purpose (due to NDA I can not go into further detail).  I have recently added more of these devices to my network.

These products also run firmware and software that is routinely updated as they are under development at this time.

My new theory is that these IoT products (which create mesh network of their own and also heavily utilize multicast) are somehow conflicting with Orbi and contributing to and/or causing these network crashes.

To thest this theory, I have taken most (but not all for specific reasons) offline for the day to see how the network behaves.  I have also updated the Orbi's back to V2.1.4.16.

If I can prove a strong correlation between our products being on the Orbi network and the network going down that will be interesting.

It could be that other devices creating a mesh is causing issues or very heavy multicast traffic.  Multicast is definitely an area that Orbi has been working on improving.

I'd love to be able to discuss this in more detail with some Netgear engineers.

But since this topic no longer seems to be directly related to the V2.1.4.16 firmware specifically, I'll probably start a new thread.

Message 623 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's working for now, you can keep v.10 loaded. NG doesn't seem to be auto updating or auto pushing updates.

v.16 is working for my friends 50 series system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Can try my process and configuration if you want to. You can always go back to v.10.

@davida425 wrote:

Right now my router and satelite are running 2.1.4.10 and they are working great as is.  It is saying that the update version is 2.1.4.16. Since my RBR50/RBS5 are working great with 2.1.4.10, I am hesitant to upgrade to 2.1.4.16 with all the problems I have previously read about in another thread. Any thoughts or advice? TIA!

Message 624 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like even though these switches say there non managed, im wondering if there other features could be playing a roll in causing problems.

You might try the DGS-108 and 105 series:

http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/8-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch/

@millertime_101 wrote:

Surfboard SB6121 plugged into ORBI main unit yellow plug, PC1 and PC2 plugged into the next 2 ports, last port is plugged into a DLINK DGS1008 position 1(disabled). DGS1008 port 2 cat 5 cable 40" to a TPLINK TL-SG1005(disabled). The TPLINK is connected to all AV devices. Taking the 2 switches out of the system seems to have solved my issues. I will try this weekend to re-introduce the TPLINK and the AV portion of the wired system. I will remove the DLink 100%.

All PC's, security cameras and ORBI remote unit have static IP's. Daisy Chain off, BEAMFORMIING and MU-MIMO enabled, Router Mode,

wireless backhaul 75' away. Currently, wireless devices are connected to the closest ORBI module. Everything is working as it should.

Message 625 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7