Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

JMU1998
Luminary

I was able to see my sattalite listed as a sattalite in the list on the Main unit before 2.1.4.16 the release prior.  Nothing has changed in my setup since then.  Orbi RBR50 is in AP mode and I have one satellite wired backhaul.  I have a gigabit down/up googlefiber and all my cabling is new cat6 and cat7 high quality.  I have a switch s8000 Netgear in the mix.

Mumimo, Daisy Chain, beamforming, fast roam all disabled.

Orbi in AP mode 

ALL devices have static IPs entered into googlefiber Box/modem

multiple reboots performed of every single device

Fresh Firmware installs performed on sattalite and main unit per instructions on forum 

Hand input config settings after nvram wipe

Followed procedure to add sattalite 

Followed forum instructions to add sattalite 

...no matter what I try with this version sattalite does not show as a sattalite but as attached device to the main unit.

Message 651 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that while in AP mode it just shows in the mail list with everything else. Let see if one of the forum moderators can give us some info.

@DarrenM

@JMU1998 wrote:

I was able to see my sattalite listed as a sattalite in the list on the Main unit before 2.1.4.16 the release prior.  Nothing has changed in my setup since then.  Orbi RBR50 is in AP mode and I have one satellite wired backhaul.  I have a gigabit down/up googlefiber and all my cabling is new cat6 and cat7 high quality.  I have a switch s8000 Netgear in the mix.

Mumimo, Daisy Chain, beamforming, fast roam all disabled.

Orbi in AP mode 

ALL devices have static IPs entered into googlefiber Box/modem

multiple reboots performed of every single device

Fresh Firmware installs performed on sattalite and main unit per instructions on forum 

Hand input config settings after nvram wipe

Followed procedure to add sattalite 

Followed forum instructions to add sattalite 

...no matter what I try with this version sattalite does not show as a sattalite but as attached device to the main unit.

Message 652 of 809
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Folks,

The amount of troubleshooting required to make a consumer plug and play WiFi router work properly in people's homes is staggering. Look at the number of posts in this thread alone, and then the Orbi forums in general. You really only ever see this level of engagement in consumer products in two scenarios:

1. The product has turned into a hobbyist hack friendly product that people are doing all sorts of things it wasn't designed to do, but can.
2. The product doesn't work well and sold a lot based on intial reviews that were positive.

Guess which one the Orbi falls into? Maybe 20 devices connected is a problem (there are some older/cheap wifi routers out there that can't really handle more than 10 devices). Orbi isn't cheap or old. Maybe load is the problem (hope not...). Perhaps it is environmental? Point is, the consumers shouldn't have to spend a lot of time and cycles to beta test Netgear's firmware releases. They should be regression testing this stuff in multiple environments that is representative of what is out in the field. Big houses with at least 20 devices connected and working at a minimum. We are in an IoT age where it is not uncommon to see 20+ devices on a home network.

What I suspect they are doing is they are fixing bugs, testing those specific bugs in a single room with 1 router and 1 sat, and calling it good and pumping out a release. That's not how you test systems. This is how old bugs creep back in and how you get unstable releases. And just because it's working well for Person A doesn't mean it's good. It means Person A's setup is closer to what Netgear is testing against internally. That's it. If they are not testing enough setups/scenarios, then they will never find all issues in the software and it will continue to be a problem.

Of course, it could simply be bad hardware, too. It is quite possible there are batches of bad Obris out there. But given the performance has been degrading over multiple software releases one tends to suspect the software. 

Message 653 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Poeple seem to forget that one of the main reasons for online forums or communities is to talk to each other and help either other out. What some of us are are trying to do here.

Message 654 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Vinz59, so your Orbi Network is in router mode.  What do you mean by “mesh mode”?

Are your satellites wired to the router, or connected by 5G wireless?  Are the four Orbi devices on your network using the same firmware version?  This is essential

ONe tactic is to bring all devices into the room where your internet access begins, all switched off.  Then switch on the router only, and see if it works and is stable.  Assuming you reach this state with some success, then switch on one satellite and see if both devices work and are stable.  Then, one by one, bring the other seats into the network.  Eventually you will have all four running, in router mode, with a 5GG (wireless) backhaul.  Is this stable?  If so, begin distributing the satellites, one by one to see if the problem is the location of the sats.  

Try these steps and let’s know how you go

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 655 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Like tsig, my orbis just work, so a fully functioning, stable Orbi network is achievable

Message 656 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

My friends Orbi I set up for him is still going strong. He's happy with it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 657 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

For what it’s worth, I did that and then redistributed my three satellites.  The two on the second floor where the router is located connected fine. The one on the first floor did not. There’s a tin ceiling between the two floors. However, the first floor satellite does not have a tin ceiling above it. So, I kept moving one of the 2nd floor satellites until I found a sweet spot where the 1st floor connected to it and then through to the router ( branching pattern). 

All is well. Except when we experience a degradation of service from our ISP. The 2nd floor satellite seems to degrade to a “poor” status and goes back to “good” once our ISP service goes back to normal. However, every few days, I have to reboot the ISP modem and the the router to restore service. I suspect that the ISP’s performance is affecting my mesh network performance but I cannot prove it.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 658 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have the Orbi system setup? Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

@GEMASON wrote:

For what it’s worth, I did that and then redistributed my three satellites.  The two on the second floor where the router is located connected fine. The one on the first floor did not. There’s a tin ceiling between the two floors. However, the first floor satellite does not have a tin ceiling above it. So, I kept moving one of the 2nd floor satellites until I found a sweet spot where the 1st floor connected to it and then through to the router ( branching pattern). 

All is well. Except when we experience a degradation of service from our ISP. The 2nd floor satellite seems to degrade to a “poor” status and goes back to “good” once our ISP service goes back to normal. However, every few days, I have to reboot the ISP modem and the the router to restore service. I suspect that the ISP’s performance is affecting my mesh network performance but I cannot prove it.

Message 659 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

Router mode

Modem: Touchstone TM822G Telephony modem
Message 660 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF The Orbi system, and while it's OFF, pull the batter from the ISP modem and unplug it from the power cable for 1 minuted then back on? Then power on the Orbi system?

@GEMASON wrote:
Router mode

Modem: Touchstone TM822G Telephony modem

The ISP modem should be inpacting the satellite since its' on the LAN side of the Orib and not the WAN side...

Message 661 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

I'm assuming that you meant "should not be". I agree, but I ony see this happen when the ISP's service has degraded.

Message 662 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry bout the typo, yes, should NOT be.

What happens if you disconnect the ISP modem from the router. Can you access any shared network resources on the LAN side thru the satellite?

Message 663 of 809
jweise
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.4.16

RBR50 continues to drop internet connection with 2.1.4.16.

Win 10 machine and Arris SB6183 modem.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 664 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

jweise, you say that your Orbi network drops internet connections.  The Orbis are a WiFi distribution system, which is separate from the internet.  

(For example you could install a NAS in your house full of movies and music, and the Orbis could wirelessly distribute the material to all devices in your house without touching the internet.  I do this in my car with a travel router and a HDD, giving my grand children in flight movies on a long trip)

if you are dropping internet connections, perhaps the correctly functioning Orbis are simply distributing the dodgy signal from your ISP or your modem.  

Is your Arris modem performing router duties, and if so, you should be running your Orbi network in AP mode.  Having two router’s on the same network performing router duties that are not correctly set up will be a potential source of problems, eg double NAT, two DHCP servers, etc

i have a Mac application called “WiFi Explorer” that shows a full suite of performance measurements of each Orbi’s 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, and signal strength can be graphed over time.  Samsung has an Android version of something similar, but I forget its name.

I have attached a screen dump of a WiFi Explorer session

Message 665 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and other unused channels on 5Ghz.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Whats the distances between the router and satellites.

How big is your home? Sq Ft? 

Has a power cycle been performed with the Orbi system after the FW update? 
How about a factory reset as well after the FW update or power cycle if the problem continues? 

@jweise wrote:

RBR50 continues to drop internet connection with 2.1.4.16.

Win 10 machine and Arris SB6183 modem.

Message 666 of 809
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Try to log in to the router web page. If you cant, power off the satellite.

Refresh the web page. see if you can still get into the router web page or not.

If yes, its the satellite causing the router to hang. 

The CPU of the router can become very high.

This happens on 2.1.4.16 and the satellite is connected via ethernet (wired) backhaul

For mine, this is the case.

now, i have reload the 2.1.3.4 version to the router and satellite and using wireless totally at my brother's home.

Will see how stable 2.1.3.4 is

regards

chris

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 667 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

This works on v.16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@chuahyenhua wrote:

Try to log in to the router web page. If you cant, power off the satellite.

Refresh the web page. see if you can still get into the router web page or not.

If yes, its the satellite causing the router to hang. 

The CPU of the router can become very high.

This happens on 2.1.4.16 and the satellite is connected via ethernet (wired) backhaul

For mine, this is the case.

now, i have reload the 2.1.3.4 version to the router and satellite and using wireless totally at my brother's home.

Will see how stable 2.1.3.4 is

regards

chris

Message 668 of 809
Zdman
Guide

Came back here after a few weeks to see if there were any good updates. Sadly no fw updates so I still cannot use wired backhaul and QOS just seems to do nothing. I really hate to ditch an expensive router and 3 satellites and start over, but I am fast approaching that point. I am also updating my Amazon reviews and suggest anyone else who feels ditched by netgear do the same. By the way, I do realize that for many people this product works fine. It worked fine for me with on Router and one wireless satellite, but for complex setups, this expensive system just does not cut it.  

Message 669 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Is there anyway to force the sattalite to utilize wired backhaul, it just keeps connecting as wirelessly.  Main unit is in AP mode, tried factory resets on both and many reboots, swapped cables, synced via wireless to main unit and then plugged cable.

Message 670 of 809
jweise
Apprentice

I am sitting in my office and computer is connected to Orbi router with network cable.  One satellite is on downstares.

MIMO and Fast Roaming are off.

Daisy Chain is on. It is needed for good whole house (2,700 sq. ft.) coverage.

Set to channel 6, but don't believe it made a difference.

I have not tried factory reset.  Will do over weekend.

Message 671 of 809
Zdman
Guide

JUM - I have spent a lot of time trying to do just what you are asking and the answer is basically no. Why Netgear did not include this is beyond me. In my case, I could get the satellite up in wired mode by various power cycling sequences, but it would always go back to wireless (a very weak wireless at that). Also, when it went to wireless it seemed to cause data storms on my network - I beleive is i looping date from the wirelss to the wired side. For now, I repositiioned my satellites and am limping along with a week wireless daisy chain solution while I wait for Netgear to fix the issue. 

Message 672 of 809
jweise
Apprentice

I am connected directly to router with network cable.  Modem is connected to router.  I believe router is causing internet loss.  Did not have this loss with previous router setups.

Message 673 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

LEt us know if you can do the factory reset this weekend and set up from scratch. I would power OFF the ISP modem as well for 1 minute, then back on, then do the factory reset. You can do this from the router web page under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/BackupRestore menu/ERASE. Then close the browser then reopen it and walk thru the set up wizard.

@jweise wrote:

I am connected directly to router with network cable.  Modem is connected to router.  I believe router is causing internet loss.  Did not have this loss with previous router setups.

Message 674 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I got wired back haul working my friends system:

Can try this if you like.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

Any network swtiches in the mix? If so, what the Mfr and model of the switch?

@Zdman wrote:

Came back here after a few weeks to see if there were any good updates. Sadly no fw updates so I still cannot use wired backhaul and QOS just seems to do nothing. I really hate to ditch an expensive router and 3 satellites and start over, but I am fast approaching that point. I am also updating my Amazon reviews and suggest anyone else who feels ditched by netgear do the same. By the way, I do realize that for many people this product works fine. It worked fine for me with on Router and one wireless satellite, but for complex setups, this expensive system just does not cut it.  

Message 675 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7