Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.4.16

Thanos197
Initiate

Mine does too. I have to reset this pos at least once a day. I tired. I just want something that just works.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 676 of 809

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

I notice a lot of complaints about the connectivity issues with the wireless between satellites and the router. I am not sure if this has already been discussed before, but since day one I have setup my orbi satellites with static IPs via the RBR50 and my system has been stable with that configuration. You guys can try that and see if it works any better for you.
Message 677 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

All my devices, each one has a static IP entered into googlefiberbox and Orbi is in AP mode.  I have brand new cat6 and cat7 cables.  No matter what I try the sattalite does not show as connected sattalite.  In an earlier post I detailed my setup and troubleshooting steps I have performed thus far.  I have give up my useless attempts... too light for a boat anchor use, too toxic to set on fire, maybe might hollow it out use it as a vase for fake flowers. 

Message 678 of 809

Ok got you. I have mine setup a little differently. I have my Verizon ONT box going directly into the RBK50 (Router Mode) and then the RBR50 daisy chain to the 2 RBS50s. Would you be able to configure your's like that or do you have to make the RBR50 run in AP mode?
Message 679 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

For me atleast having Orbi in router mode was a complete and utter disaster and constant nightmare to fiddle with every other day.  AP mode it is usable and I have given up and accepted my ignorance and mistake to purchase this based on reviews.  I will live with it until I find a better alternative.  just disappointed how Netgear Engineering dropped this like a hot potato after having us Beta test it for them for a year which is fine but when it was time for them to step up they went stone cold and abandoned us not even thanking us for Beta testing it for them with our time and our patience, not even a simple thank you...instead complete silence!

Message 680 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

When you had the Orbi in router mode, did you bridge your ISP modem or use its DMZ for the Orbi in router mode? I would give this a try. Try just setting up the router and don't set up any satellites.

Also, it's possible that you may have bad HW and should look into getting it RMAd.

Not everyone is having these kinds of problems. Yes, we already know about bad ones in this thread. Smiley Wink

@JMU1998 wrote:

For me atleast having Orbi in router mode was a complete and utter disaster and constant nightmare to fiddle with every other day.  AP mode it is usable and I have given up and accepted my ignorance and mistake to purchase this based on reviews.  I will live with it until I find a better alternative.  just disappointed how Netgear Engineering dropped this like a hot potato after having us Beta test it for them for a year which is fine but when it was time for them to step up they went stone cold and abandoned us not even thanking us for Beta testing it for them with our time and our patience, not even a simple thank you...instead complete silence!

Message 681 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

When I had it in router mode, my ISPs router/modem was in bridge mode before I had googlefiber.  Since the googlefiberbox does not allow bridgemode been using it in AP mode.  I got the Orbi when it came out so I have lived with its pain in Router mode and now in AP mode. Can't RMA had it when it came out.  I am not a networking guru but understand technology been doing system administration for a while in past roles that included advanced Linux configuration knowledge and moderate networking knowledge....maybe my patience has indeed finally run out and it's time to turn it into a vase for fake flowers.  When it works it works great when it acts up it feels like a part time job keeping it running.  That is why I feel it just needs a stable Firmware but Netgear seems to have given up and moved on... I do want to thank everyone on this forum for all their useful advise and tips though.

Message 682 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the Orbi back in router mode with the new modem and use the modems DMZ for the Orbi router. Just set up the router alone for now...

Besure to disble ALL wireless on the ISP modem....

@JMU1998 wrote:

When I had it in router mode, my ISPs router/modem was in bridge mode before I had googlefiber.  Since the googlefiberbox does not allow bridgemode been using it in AP mode.  I got the Orbi when it came out so I have lived with its pain in Router mode and now in AP mode. Can't RMA had it when it came out.  I am not a networking guru but understand technology been doing system administration for a while in past roles that included advanced Linux configuration knowledge and moderate networking knowledge....maybe my patience has indeed finally run out and it's time to turn it into a vase for fake flowers.  When it works it works great when it acts up it feels like a part time job keeping it running.  That is why I feel it just needs a stable Firmware but Netgear seems to have given up and moved on... I do want to thank everyone on this forum for all their useful advise and tips though.

Message 683 of 809
jweise
Apprentice

After suffering multiple disconnects on Thursday morning I decided to see if a full factory reset would result in more reliability.  I followed the process recommended by FURRe38.  After I completed the process and Satellites (2) were up and working I noticed the following:

The Firmware had updated itself to 2.1.4.16.  This was the same as prior to reset

The Orbi and modem (Arris 6183) clocks were set at Standard time.  Prior to reset I had set the Orbi to Day Light Savings time. Not sure if this will make any difference to system reliability.

During the times I observed the system since the reset the following occurred: It ran for remainder of Thursday without any problems.  On Friday and Sunday system worked well. On Saturday the internet was lost for about 2 minutes, but system came back up on its own and worked OK for rest of day.  Around noon on Monday the system went down and came back on its own several times. Finally did a reboot of both the Modem and Router at 1 PM.  It is now 3PM and it is still working fine.

When the system works, it works great.  It gives me whole house a coverage at full speed (230 Meg).  At this point I am not really sure what to do next.  I can still bring it back to Costco, but do not know what to replace it with.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 684 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes the modem needs to be powered off as well then back on. 

Are you using manual or auto channels. If auto, this can cause a disconnect if other wifi nieghbors are near by causing interferences and the router as to reboot and find a clearer channel to use....

Can try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11...

Is MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming disabled? 

@jweise wrote:

After suffering multiple disconnects on Thursday morning I decided to see if a full factory reset would result in more reliability.  I followed the process recommended by FURRe38.  After I completed the process and Satellites (2) were up and working I noticed the following:

The Firmware had updated itself to 2.1.4.16.  This was the same as prior to reset

The Orbi and modem (Arris 6183) clocks were set at Standard time.  Prior to reset I had set the Orbi to Day Light Savings time. Not sure if this will make any difference to system reliability.

During the times I observed the system since the reset the following occurred: It ran for remainder of Thursday without any problems.  On Friday and Sunday system worked well. On Saturday the internet was lost for about 2 minutes, but system came back up on its own and worked OK for rest of day.  Around noon on Monday the system went down and came back on its own several times. Finally did a reboot of both the Modem and Router at 1 PM.  It is now 3PM and it is still working fine.

When the system works, it works great.  It gives me whole house a coverage at full speed (230 Meg).  At this point I am not really sure what to do next.  I can still bring it back to Costco, but do not know what to replace it with.

Message 685 of 809
jweise
Apprentice

Changed channel to 8.  This  looked like best choice when looking at Wifi Analyzer.

Daisy Chain seems to make coverge in my house better, so I left it on.  Other settings that you mentioned are off.

System is up now and working well.  Will see how this holds up.

Message 686 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, whos all using channels 1, 6 and 11? These are primary and should be used first if possible. if 8 is working then you'll have to see...

@jweise wrote:

Changed channel to 8.  This  looked like best choice when looking at Wifi Analyzer.

Daisy Chain seems to make coverge in my house better, so I left it on.  Other settings that you mentioned are off.

System is up now and working well.  Will see how this holds up.

Message 687 of 809
Zdman
Guide

Is disabling MU-MIMO really a good thing to do? It would seem that disabling this is going to cause a serious performance hit in certain conditions - say a person is streaming netflix in one room while a number of other people in other areas of the house are trying to access the internet? Also, I see the recommendation to disable this option, did this come from Netgear support directly (eg. do they know they have a problem with MU-MIMO on this router)?

Message 688 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Depends on if the connected clients support MIMO. It's just a troubleshooting step.

A good article:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

@Zdman wrote:

Is disabling MU-MIMO really a good thing to do? It would seem that disabling this is going to cause a serious performance hit in certain conditions - say a person is streaming netflix in one room while a number of other people in other areas of the house are trying to access the internet? Also, I see the recommendation to disable this option, did this come from Netgear support directly (eg. do they know they have a problem with MU-MIMO on this router)?

Message 689 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Zdman, about disabling MU-MIMO, The advice provided on this forum is by other users similar to yourself sharing their experiences, not (necessarily) Netgear.  It’s to help people achieve the best potential from their Orbis by trying different combinations of options that work for others, until some stability is achieved on your network

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 690 of 809
Miles267
Apprentice

2.1.4.16 is mostly set it and forget it. Also found changing the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz channels from AUTO to a selected channel works wonders. Went back to using Orbi guest WiFi network since it now isolated from LAN correctly.

When is next beta firmware being released?
Message 691 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

Finally a good tip!

Trying this out now to see if I get any stability improvement.

Message 692 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try my configuration I setup for my friends Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Running great.

NG doesn't post when FW updates will become available. Just have to keep looking is all.

Message 693 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

There has been lots of discussion in this forum about wired backhaul.  Since March 2018, when I first obtained my RBK50 Orbis (operating in AP mode), I have been successfull with a wired backhaul.

However a few days ago, after installing an Edgerouter X, wireless backhaul worked, but I couldn’t get a wired backhaul up and running for love nor money, despite a lengthy period of dogged determination.

But I got it in the end, so now I have a tip that I think might be the answer for those also having wired backhaul problems.  

Initially, the satellite in wireless mode, is harvesting nearby devices, which takes time.  After several frustrating failed attempts I lost interest for a couple of hours, and then, I decided to try again and it just worked.  No coloured ovals, straight in.

The experience is reminiscent of a learning mode, but in reality, I think the device harvesting routine dislikes being interrupted.  

I don’t have any other explanation about why establishing  a wired backhaul failed at first, but after an hour or two it worked instantly.

Worth a try?

Message 694 of 809
manikam
Aspirant

Hi,

I replaced my Netgear R7000 with Orbi RBK50.  I set them up as AP.  Previously, with my R7000, I can easily achieved my Wired LAN speed up to 900Mbps.  However, with Orbi RBK50, I can only achieved my Wired LAN speed up to 90Mbps.

What could be the issue?

Thanks

Message 695 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

@manikam    Try enabling WMM ... makes a tremendous difference in speed.

And to confirm a previous suggestion:  

Setting WiFi to a specific channel rather than AUTO has also made the connections more reliable - not perfect, but far more consistent.

Message 696 of 809
cjake
Tutor

I have a RBK50 in Router mode and one RBR50 Satellite with wireless backhaul.   After the firmware upgrade I randomly would lose internet connectivity.  The connectivity was restored after a minute or so.    

I had a Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5 port Gigabit Switch attached to the Satellite that provided wired connections to four devices.   I had no issues with the Netgear Switch when it was connected to a Netgear Powerline adapter.   Because the RBR50 has four ethernet ports, I decided to remove the Netgear Switch, and directly connect the four devices (TV, Receiver, HTPC, UHD Blu Ray player).   

Going on two weeks now since I removed the switch.  There have been no connectivity drops.

Note that I have an 8 port switch connected to the RBK50 that does not cause any issues.

Message 697 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your GS105 PS switch may have been the cause. Either something about this switch or a faulty switch.

I don't think its a managed switch though it seem to have IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet.

Not sure if this could be a cause. If your other switch is working as well, seems to point to this one GS105 switch as the culprit.

@cjake wrote:

I have a RBK50 in Router mode and one RBR50 Satellite with wireless backhaul.   After the firmware upgrade I randomly would lose internet connectivity.  The connectivity was restored after a minute or so.    

I had a Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5 port Gigabit Switch attached to the Satellite that provided wired connections to four devices.   I had no issues with the Netgear Switch when it was connected to a Netgear Powerline adapter.   Because the RBR50 has four ethernet ports, I decided to remove the Netgear Switch, and directly connect the four devices (TV, Receiver, HTPC, UHD Blu Ray player).   

Going on two weeks now since I removed the switch.  There have been no connectivity drops.

Note that I have an 8 port switch connected to the RBK50 that does not cause any issues.

Message 698 of 809
manikam
Aspirant

My Setup is ISP Fibre Connect modem -> DLink 865L (dhcp, WIFI disabled) -> Wired LAN to Orbi RBK50 -> Wired Lan PC

With NetGear R7000, my PC speedtest can achieved 900Mbps, with Orbi RBK50 only 90Mbps.

Message 699 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You should replace the DIR router with the Orbi in it's place...

@manikam wrote:

My Setup is ISP Fibre Connect modem -> DLink 865L (dhcp, WIFI disabled) -> Wired LAN to Orbi RBK50 -> Wired Lan PC

With NetGear R7000, my PC speedtest can achieved 900Mbps, with Orbi RBK50 only 90Mbps.

Message 700 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7