Reply
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability


@cheshbr wrote:

There has been lots of discussion in this forum about wired backhaul.  Since March 2018, when I first obtained my RBK50 Orbis (operating in AP mode), I have been successfull with a wired backhaul.

However a few days ago, after installing an Edgerouter X, wireless backhaul worked, but I couldn’t get a wired backhaul up and running for love nor money, despite a lengthy period of dogged determination.

 

But I got it in the end, so now I have a tip that I think might be the answer for those also having wired backhaul problems.  

 

Initially, the satellite in wireless mode, is harvesting nearby devices, which takes time.  After several frustrating failed attempts I lost interest for a couple of hours, and then, I decided to try again and it just worked.  No coloured ovals, straight in.

The experience is reminiscent of a learning mode, but in reality, I think the device harvesting routine dislikes being interrupted.  

I don’t have any other explanation about why establishing  a wired backhaul failed at first, but after an hour or two it worked instantly.

Worth a try?


The "learning mode" you're referring to is called a broadcast storm, and results from the router considering both the wired and wireless interfaces active with the same address at the same time.

 

The solution is a very basic tenet of networking called STP (Spanning Tree Protocol), designed to prevent this very issue, but apparently one Netgear hasn't heard of.  (This has been proven by at least two people manually enabling STP on the router temporarily via telnet.)  I had small hope Netgear would eventually turn STP on by default, but given there hasn't been a new beta firmware (or even any signs of life) out of engineering in quite a while, I rather doubt it now.

Message 701 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

It can also be due to IP address conflict in the DHCP server as well, and not just STP.

I've noticed on my system that sometimes for some reason, a device comes online and gets connected, something happens in DHCP services and causes two devices to get the same IP address and then this storm starts to happen on the network. ALL my switches are all lit up and LEDs are blinking constantly. I have to track down and find out which device has a conflict, turn OFF the satellite, get the device into a reserved IP address, then reboot everything and turn back on the satellite and then the system is fine. I've passed this on to NG for review.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 702 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

You're saying two satellites are given the same IP or that the router is handing out the same IP twice?  (The former could happen even in AP mode.)

 

What you're talking about is effectively the same thing, just that the two interfaces aren't on the same device, but STP would again prevent the entire network from crashing as a result, the second/duplicate device would simply be ignored with no storm.  That's how things are supposed to work.

Message 703 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

The Router and DHCP server on the router seems to be giving out same IP addresses...At least this is what I'm seeing on mine system. My systems is a gateway and router so its running in router mode.


@rhester72 wrote:

You're saying two satellites are given the same IP or that the router is handing out the same IP twice?  (The former could happen even in AP mode.)

 

What you're talking about is effectively the same thing, just that the two interfaces aren't on the same device, but STP would again prevent the entire network from crashing as a result, the second/duplicate device would simply be ignored with no storm.  That's how things are supposed to work.




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 704 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

The only other item that can effect this is Managed switches. NG hasn't given the reason or hasn't come up with a fix. Users have found that disabling IGMP protocols on there Managed switches helps get them working with Orbi. Orbi doesn't have any problems with Non Managed switches and wired back haul.


@rhester72 wrote:

You're saying two satellites are given the same IP or that the router is handing out the same IP twice?  (The former could happen even in AP mode.)

 

What you're talking about is effectively the same thing, just that the two interfaces aren't on the same device, but STP would again prevent the entire network from crashing as a result, the second/duplicate device would simply be ignored with no storm.  That's how things are supposed to work.




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 705 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 706 of 809
jsturess
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Ikigai (MR2.2 Orbi Stability) I am one of the beta tester and with this i have no problem with rebooting, but it will lose internet connection occasionally but after some minutes it back again, and it also have unstable speed. Before this i had to reboot it each day (I use the backhaul)

____________________
RBK53| Orbi Router + 3 Satellites
Arlo Pro 2 (9 cameras)
Message 707 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

@jsturess are you using Orbi in AP mode or Router mode?  I just signed up for Beta testing as well, I use mine in AP mode but willing to Beta test in Router mode.

Message 708 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability


@FURRYe38 wrote:

The only other item that can effect this is Managed switches. NG hasn't given the reason or hasn't come up with a fix. Users have found that disabling IGMP protocols on there Managed switches helps get them working with Orbi. Orbi doesn't have any problems with Non Managed switches and wired back haul.

That is a very unfortunate and persistent rumor.  Orbi absolutely has identical problems with wired backhaul and unmanaged switches - in fact, it has the same problem _using Orbi as a switch_ (which it is), without any other switches present.

Message 709 of 809
jsturess
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

@JMU1998 I run it in Router mode. I have one router and 2 satellits and running it on 2.2.0.58 and the latest Beta is 2.2.0.60

____________________
RBK53| Orbi Router + 3 Satellites
Arlo Pro 2 (9 cameras)
Message 710 of 809
jsturess
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Latest was 2.2.0.66 and not 2.2.0.60

____________________
RBK53| Orbi Router + 3 Satellites
Arlo Pro 2 (9 cameras)
Message 711 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Just hoping this new Beta we will be testing will address some of the annoying stability issues 

Message 712 of 809
jsturess
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

@Case850 Yes and No, Cameras communicate with its own arlo hub, but the hub is connected wired to the router(same subnet). Router and OrbiHub is physically located 50cm/20inches from each other.

____________________
RBK53| Orbi Router + 3 Satellites
Arlo Pro 2 (9 cameras)
Message 713 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Not a rumor:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1553749/highlight/true#M30673
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Using-Router-Configured-as-Access-Point-Cannot-see-Satellites-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Managed-Switches/m-p/1613897#M3812...

 

You are incorrect about un-managed switches. Orbi works fine with non-managed switches.

I've had ZERO problems using non-managed switches as I have 3 in between my router and satellite.

Others work as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1586988/highli...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-wired-backhaul-performance/m-p/1548397/highlight/false#M2...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1585890/highli...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1585994/highli...


@rhester72 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The only other item that can effect this is Managed switches. NG hasn't given the reason or hasn't come up with a fix. Users have found that disabling IGMP protocols on there Managed switches helps get them working with Orbi. Orbi doesn't have any problems with Non Managed switches and wired back haul.

That is a very unfortunate and persistent rumor.  Orbi absolutely has identical problems with wired backhaul and unmanaged switches - in fact, it has the same problem _using Orbi as a switch_ (which it is), without any other switches present.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 714 of 809
dstranathan
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

I have no doubt the Orbi systems work great for many customers. The reviews are great and I presume sales are doing well.

 

My internal Wi-fi was great. Internal streaming,etc to my router/modem was fast (internal file server, VNC, etc).

 

However, the CBR40 (modem/router all-in-one) appears to be less-than-awesome - at least for my Spectrum network. I kinda feel like I got burned on a first-gen product.

 

I gave the CBR40 a fair shake. I did factory-resets, firmware updates, etc. Battled it for 2+ months. I had daily drop-offs, lag, reboots, and general unresponisvivness (with both wired and wireless clients).

 

Im worn-out from going back-and-forth between NETGEAR and Spectrum (and so is Spectrum - hence the push to get me back on their vetted Arris-OEMd gear). At the end of the day I just want my network to...work.

 

 

Message 715 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Well since the HW differs on CBK40 from RBK systems, I would post in the Cable modem Orbi forum. The RBK systems have had there troubles as well however with the CBK, you posts thre seem to point to a problem between the modem and your ISP and not the rest of the system. Others along with myself have the CBK40 and it's been working well with our ISPs. I've already recommended you get into a stand alone modem then give the RBK system a try. Others in this forum are having luck with there RBK system. Some maybe not so much. Trying to help where I can though.


@dstranathan wrote:

I have no doubt the Orbi systems work great for many customers. The reviews are great and I presume sales are doing well.

 

My internal Wi-fi was great. Internal streaming,etc to my router/modem was fast (internal file server, VNC, etc).

 

However, the CBR40 (modem/router all-in-one) appears to be less-than-awesome - at least for my Spectrum network. I kinda feel like I got burned on a first-gen product.

 

I gave the CBR40 a fair shake. I did factory-resets, firmware updates, etc. Battled it for 2+ months. I had daily drop-offs, lag, reboots, and general unresponisvivness (with both wired and wireless clients).

 

Im worn-out from going back-and-forth between NETGEAR and Spectrum (and so is Spectrum - hence the push to get me back on their vetted Arris-OEMd gear). At the end of the day I just want my network to...work.

 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 716 of 809
vkdelta
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

 

edit: Removed message. Wrong thread

Message 717 of 809
RossoScuderia
Aspirant

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Been having some constant issues with the Netgear Orbi's. Finally with release 2.1.4.16, things got much more stable however in recent weeks we have had a decline of Internet stability. The house is fairly large (10K+ Sq Feet on one floor) so we were recommended Orbi's due to the wired backhaul feature. We are using 1 Orbi RBR50 and 3 RBS50's. They are all using Wired Backhaul and all using the latest 2.1.4.16 firmware. We are setup in AP Mode.

 

Here is how the system is currently setup using 4x Cox T1 Lines coming into the house.

 

  • Cox / Overture Eithernet Over T1/E1 Switch
  • Linksys Router/Modem (wifi turned off)
  • Netgear 16-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Unmanaged Switch (connected directly via 
    Orbi RBR50 (In Far West Side Of House - Theater Orbi)
    • 1x RBS50 wired backhaul going directly from Satellite to Master Bedroom (Far East Side)
    • 2x RBS50's are connected directly from Netgear Switch to Satellite (Library) of which is on the very edge of being able to communicate via wifi to the Router but is wired to the switch, and the second one (Bedroom) is also wired directly to the switch

 

At this point, we have spent countless hours and are having tons of issues with it dropping/acting slow. yesterday i reboot'd the router and everything just went down. Spent about 3 hours trying to stabalize it by turning off and back on the satellite's 1 by 1, but still, seems like some rooms are not connecting via the wired backhaul connection.

 

The other issue we are seeing is that in between the Theater (Router) and Library (Orbi) is the kitchen where we spend most of our time, Its a giant dead spot. We have MEMO and FAST ROAMING unchecked.

 

I just dont get it. Everything has been replaced, everything has been rebooted or restored to factory default several times.

 

Can anyone give some guidance as to what we are doing wrong here????

Message 718 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem?

What is the model# of the switch? 

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@RossoScuderia wrote:

Been having some constant issues with the Netgear Orbi's. Finally with release 2.1.4.16, things got much more stable however in recent weeks we have had a decline of Internet stability. The house is fairly large (10K+ Sq Feet on one floor) so we were recommended Orbi's due to the wired backhaul feature. We are using 1 Orbi RBR50 and 3 RBS50's. They are all using Wired Backhaul and all using the latest 2.1.4.16 firmware. We are setup in AP Mode.

 

Here is how the system is currently setup using 4x Cox T1 Lines coming into the house.

 

  • Cox / Overture Eithernet Over T1/E1 Switch
  • Linksys Router/Modem (wifi turned off)
  • Netgear 16-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Unmanaged Switch (connected directly via 
    Orbi RBR50 (In Far West Side Of House - Theater Orbi)
    • 1x RBS50 wired backhaul going directly from Satellite to Master Bedroom (Far East Side)
    • 2x RBS50's are connected directly from Netgear Switch to Satellite (Library) of which is on the very edge of being able to communicate via wifi to the Router but is wired to the switch, and the second one (Bedroom) is also wired directly to the switch

 

At this point, we have spent countless hours and are having tons of issues with it dropping/acting slow. yesterday i reboot'd the router and everything just went down. Spent about 3 hours trying to stabalize it by turning off and back on the satellite's 1 by 1, but still, seems like some rooms are not connecting via the wired backhaul connection.

 

The other issue we are seeing is that in between the Theater (Router) and Library (Orbi) is the kitchen where we spend most of our time, Its a giant dead spot. We have MEMO and FAST ROAMING unchecked.

 

I just dont get it. Everything has been replaced, everything has been rebooted or restored to factory default several times.

 

Can anyone give some guidance as to what we are doing wrong here????


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 719 of 809
RossoScuderia
Aspirant

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem?

What is the model# of the switch? 

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

 

Thanks for your reply

 

The modem is Linksys E1000 (Updated to the latest firmware)

The switch is the Netgear GS116NA

 

I had the 2.4GHZ on Auto - just changed it to 6

I had the 5GHZ on 48

No wifi neighbors nearby at all. 

 

Just turned off Daisy chaining (even though i have 4 total orbi's.)

 

Let me know your thoughts!

Message 720 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

The Linksys E1000 is a router, not a modem. Is there a modem infront of the E1000? 

What configuration is the Orbi set for? Router or AP mode? If your using the E1000 as a router, you might change the Orbi to AP mode. Be sure to disable wifi radios on the E1000 router. 


@RossoScuderia wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem?

What is the model# of the switch? 

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

 

Thanks for your reply

 

The modem is Linksys E1000 (Updated to the latest firmware)

The switch is the Netgear GS116NA

 

I had the 2.4GHZ on Auto - just changed it to 6

I had the 5GHZ on 48

No wifi neighbors nearby at all. 

 

Just turned off Daisy chaining (even though i have 4 total orbi's.)

 

Let me know your thoughts!


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 721 of 809
RossoScuderia
Aspirant

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

The Orbi is in AP Mode. Wifi is turned off on the the E1000.


@FURRYe38 wrote:

The Linksys E1000 is a router, not a modem. Is there a modem infront of the E1000? 

What configuration is the Orbi set for? Router or AP mode? If your using the E1000 as a router, you might change the Orbi to AP mode. Be sure to disable wifi radios on the E1000 router. 

Message 722 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

There a modem in front of the E1000? 

SInce making changes, see how it runs for now. 

I would set up IP address reservations for any conntected satellites as well ON the router. 

 

Do you do any configurations with your GS116NA switch? Possible managed switch here? Non managed switch is preferred. 

 


@RossoScuderia wrote:

The Orbi is in AP Mode. Wifi is turned off on the the E1000.


@FURRYe38 wrote:

The Linksys E1000 is a router, not a modem. Is there a modem infront of the E1000? 

What configuration is the Orbi set for? Router or AP mode? If your using the E1000 as a router, you might change the Orbi to AP mode. Be sure to disable wifi radios on the E1000 router. 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 723 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

after spending many hours troubleshooting and monitoring the performance in many various configuration and setups, my conclusion is that the main culprit is the satellite (RBS).  once connected with the satellite(RBS) whether via wireless or wired to the router(RBR), all hell break loose.  connectivity drop every few minutes.  least to mention the slow wifi bandwidth speed from both router(RBR) and satellite(RBS). 

i have a 1Gbps connection at home.  when connected via Ethernet LAN cable to the modem, i can get more than 700Mbps.  similarly when connected via Ethernet LAN cable to RBR, i can get about 650Mbps.  but when connected via wifi, the speed drop to a mere 50~70Mbps.

 

here is a screen shot of the connectivity drop.

Message 724 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

after spending many hours troubleshooting and monitoring the performance in many various configuration and setups, my conclusion is that the main culprit is the satellite (RBS).  once connected with the satellite(RBS) whether via wireless or wired to the router(RBR), all hell break loose.  connectivity drop every few minutes.  least to mention the slow wifi bandwidth speed from both router(RBR) and satellite(RBS). 

i have a 1Gbps connection at home.  when connected via Ethernet LAN cable to the modem, i can get more than 700Mbps.  similarly when connected via Ethernet LAN cable to RBR, i can get about 650Mbps.  but when connected via wifi, the speed drop to a mere 50~70Mbps.

 

here is a screen shot of the connectivity drop.Connectivity drop.jpg

Message 725 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements