Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

PhloyBoy
Aspirant

Consider yourself lucky. The 2.1.4.16 firmware update has made my system COMPLETELY unstable. The stupid device looses its internet connection 5-6 times a day requiring a reboot. 

I just did a factory reset today to see if there was an issue with teh firmware update and low and behold...90+ minutes into the newly configured system all the devices in my house loose connectivity. Wifi is still available but the app says the main router is offline with the internet. I've let it sit for 2-3 hours while I worked outside and it never regains internet connectivty until I reboot the main router. 

I was going for months without any hiccups and not I reboot 5-6 times a day for the last weeks week.

I now just cannot take it anymore. A once fantastic product is now a piece of crap like the other routing options I've been through over the years. Quite a premium to pay for an unstable POS.

That is, unless this is just a faulty hardware at which point I expect an exchange since it's been less than a year since I purchased.

Please...fix this latest firmware to not loose connectivity.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 751 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Current FW is stable, there are many others having good experiences with it so is not a FW issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

If you don't think your system is working as is should, please try some of the suggestions and give feedback regarding them. If not, I would ask NG support for an RMA. Others have expressed that there systems were not working well, asked NG for an RMA and got a good working system.

You can ask NG for the new beta FW thats available as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@PhloyBoy wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. The 2.1.4.16 firmware update has made my system COMPLETELY unstable. The stupid device looses its internet connection 5-6 times a day requiring a reboot. 

I just did a factory reset today to see if there was an issue with teh firmware update and low and behold...90+ minutes into the newly configured system all the devices in my house loose connectivity. Wifi is still available but the app says the main router is offline with the internet. I've let it sit for 2-3 hours while I worked outside and it never regains internet connectivty until I reboot the main router. 

I was going for months without any hiccups and not I reboot 5-6 times a day for the last weeks week.

I now just cannot take it anymore. A once fantastic product is now a piece of crap like the other routing options I've been through over the years. Quite a premium to pay for an unstable POS.

That is, unless this is just a faulty hardware at which point I expect an exchange since it's been less than a year since I purchased.

Please...fix this latest firmware to not loose connectivity.

Message 752 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

PhloBoy, I agree with FURRYe38 when he says “Current FW is stable, there are many others having good experiences with it so is not a FW issue”. I have used FW v2.1.4.16 on my Orbi RBK50 system in AP mode with wired backhaul since it’s inception, and it has rarely failed me (exceptions being if both devices are powered down, getting them back to a stable working state can be time consuming and frustrating)

i think that people having connectivity issues should look more widely and check external factors such as modem/router setup and configuration, For example conflicts with channel numbers, double NAT, firewall issues, etc

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 753 of 809
ds-will
Guide

It's incredibly short-sighted to say "because I don't have issues in my environment, your issues in your environment must be because of something other than the Orbi."  Netgear has confirmed to me that Orbi has a problem with certain environments (when it should not have a problem), and a firmware update for that is coming.

Message 754 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

Exactly!

Message 755 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

User can get the new beta FW here and see if it helps them for those in these "Certain Environments":

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Message 756 of 809
psrtx1
Star

@cheshbr wrote:

PhloBoy, I agree with FURRYe38 when he says “Current FW is stable, there are many others having good experiences with it so is not a FW issue”. I have used FW v2.1.4.16 on my Orbi RBK50 system in AP mode with wired backhaul since it’s inception, and it has rarely failed me (exceptions being if both devices are powered down, getting them back to a stable working state can be time consuming and frustrating)

i think that people having connectivity issues should look more widely and check external factors such as modem/router setup and configuration, For example conflicts with channel numbers, double NAT, firewall issues, etc

@cheshbr: Netgear apprently does not agree with you since notes for beta version explicity state:

"This release contains the following:

• Significant bug fixes for stability & performance"

You can see that Netgear is aware of issue and admit that there is a stability issue with the current release. Hence focus of next release is "stability & performance". Just because your system works fine does not mean the firmware is not buggy.

Heck you quote " I agree with FURRYe38 when he says “Current FW is stable", but even he/she list bunch of features that need to be turned off  along with need to only use specific type of switches for backhaul. 

What I found is that the only way to get a stable system is to use Orbi in AP mode and use a mature router (UBITQUITY networks is amzingly stable and fast). I would recomend that anyone that is using Orbi to buy anonther router and switch Orbi to AP mode, you will have a network that is stable for months (going one 2 months now). 

Message 757 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

psrtx1, I agree with your last paragraph.  I use a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X as my router with my Orbis in AP mode.  

Message 758 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

While it maybe recommended for some to use other Mfr routers, for others the Orbi router does work for them. I even set on up for my friend , Months ago, Router mode and it's been working just fine and he's happy, using current version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

However I do agree, there are odd ball issues which I hope NG will improve upon and I beleive in the new beta, this maybe seen. I believe there are DHCP server issues along with wired managed switch compatibility issues that NG has been made aware of in there beta forums. So NG is aware and with the new beta thats available, hopefully NG has taken the problems to heart and fixed them. Hopefully users will post about it and let us all know how the new beta works. Yes, I agree, the Orbi should work well out of the box with out having to do alot of adjusting to make things work.

Message 759 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Folks. Today I returned my Orbi RBK50 for a refund, and replaced it with Ubiquiti.  I already had an Edgerouter X, and today I added a single Unifi ceiling mounted access point.  

After championing Orbi for around 4 monthsbecause my system was stable, why am I pulling the plug?  One of the reasons I had stability was the hours I put into keeping it on track.  Lifx and  HomeKit needed the most support.  Mostly the issues involved attached devices migrating randomly between the router and the satellite, but two issues raised my ire the most.  The new beta firmware gave what appeared to be more accurate signal strength and link rates, or it could have been a bug weakening the sat, so I asked through the forum as a beta tester about the lack of release notes about this and other issues.  But Netgear did not respond, so that’s a black mark.  The other issue is the 90 day support, then you pay.  In Australia, our consumer laws give us 12 months warranty, so we don’t have to pay after 90 days.  I was advised that poor support is grounds for seeking a refund, too, so I did.  

Bye. It’s been fun

Message 760 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

@cheshbr wrote:

Folks. Today I returned my Orbi RBK50 for a refund, and replaced it with Ubiquiti.  I already had an Edgerouter X, and today I added a single Unifi ceiling mounted access point.  

After championing Orbi for around 4 monthsbecause my system was stable, why am I pulling the plug?  One of the reasons I had stability was the hours I put into keeping it on track.  Lifx and  HomeKit needed the most support.  Mostly the issues involved attached devices migrating randomly between the router and the satellite, but two issues raised my ire the most.  The new beta firmware gave what appeared to be more accurate signal strength and link rates, or it could have been a bug weakening the sat, so I asked through the forum as a beta tester about the lack of release notes about this and other issues.  But Netgear did not respond, so that’s a black mark.  The other issue is the 90 day support, then you pay.  In Australia, our consumer laws give us 12 months warranty, so we don’t have to pay after 90 days.  I was advised that poor support is grounds for seeking a refund, too, so I did.  

Bye. It’s been fun

Message 761 of 809
cyberprashant
Luminary

So I recently tried a 4 pack Google - wifi system from costco.   Even with wired ethernet the actual wifi speeds are terrible when tested with an Iphone 6s vs. Wireless ORBI

ORBI: (wireless) - 3 sat + router = ~300 mbp/s

Google: (wired) - 3 sat + router =  ~200 mbp/s

Conclusion - even though the wired backhaul for orbi is still a little glitchy, the wireless backhaul range with its 5ghz bands is insane crazy and can perform similar to wired even with the satellites spread far apart (50-100ft apart!).  I still recommend ORBI to my friends and I was not impressed with google wifi (except for the price).   

Message 762 of 809
cptspalding
Aspirant

Please add USB network drive capability!!!! Its rediculous that your lower models have this feature and the Orbi does not. Smiley Sad

Message 763 of 809
jblack68
Apprentice

I think there’s a bug in the firmware if you have sonos devices connected Ethernet to the satellite.

If you reboot the system, the satellite will not connect to the router properly unless you disconnect the sonos devices I.e. playbar and sub and the satellite will connect and then you can reconnect the sonos devices. Been annoying me for ages but as soon as I did that. Works perfect.

Message 764 of 809
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

@cheshbr wrote:

Folks. Today I returned my Orbi RBK50 for a refund, and replaced it with Ubiquiti.  

Good!

Message 765 of 809
BBQNOOB
Guide

My orbi router is doing the same thing.  2-3 times per day my main unit reboots, ever since this last firmware update.  I plan to call support soon, this update definitely broke my device.  

Message 766 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Perform a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch. If this still happens after this, you might revert back to v.10 FW on the RBR router. You can leave the satellites at v.16...

@BBQNOOB wrote:

My orbi router is doing the same thing.  2-3 times per day my main unit reboots, ever since this last firmware update.  I plan to call support soon, this update definitely broke my device.  

Message 767 of 809
BBQNOOB
Guide

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING!      I have the following modem with xfinity.  Again, there was nver a problem until this last firmware.  Some slowness issues early on, but those were taken care of with earlier firmware versions..  

NETGEAR Gigabit Cable Modem (32x8) DOCSIS 3.1 | for XFINITY by Comcast and Cox. Compatible with Gig-Speed from Xfinity (CM1000-1AZNAS)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781VN7W5/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 768 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a full factory reset on the Orbi router and set up from scratch helps.

Also swap out LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 lan cable is recommended.

Might do a reset on the modem as well and set it up...Ensure the ISP modem has good signal from the ISP service. Might test the modem with a direct connected PC as well.

@BBQNOOB wrote:

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING!      I have the following modem with xfinity.  Again, there was nver a problem until this last firmware.  Some slowness issues early on, but those were taken care of with earlier firmware versions..  

NETGEAR Gigabit Cable Modem (32x8) DOCSIS 3.1 | for XFINITY by Comcast and Cox. Compatible with Gig-Speed from Xfinity (CM1000-1AZNAS)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781VN7W5/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 769 of 809
PhloyBoy
Aspirant

Full reset didn't change anything. However, removing the back haul Ethernet cat6 cable reduced the frequency of going offline with the internet to 1-2 times as day from 6-8 times a day.

I did notice something though... The router is technically still connected to the internet it just won't enable devices to connect.

I am still able to refresh my IP lease and do other router maintenance like checking for firmware updates via a browser connection to the router but no device can connect until I soft reset. On top of that when the router goes offline the iOS app is only good for resetting the router. Via the iOS so I cannot check for firmware updates like I can via the browser connected directly.

Situation more manageable but still not reliable like before this latest firmware.

Prior to this latest firmware I could go months without ever having a connection loss...it was truly an amazing change from the other routers I've struggled with over the years.
Message 770 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

So the satellites were wired to the router? If so, was Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? IT should be disabled when using wired back haul for the satellites.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

@PhloyBoy wrote:
Full reset didn't change anything. However, removing the back haul Ethernet cat6 cable reduced the frequency of going offline with the internet to 1-2 times as day from 6-8 times a day.

I did notice something though... The router is technically still connected to the internet it just won't enable devices to connect.

I am still able to refresh my IP lease and do other router maintenance like checking for firmware updates via a browser connection to the router but no device can connect until I soft reset. On top of that when the router goes offline the iOS app is only good for resetting the router. Via the iOS so I cannot check for firmware updates like I can via the browser connected directly.

Situation more manageable but still not reliable like before this latest firmware.

Prior to this latest firmware I could go months without ever having a connection loss...it was truly an amazing change from the other routers I've struggled with over the years.

Message 771 of 809
radamchak
Guide

I have one router and 2 satellites. I am having problems between my Homekit devices (iDevices switch and Liftmaster garage door opener). Also, while myiPhone sees Homekit devices thru the iDevices and Liftmaster apps, my iPad cannot see the devices thru the respective device apps. Lastly, I am having probems reintalling my Liftmaster garage door opners. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 772 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

I don’t know if this will help. I had trouble with my Phillips Hue hub working with the Orbi system. I finally discovered that it required my Apple TV to communicate with HomeKit. I had the Apple TV set to go to sleep after a specified amount of time. It’s now on constantly and no connectivity issues.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 773 of 809
radamchak
Guide

This suggestion fixed the problem. Thx. 

Message 774 of 809
radamchak
Guide

Yep ooks like muy Liftmaster garage door oeprmner is incompatible with Orbi. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 775 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7