Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

cheshbr
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

I understand and agree with what you are saying.  I only advocated reserving IP addresses as a way of assigning fixed IP addresses to make it easier to identify devices.  I have a suspicion that those having difficulties may, out of not knowing any better, be inadvertently making their installations overly complex by not being aware that they can lock in fixed IP addresses which make their systems fall in line with conventions that work.  I have done this since day one and have had no lasting issues.  My current Orbi system, using FW v2.1.4.16, in AP mode, is perfect.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 351 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1594935/highli...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Ensure your using good quality LAN cables, CAT6 recommended.

Confirm you have a R8000 router or a S8000 switch?

@JMU1998 wrote:

So can someone answer when will Netgear code that allows components of other Netgear products to talk to other Netgear products? My sattalite and main unit have a NetGear r8000 switch between them and sattalite always shows as an attached device why? R8000 is a Netgear switch and Orbi is a Netgear product. Yes I have tried resetting with paper clips rebooting, reinstalling from scratch have given up sick and tired of this useless Firmware game that has been going on for a year now still not fixed!

Message 352 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume there maybe a DHCP pool issue as well. NG has always set .1 thru .254 when they should be setting a smaller size pool. .100 thru .200 would be more realistic. Some other router Mfr do this.

Have a such a large pool, I've seen odd and bad DHCP handshake and IP address assignment behaviors on NG routers with there default pool sizes. After setting a smaller size pool and also doing reservations on specific devices including satellites, I don't see odd or bad behaviors anymore. So anytime I set up a NG router, first thing is to set a new pool size.

I agree with and always practice setting static IPs on those devices that don't need much internet or router management. Keeps them out of the loop on less problematic and there always connected for the most part.

@cheshbr wrote:

I understand and agree with what you are saying.  I only advocated reserving IP addresses as a way of assigning fixed IP addresses to make it easier to identify devices.  I have a suspicion that those having difficulties may, out of not knowing any better, be inadvertently making their installations overly complex by not being aware that they can lock in fixed IP addresses which make their systems fall in line with conventions that work.  I have done this since day one and have had no lasting issues.  My current Orbi system, using FW v2.1.4.16, in AP mode, is perfect.  

Message 353 of 809
Tpars
Guide

Everything was working well w/ my wired backhaul.  I was having problems with one of my security cameras (connects 2.4 or 5 ghz) staying connected.  I changed the primary channel from 48 to 36.  When I did that things started to go haywire.  

What I think I found that corrected the problem..

I turned off the router and satellite (unplugged both)

Booted them back up

Daisy chain topology was enabled.

I confirmed in the web interface the satellite was connected to the router wirelessly

I turned off and unplugged the satellite

connected the wired backhaul

Plugged in and turned on satellite

I was able to confirm in the web interface the satellite was there.. it was showing 2.4 ghz poor (normally it would say 5 ghz good).  

At this point I hit the sync button on router then satellite.. within 5 minutes the web interface said a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Message 354 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Orbi is in AP mode, switch is Netgear S8000 assigned IPs for all devices, still sattalite will show as attached no matter what I do.

Message 355 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

All, try this...  set a static IP to your satellites... under LAN setup in advanced.  Then upgrade. I'm the biggest nay-sayer but that is the only change I made and things seem ok after an update.  I have been a vocal critic -- and this is a butt backwards fix if this works for others, sorry.

Above said.  I'm probably leaving Orbi for a UniFi setup.  It appears stable and more versatile.  To many unknown future issues with Orbi.

Message 356 of 809
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

You can’t set the satellites to static addresses, at least via the web GUI. Best you can do is give them reserved DHCP addresses, which I recommend.

Message 357 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

DHCP address allocation. Sure. Either way it's the inky change I made and it seems to have allowed my system not to crash.
Message 358 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

What’s the difference?

Message 359 of 809
LB67
Guide

The RBW30 with your latest firmware still has an issue with our iPhone SE. It keeps disconnecting and disrupting the WIFI network.

Another issue with the RBW30 is that you can't play Fortnite when connected to this device. 

We experience at least 5 WIFI disconnects per hour when the iPhone SE is connected to it and causing havoc. All devices connected to

the RBW30 are loosing their connection......no Netfix, no Streaming Audio, no Chromecast. 

Check:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/iPhone-SE-causing-WIFI-disconnects-only-on-RBW30/m-p/1595511#M...

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 360 of 809
aucman
Star

....i uploaded 2.1..4.16 did a factory reset on all the router and satellite and speeds on my laptop are bellow 50Mbits on a 100 Mbits line. 

Almost constantly...If I plug everything off and plug back in I get max speed for a few moments.

I uploaded back 2.1.4.10 and without factory reset there are no problems with my laptop.

The only problems I had with 2.1.4.10 is connection drops on my andorid devices.

So please....It is firmware's fault. The Netgear team is probably very low skilled in this. While other products work great the orbi does not. It is not like they are doing a rocket science with this product or something that has never been done before. They are simply not up to the task. They should hire some expert to help them sort these issues.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 361 of 809
ajnafets
Guide

Well I have tried for 28 days to get this stable and for the first two weeks its seems to have worked just fine. (with wired backhaul)

Then they asked me here to power down (as in a power faillure situation) then it took me more then 1,5 our to get everything up and running again...

But after that it seems stable again, but that was for like two days....

Now it keeps failing me with allkinds of things wifi speed drops, connection drops, satellite connection faults its going on and on.

So I am glad that I listened to the one that told me to test this bacause now I know it's not a reliable product..

There is also no response from Netgear on this, in my opinion they should have update us with information that they are working on it...

I have a 30 day money back garantee on this product and its now day 28 so after this message I will disconnect and run back to the store...

I was a TP-Link user but they just could not keep up with firmware updates....

For some reason I thought that Netgear would not have these kind of issues.....

Now I am going to try Ubiquity and see if they can satisfy my family with stable wifi and internet.

Thanks for all the help and advise here.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 362 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I got my friends new RBK50 system installed last weekend. Been stable and solid:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 363 of 809
protojah
Aspirant

Well it seems I spoke too soon when I said that wired backhaul on 2.1.4.16 was surviving restarts.

As usual I have to restart every 2 days since upgrading to this firmware as the Orbi "loses" internet connection. So 2 days ago I had to reboot (using the app) expecting in a few minutes satellites would sync and everything would be ok. No such luck - my network went crazy. For close to an hour I had to be plugging out ethernet, rebooting, then plugging back in ethernet after 5 minutes.  I eventually gave up and left it with wireless backhaul.

Today I dusted off my Nighthawk and set it up as router, and the Orbi is now in AP Mode. Since most persons here have had luck with the Orbi set up this way.

Hopefully this works for me as well.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 364 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@protojah how nice a $400 AP I have one of those too now router was useless. ..absolutely thrilled to have a $400 AP and still sattalite shows as attached even in AP mode and a Netgear S8000 switch between! 

Message 365 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Orbis in AP mode? Wise move, protojar. I have had mine in AP mode from day 1. Here’s a tip. Do you know how to set up DHCP in your Nighthawk? If you do, reserve IP addresses in the Nighthawk for your devices so the Orbi router in AP mode reports them in the attached devices list. I think that by doing this, you streamline things for the Orbi
Message 366 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Gee, Case850, message 383, you really do have a bee in your bonnet.  By the way, I am NOT a Telstra fan, nor a Telstra user in any way.  I have had no Telstra services at all for about 8 years (My Billion router 7800VDOX that you seem interested in, has VoIP, supplied by iiNet, as is my broadband).  Nevertheless, I'm happy to pinch a useful, free app from them. 

I'm not doing anything else to my network.  Everything is running just fine.  How's yours?

Message 367 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

This is the last communication I'm having with you, Case850.  There are better ways to waste time.

There are a number of mesh systems out there, including Velops, Ubiquiti/Amplifi, Eero, Google, etc with more coming on board each day.  I chose Orbi because has good references, and it suited my environment.  

For the time being I have to use my Billion as a modem and a source for VoIP, so it's on anyway and DHCP and other router functionality has always worked pre Orbi, so I set mine up in AP mode.  

Once I'm on NBN, I may revise this strategy, but in the meantime I have a house full of quality WiFi, on a wired backhaul, that has not let me down for weeks.

I have already mentioned a number of mesh systems, most of which cost more that I paid for my Orbis.  I'm satisfied with my choice, which makes perfect sense if it works.  

Finally what is baffling is you confusing the difference between...

• sharing information about a successful implementation with others seeking assistance, looking for tips and tricks, and simply wanting to compare notes on a self-help forum, and
  • boasting.  

Goodbye

Message 368 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

The router firmware in your download link is actually <RBR50-V2.1.4.10.img> please explain why? 

And what about the auto firmware update in Orbi app?  That firmware is <RBR50-V2.1.4.16.img>. 

It is so confusing. 

Please kindly clarify.   THANKS.

Message 369 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

For the price of an Orbi, there is no difference from a commercial system?  

I am sure user doesn't mind paying more for a commercial mesh network solution that delivery.

Keyword here is "delivery".

Who would want something that is free and not reliable?  Those who decide to buy an Orbi is not looking for a cheapo, on-off mesh network.  

Might as well config an old router into an AP and have 4 SSIDs instead.  Much cheap and more stable.  But here we are, looking for a better solution.  Defintely not anything cheap.  

Message 370 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

Suspect that the main issue is with the Satellite.  After a full day of monitoring on various combination of firmwares and set-up.

Satellite - 5G is more unstable.  Dropping below -80dBm at regular intervals.

Tried the following.   And in the order of most stable with wired backhaul.

<RBR50-V2.1.4.10.img> + <RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img>

<RBR50-V2.1.4.10.img> + <RBS50-V2.1.4.10.img>

<RBR50-V2.1.4.16.img> + <RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img>

Message 371 of 809
siuolly
Star

Is it just me? Both the RBR50 and RBS50 link is invalid file when I click. I tried other links and works but I need the 50. I am on a my iMac latest OS.
Message 372 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Hear Hear.  I agree

Message 373 of 809
Coolie13
Tutor

Correction.............Was speaking too soon.   

After 16hrs of trouble shooting.  The conclusion is Orbi cannot support wired backhaul.  (at least in my case.)

Final set-up = <RBR50-V2.1.4.16.img> + <RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img> on wireless backhaul.  

RBR50_SBR50_on 2.1.4.16_via wireless backhaul.JPG

The moment the Satelite is connected via Ethernet backhual, the entire Orbi is dead.  

Only wireless is stable.  Hence, for those whose home or office space is to far, get a 2nd Satelite.  Or get another brand.  NETGEAR failed us.  Or cheated us.

Message 374 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@Coolie13. Hopefully Netgear Engineering is working on a Beta Firmware to address this as they are well aware of this issue for quite awhile now. 

Message 375 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7