Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Ulairi
Luminary

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Hi, did you fix your problem?

If not, try another factory reset.  Yes it's a pain, but I have had good speeds since doing two resets a couple of months ago, per this thread: link.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 401 of 809
Ulairi
Luminary

@oliveyang wrote:

Udpated to 2.1.4.16 fairly easily and no reported issues initially. Internet totally stopped working the next day so i don't know if they are connected. If I plugged right in to my modem internet worked so i knew it must be the orbi. Ended up having to to a factory reset plus setup of orbi via ethernet to get internet working again. It's been stable for the last day, so that's promising. However, I am seeing a significant drop in performance. If I run a speed test in a browser (via wifi) I'm getting 40 - 50 mbps, using the orbi app's speed test it is 150 mbps. 

Hi, @oliveyang  did you fix your problem?

If not, try another factory reset.  Yes it's a pain, but I have had good speeds since doing two resets a couple of months ago, per this thread: link.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 402 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

What issues are you experiencing? Please give more details.

Any network switches in the mixed? Mfr and Model#?

I and others have not seen any issues with wired back haul with current FW.

I just get my my friends RBK50 router mode and satellite couple of weekends ago with wired back haul. Zero issues.

Still running:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@JMU1998 wrote:

Is a beta Firmware coming soon to address backhaul issues? 

Message 403 of 809
oliveyang
Tutor

No changes since I posted. Thanks for the advice. Ill try a second reset.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 404 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

So I think there is definetly something wrong with this firmware.. I have done the factory resets & had good results up until 2 days ago when I noticed the wifi speed seemed sluggish. So I checked at what speed was my iMac connecting to the orbi usually it has an MCS index of 9 and its in the range of 700 something mbs.. but when I checked this time it dropped to MCS index 7 and is consistently staying locked at 585 mbs. So I really do agree with the other users who say this firmware release cuts the throughput of the wifi. I haven't moved any of the devices, and they are located on oposite sides of my desk. Now when I reboot it jumps back up to MCS index 9 700 something mbs but then after like 5 minutes it drops back down to a locked 585 mbs. I also notice that unchecking / rechecking the options daisy chain, Fast Roaming, MU-MIMO, Implicit Beamforming do really nothing.. I notice no change. I will not reset this router again to defualts, I did so twice & I have an outside orbi mounted its a pain in the A$$ to unmount and resync. Netgear instructed us that 2.1.4.10 would be the firmware that required a factory reset it was never mentioned that 2.1.4.16 would also need that. A factory reset SHOULD NOT BE A FIX .... it should be used to get you back to a working state (out of the box state) but if the firmware is defective from the factory there is no point to keep reseting it.. it just resets the problem. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 405 of 809
zdl
Initiate
Initiate

Just wanted to post on my experience. My ORBI arrived from Costco with 2.1.4.10 installed. It constantly crashed (my description of the WIFI signal just going away for 5 min or so). It was so unreliable that my wife, who works from home, insisted that I replace it immediately because it was interrupting her conference calls. That led me to this community in search of answers. After reading the comments in this thread, I was afraid that the update was going to make things worse. However, after following the upgrade instructions exactly, two weeks later we haven't had a single problem and that comes from someone who uses the network all day conducting online meetings. Note there are a few speed bumps in the process including an anomaly with downloading the firmware (it doesn't seem to allow you to download both at once without causing a mixup in file names). Download each separately and confirm both exist with the proper file names. Upgrade with a patch cord plugged into the main unit, upgrade in the order as the instructions state. 

My network includes 23 connected devices including wink, ring, sonos, iphone x, iphone 7, ipads, macbook pros, windows pcs, echos, hue. All are working with no issues.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 406 of 809
zdl
Initiate
Initiate

I am using wireless backhaul.

xfinity 100Mb/s internet connection using the xfinity modem in bridge mode.

I did not do a factory reset - I followed the upgrade process to the letter.

For performance testing, I have simply tested internet throughput. I am getting 120+Mb down and 15 or so up (from memory).

Devices are connected at both frequencies (varies by device).

No multicast.

I have streamed to an apple tv via hbo go and to a tcl tv direct at 4k with no issues.

Message 407 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Hey zdl, post 440, my experience with my Orbis is very similar to yours, ie running v2.1.4.16 for many weeks now, all the while with wired backhaul, with no fuss or bother, I have around 25 connected devices and a fat 32 hard drive plugged into the RBR50’s USB 2.0 port.  Performance seems ok.  

I have several walls that impact performance near the router as it’s in my study to be near my internet entry point, but the wired satellite is in an open plan area, serving a strong signal to most devices.  The external walls of my house are brick, lined with plaster sandwiching 75mm thick insulation bats, and in my garden, 15 or 20 meters away from the satellite, there’s a Lifx smart globe that the Netgear genie says is connecting at 100%.  So far so good.

Message 408 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

My friends RBK50 set up in router mode is working well too. 1 wired back haul satellite.

200/10 ISP. Arris modem Bridged.

@zdl wrote:

I am using wireless backhaul.

xfinity 100Mb/s internet connection using the xfinity modem in bridge mode.

I did not do a factory reset - I followed the upgrade process to the letter.

For performance testing, I have simply tested internet throughput. I am getting 120+Mb down and 15 or so up (from memory).

Devices are connected at both frequencies (varies by device).

No multicast.

I have streamed to an apple tv via hbo go and to a tcl tv direct at 4k with no issues.

The configuration I used:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 409 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

By writing wired backhaul, do you mean that the satellite is hardwired to the router? If I were to do that, it would eliminate the main reason that I ditched my wired network. The other reason was to have the sane Wi-Fi network on both floors of my 1910 brick building.

My Orbi network was working just fine until this latest OS release. I think that Netgear did not do a thorough test of the system before it was released to us. Hopefully, they will correct the issues with a future release that has been thoroughly tested. Until then, I will continue to use the RBW30 to daisy chain the RBS40 to the RBR50. Not the ideal situation, but it resolved the connectivity issues that I experienced.

If Netgear monitors this community, they are aware of the issues and the discontent. Let’s see how they respond.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 410 of 809
leewilko
Tutor

Ive had enough of messing about and have had my return accepted by Amazon today.

Its mad but I have an actual feeling of relief and have ordered some Unifi kit today as a replacement.

Really disappointing experience with Orbi and no moderator response to my calls for help from NG so im off.

Good luck guys!!!!

Message 411 of 809
seeking
Aspirant

Anyone else running Apple Airport Expresses as Airplay clients on their Orbis? My system overall has worked great, but for Airplay (which I use for playing music in multiple rooms in the house) it has been frustrating. Dropouts every 75 seconds or so. I was hopeful that this firmware would help due to the Homekit compatibility, but I still have the problem.

Anyone have any configuration tips? Before Orbi I could play entire albums without a drop and now I can't make it through a single song. I've tested this with multiple play sources and airports, so it does seem to be something to do with Orbi. Overall speeds and connectivity is great, but this is one of my most significant uses, and may be a deal breaker if I can't listen to music.

Thanks

Message 412 of 809
GEMASON
Guide

I was having problems with HomeKit. It relies on AppleTv to communicate. I had to restart the AppleTV to reconnect it to the Orbi. Could you be having a similar issue?
Message 413 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, as the reason why his is wired back haul is that his home is farirly solid built materials and the location of his satellite is such results in a POOR singal quality. He already had in wall LAN cable connection there from the router so wired back haul was the best solution. Zero problems.

Whats the distances between your router and satellites. Building materials will play a roll in this as 5Ghz is affected by building materials due to its high frequency. 30 feet is a good starting distance between the router and satellites, however if POOR signal is seen then you may need to move them closer. Wired back haul would be a solution as well in these cases of building materials impacting singal quality.

@GEMASON wrote:
By writing wired backhaul, do you mean that the satellite is hardwired to the router? If I were to do that, it would eliminate the main reason that I ditched my wired network. The other reason was to have the sane Wi-Fi network on both floors of my 1910 brick building.

My Orbi network was working just fine until this latest OS release. I think that Netgear did not do a thorough test of the system before it was released to us. Hopefully, they will correct the issues with a future release that has been thoroughly tested. Until then, I will continue to use the RBW30 to daisy chain the RBS40 to the RBR50. Not the ideal situation, but it resolved the connectivity issues that I experienced.

If Netgear monitors this community, they are aware of the issues and the discontent. Let’s see how they respond.

Message 414 of 809
seeking
Aspirant

I've tried that but it didn't help. My appleTV, which is wired, has no such problems, only the Airports. Thanks, though!

seeking

Message 415 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the Orbi and your Apple devices? How many of these are online at the same time? Try using just one device to test with...

Whats the distance between the Orbi router and satellite?

How big is your home? Sq Ft?

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz. Try different channel on 5Ghz. Save settings and reboot both satellite and router, then reboot or power cycle the Apple devices.

@seeking wrote:

Anyone else running Apple Airport Expresses as Airplay clients on their Orbis? My system overall has worked great, but for Airplay (which I use for playing music in multiple rooms in the house) it has been frustrating. Dropouts every 75 seconds or so. I was hopeful that this firmware would help due to the Homekit compatibility, but I still have the problem.

Anyone have any configuration tips? Before Orbi I could play entire albums without a drop and now I can't make it through a single song. I've tested this with multiple play sources and airports, so it does seem to be something to do with Orbi. Overall speeds and connectivity is great, but this is one of my most significant uses, and may be a deal breaker if I can't listen to music.

Thanks

Message 416 of 809
Sukurin
Aspirant

My Orbi is at V2.1.4.10. Everything is working well unless 1 iphone6 device. It wont connecting at main network, but when switch to guest network it work without problem. Should I update to this firmware? Its kind a bugging me to see that tiny problem, but I also afraid this firmware will ruin my network.

Message 417 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Go into the phones wifi settings and select the SSID that you are attempting to connect to...if you can get to the next screen, Select Forget This Network. Back out, I would reboot the iphone then try to access the SSID and pw again.

What iOS is the phone using?

@Sukurin wrote:

My Orbi is at V2.1.4.10. Everything is working well unless 1 iphone6 device. It wont connecting at main network, but when switch to guest network it work without problem. Should I update to this firmware? Its kind a bugging me to see that tiny problem, but I also afraid this firmware will ruin my network.

Message 418 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I use an Apple Airport Express as an AirPlay device with no problems.  My AE is in “Join a wireless network” mode, and is not tethered.  In join mode the AE is not extending the range of the Orbis, it’s just another connected device that works perfectly 

Message 419 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

Mate I think you are the one who’s doesn’t get it. My Orbis work just fine IN AP MODE, as do all of my devices. I just want good WiFi, and I have it without having to self flagellate in router mode as you seem to be doing
Message 420 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Why use Orbi in AP mode won't an AP be cheaper?  Why can't Netgear fix the code?

Message 421 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

Why use Orbi in AP mode won't an AP be cheaper?  Why can't Netgear fix the code?

Because the Orbi has dedicated 4-stream wireless backhaul. If I had wired Ethernet for backhaul, then yes, I’d be using AP’s.

Message 422 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

My excuse for using AP node is that I still need a DSL modem for the forseable future. Mine is a combine modem/router with a great pedigree (Billion 7800 VDOX with VoIP), so I mearly disabled Wifi on the Billion and put the Orbis into AP., and it works, including wired backhaul, when I do get a boost in my broadband capability, I may try router mode
Message 423 of 809
Cmo1
Apprentice

This firmware is definitely garbage as well.  It fixes the home kit issues, but reduces wireless performance.  disabling or enabling mu-mimo, daisy chain, fast roam or beamform make no difference whatsoever.  We feally need a good robust firmware that allows full qos control and ability to take advantage of the gigabit capabilities of the device.  When I first set this up I could see 600+ mbps down on a one gig connection.  Since last firmware, I'm lucky to get 300.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 424 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

In agreement.. the firmware fixes those problems but at a significant wireless performance drop. I hope that is being worked on & we can expect a newer firmware soon. 

Message 425 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7