Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Yeahthatsme
Aspirant

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

I have installed this update hoping to fix severe disconnect issues. That seems to be better, but now wireless speed is down significantly, from 50+ mbps to less than 20. Wired tests to my router are still very good. I'm running an rbs40 in AP mode, no satellite currently.
Message 26 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

Why am i getting this error when i attempted to update the satellites?

401 Unauthorized

Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication.

Message 27 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

Ok, found the issue. The Orbi firmware update interface does not like Safari. When i used Chrome, i could see the login prompt for the Satellite (this prompt didn't show up in Safari).

Message 28 of 809
mrbofus
Aspirant

I have an RBR50 and two RBS50's on wireless backhaul; download/upload speeds seem to be staying pretty good for me.  890Mbps/36Mbps down/up on my desktop wired to the router, and 550Mbps/37Mbps down/up on my iPhone X.  All HomeKit issues I was experiencing seem to have gone away as well. *fingers crossed*

Message 29 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

I thought this update was supposed to fix Apple Homekit connectivity issue. I had occasional issue with Homekit when the router/satellites were on v2.1.4.10. Now that they are updated to v2.1.4.16, Homekit is completely broken. I can't connect any of the devices in the Homekit network. Anyone else having the same issue?

Message 30 of 809
chsalmon
Apprentice

Nice try but the router still reboot like before.

Router in AP mode, factory reset router and satellite.

Router System Uptime 01:25:35  !!
Satellite System Uptime 14:48:55 

Both started yesterday, same time...

Satellite connected with wired directly to my main router.

Router connected too with wired directly to my main router.

Is there a reason why the uptime can't be stable for the router !? Satellite works well !  in AP mode what could do the router more than the satellite that cause the reboot !!? it's a basic mode !

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 31 of 809
arosstyler
Guide

Well that experiment was short-lived. Updated from 2.1.4.1 to this new 2.1.4.16 on both the RBR50 and my single RBS50. Not only did the random WiFi drops out and router hangs issues continue they increased and changed a bit. Now when I try to connect with certain devices (like the Playstation PS4 connected wirelessly to play a game) the Router hangs and loses internet but does not stop broadcasting the WiFi signal. So all devices think they are connected but... no internet and no access to 192.168.1.1 on web or app. The app thinks the Orbi is not on the network but yet everything thinks it is connected. On 2.1.4.1 at least the WiFi network would drop completely so it would trigger my WiFi PowerSwitch to do a reboot and fix the issue (yes overkill for a home router and annoying but it is my fix).  I tried hard rebooting many times and I tried factory reset and all options configured manually but... nope this new firmware is actually less stable for my system than 2.1.4.1 which did the drop and or reboot thing about 3-4 times a day average. Running a RBR50 and a single RBS50, no wired backhaul, daisy chain off. Lots of devices connect (about 13-19 at a time average) but seriously pretty standard set up. Bummed as I thought finally we had a solution to the family complaining "Dad the internet is gone again" issue. At least the remote WiFi power switch reboots it for me on 2.1.4.1 so I dont have to be there to do it myself now. I tried Velop but the speed decrease was about 40-50% slower than Orbin and the range was awful in comparison so I sent it back and kept the Orbi. Not sure what to do now. Orbi has the speed and range dialed in over everything else but... this uptime issue is terrible.

Message 32 of 809
Hsc1102
Apprentice

I'm at the end of the line.  I am returning this terrrible router/satellite to Costco.  I have never had so many issues with a router/computer/TV or any electronic device as I have had with the Orbi.  I tried to stick it out but after 1 full year of inconsistent internet I am done.  I have tried all remedies suggested by Orbi including beta firmware, replacing the actual satellite/router and none have worked.  The only consistent thing about the ORBI is that it does not work consistently.

This firmware update is no better and is the same old story.  Performed this update and the router and satellites have been disconnecting non stop.  Multiple reboot and power on/off cycles and still not working as it should.  

Goodbye ORBI

Message 33 of 809
arosstyler
Guide

@Hsc1102 I feel your pain haha. What do you plan to move too? I tried Velop and it was a no go for me (40-50% speed decrease and I would need like 5 nodes to get close to the coverage of just the Orbi router and one satellite). I am entertaining alternatives always and not sure what is worth trying. Curious as to what you decide. Thanks!

Message 34 of 809
Hsc1102
Apprentice

I am ordering the Google wifi.  I know that in all tests and reviews the ORBI was best performing but in my time of ownership, the ORBI rarely if ever attained and maintained that performance.  At this point I would rather take consistency.

@arosstyler wrote:

@Hsc1102 I feel your pain haha. What do you plan to move too? I tried Velop and it was a no go for me (40-50% speed decrease and I would need like 5 nodes to get close to the coverage of just the Orbi router and one satellite). I am entertaining alternatives always and not sure what is worth trying. Curious as to what you decide. Thanks!

Message 35 of 809
bryandmlee
Apprentice

Just to add my experience to this, my Orbi RBK50 has been working all right on wired backhaul since v2.1.3.4, and it's so far so good on v2.1.4.16 as well. I updated manually—satellite first, then router (as recommended)—and then also power cycled both units subsequently ("simulate power outage") and everything came back up as expected.

Evidently not all users are having an issue-free time here, so just looking at my setup maybe there's one more thing those who are having issues (especially with wired backhaul) can try. I've set up my Satellite to get an assigned IP from my Router (10.0.0.2 in my case because I've got 192.168.1.x used by my ISP modem/router, but others can use 192.168.1.2 and so on, accordingly), since the Satellite is always going to be a part of the network. There shouldn't be any harm in trying this, and perhaps the assigned IP helps the system with reconfiguring when switching from wireless to wired backhaul, or quickly recognising the wired backhaul connection straightaway when (re-)booting up. No guarantees this fixes anything for anyone, but hopefully it helps somebody out there!

Message 36 of 809
tsig
Luminary

@Hsc1102

Read thru the google wifi forums.  They aren't problem free either.

Message 37 of 809
DrN3RD
Aspirant

Yes it will

Message 38 of 809
olf
Star
Star

Since 2.1.4.10 upgrade, ethernet backhaul seems stable to me, provided i follow these after each upgrade, else, i see crashes

1) shutdown other sat, disconnect other wired devices to ANY SAT and ROUTER

2) upgrade 1 sat, let it reboot, it will connect wireless first to router, just wait and eventually it will connect wired, wait @ 5 min till it get stable wired

3) Power up 2nd sat, let it get stable and connect wired, upgrade 2nd sat, let it reboot, let it get stable and let it connect wirelessly, then it will connect wired.  

4) wait 10 min, let both sat get stable and connec to router wired

5) upgrade router, let it reboot, let it connect to the net but POWER IT OFF anyway, 

6) go to GUI and watch the SATs get stable wired connection, it might flip back and forth, mine took about 5-10 min.

7) once stable connect your wired devices

hope it helps

Message 39 of 809
olf
Star
Star

i haven't had any e backhaul issues since version x.x.4.10 (x.x.4.16 is ok too) since i made sat's 0.2 and 0.3 ip's.  Before it gets stable with wired, wireless IP will be all over the place but when it settles to 0.2 and 0.3, its all good

Message 40 of 809
budy
Luminary

Just wanted to chime in and let you know, that updating my RBK40 to 2.1.4.16 went just as smooth as 2.1.4.10 did. This comes as no surprise, since my system didn't had any issues with previous FWs. However, the - more cosmetic - issue, of my RBR showing solid magenta after reboot, due to the wired backhaul setup, hasn't been fixed, but I can live with that. Simply turning the LED ring off is easy enough, since my system never booted on its own.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 41 of 809
Elofi
Tutor

Finally, it resolved my previous problems. Internet back to normal. Thank you for the bug fixes.

Best regards,

Elofi

Message 42 of 809
st_shaw
Master

Updated to 2.1.4.16 and the system works fine.  But, I've never had any issues in the 17 months I've owned Orbi. I'm running in AP mode, with IP addresses statically assigned to the Orbi router and two sateliites by my Mikrotik router. I have numerous Sonos devices, Bluetooth sensor devices, Hue bulbs, wireless thermostats, and some custom 2.4 GHz Zigbee sensors in the house.

Message 43 of 809
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I want to call out a "good job" to the Netgear team for posting this beta and NOT forcing it on everyone - and instead, waiting for feedback etc. 

I understand it doesn't solve everyone's problems, but I think the method here is better and responds to the complaints on this message board that new versions are just launched/forced on everyone and then new problems are introduced.

This version did also address specific concerns (MD5 etc) so at least it's a bit of progress, even if it's not the silver bullet.

Keep working on improvements and fixes please.

Message 44 of 809
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

And by the way, I did install it, and no new problems for me.  I re-did my VPN with the update and that works correctly.

Message 45 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Stratguru wrote:

Hi @BretD,

The Guest Network is still NOT isolated with this new Firmware version 2.1.4.16 in the link below. I can’t believe this is still an unresolved topic and we are continued to be taunted with this unless check box in the Guest Network Settings “Allow guests to see each other and access my local network” ….  WHY do you hate us.. the loyal customer that goes out of our way to spend time writing on the community board time and time again about the same unresolved topic?... but I hear Orbi Pro is doing fantastic.. thanks to the Obri Home community complaining about this over and over again and @johngm reading the post.  Good job testing before you got my hopes up with the exquisite release notes..

• Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network 

NOPE!

I was so surprised to read this that I had to check for myself - and I'll be damned, yep, via Fing it looks completely wide-open (it isn't, but it's only blocking basic ICMP echo requests and port-level TCP).  Ugh.

Message 46 of 809
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Network Isolation was not on the list of things corrected with this version.  

I do, however, agree it should be fixed and that it should be a priority.  They fixed it for Pro but not standard Orbi.

Message 47 of 809
tsig
Luminary

If there is someone/something that you suspect coudl be doing something nefarious on your network, why would you allow them/it on your network at all?  This "issue" sure doesn't seem like it is all that pressing.  YOU are in control of who/what is on your network.  Exercise that control.

Message 48 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

Network Isolation was not on the list of things corrected with this version.  

I do, however, agree it should be fixed and that it should be a priority.  They fixed it for Pro but not standard Orbi.

You're unfortunately mistaken on this one.  Directly from the release notes in the very first post:

• Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network
Message 49 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@tsig wrote:

If there is someone/something that you suspect coudl be doing something nefarious on your network, why would you allow them/it on your network at all?  This "issue" sure doesn't seem like it is all that pressing.  YOU are in control of who/what is on your network.  Exercise that control.

I'm going to take it as read that this was said in jest and/or you're uninformed.  The same holds true of any IoT devices (and in a much bigger way) - if the companies producing those devices are lax, shall we just give them a free pass because, well, the consumer made the decision to put them on their network, didn't they?

Message 50 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7