Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

budy
Luminary

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

Somewhat true, but if the network isolation would work correctly, seperation would be complete and you couldn't get to your IoT devices from your trusted network as well. You do need to connect to yout IoT thingys, don't you. So, you would place them on your trusted network anyway…

There are only a very small number of IoT devices which make sense to be placed in the guest network. It's more your friends and family visiting you and demanding wifi internet access…

So @tsig has a point here. Network isolation woule be cruical for a public hotspot, where you don't control who or what is using your guest network.

Message 51 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Ok just wondering can we expect the firmware for the RBS50Y soon? or has that been delayed ? 

Message 52 of 809
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I noted some posts say this is a Beta release firmware. Is that true?

Message 53 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

I think they are all beta ... LOL

I was recently provided 2.1.5.52 ...

It was a total disaster ....

They are having a tough time figuring this out .....

Message 54 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

See I think whats going on here is there must be different hardware revisions of the same product model... I have no problems at all (thankfully & knock on wood) lol & so do many others... where im noticing that people that bought the same device are also having tons of problems... I would love to know from Netgear. Does every RBR50 have the same internal hardware? & Does every RBS50 have the same internal hardware.... If it doesn't then people are right. This could very well be a hardware defect lol. The same applies for the other models RBS40, RBR40, etc... 

Message 55 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Someone mentioned before that there maybe differences between early models and later or more recent models. 2017 was mentioned as a mid year time frame...

@computersteve wrote:

See I think whats going on here is there must be different hardware revisions of the same product model... I have no problems at all (thankfully & knock on wood) lol & so do many others... where im noticing that people that bought the same device are also having tons of problems... I would love to know from Netgear. Does every RBR50 have the same internal hardware? & Does every RBS50 have the same internal hardware.... If it doesn't then people are right. This could very well be a hardware defect lol. The same applies for the other models RBS40, RBR40, etc... 

Message 56 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Makes sense.. I got mine in the beginning of 2018.
Message 57 of 809
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

"Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network"

- Yes it says this ... but to me it looks like they fixed the issue where guest devices could not connect to the main network.
- The text does not say "fixed an issue where clients on the guest network are not properly isolated from the main network"
Message 58 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Agreed. That’s the way I interpreted that as well.
Message 59 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Jeremyinsf wrote:
"Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network"

- Yes it says this ... but to me it looks like they fixed the issue where guest devices could not connect to the main network.
- The text does not say "fixed an issue where clients on the guest network are not properly isolated from the main network"

You know...I hadn't read it that way, but I see your point.  It's literally the reverse of the way I initially read it, because we all see what we want to see, I guess.  🙂  I'm looking for total isolation, so that's how I took it, but if you *aren't* blocking transit from guest to main and things aren't interoperable, I can see how that'd be a problem too (I hadn't actually read any reports of that, but I can pretty easily see how it could happen).

Message 60 of 809
globespy
Apprentice

Yes, auto updates will still happen.

I used teh beta 2.1.3.4 and auto updated just fine

Message 61 of 809
Miles267
Apprentice

Am also anxiously awaiting the updated firmware for the RBS50Y outdoor satellite.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 62 of 809
BarryTreg
Apprentice

My upgrade to .16 was a bit bumpy... (I have wired backhaul)

satellite upgraded fine, then upload to main router failed half way through. So I turned off satellite and upload worked and the upgrade completed.

But then main router kept rebooting and disconnecting. Turned everything off and on, but no difference.

Knowing from previous experience the wired backhaul caused issues, I unplugged the ethernet cable, power cycled everything and everything came back working. Phew, I really didn't want to hard reset.

I am yet to plug back the ethernet cable, that'll be later...

One thing i did notice was that when i upgraded the satellite, it got a new IP address. When i restarted it without wired, it got the old ip address back....perhaps some nat issues, dunno. Maybe the satellite should have reserved IP address. Anyway can't really be bothered to spend more time now that i am back and running .

Overall happy now with Orbi.

Message 63 of 809
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware for the Outdoor Orbi RBS50y is finishing internal testing and should be posted in this thread as soon as it is ready which should be really quick.

DarrenM

Message 64 of 809
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware for the Outdoor Orbi RBS50y is finishing internal testing and should be posted in this thread as soon as it is ready which should be really quick.

DarrenM

Message 65 of 809
Mdnrooks1031
Aspirant

I can't get the update using the app. it still says firmware is up to date. Instructions look like it says to update manually with an ethernet cable. I'm using a macbook pro and they haven't had ethernet ports in years. How can I get this update?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 66 of 809
st_shaw
Master

@Mdnrooks1031 wrote:

I can't get the update using the app. it still says firmware is up to date. Instructions look like it says to update manually with an ethernet cable. I'm using a macbook pro and they haven't had ethernet ports in years. How can I get this update?

No need for Ethernet. Download the firwmare files to your Mac. Log into the router's GUI using a web broswer on your Mac. Do a manual update via the browser. Update the satellite(s) first.  Then update the router.  There is a unique firmware file for each.

Wired is best, because there is less risk of corruption when loading te firmware onto the router, but wireless should work fine.

Message 67 of 809
TECHX2001
Tutor

Has anyone noticed that in those download links the RBR50 and RBS50 are listed? They're unique links and when you look at the download icon on their respective pages they say RBR and RBS but when you download the file from each page they both say RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img and are the exact same size.

??

Message 68 of 809
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but I agree the file sizes are identical.

Message 69 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

There are two separate files and are named differently. Just downloaded the RBR50 and RBS50 files.

They are the same file size though. Smiley Frustrated

@TECHX2001 wrote:

Has anyone noticed that in those download links the RBR50 and RBS50 are listed? They're unique links and when you look at the download icon on their respective pages they say RBR and RBS but when you download the file from each page they both say RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img and are the exact same size.

??

Message 70 of 809
bryandmlee
Apprentice

@TECHX2001 Both files happen to have the same filesize, yes. But they are two different files (their md5 checksums are different, if that counts for anything), and I definitely saw two different filenames when I had updated to v2.1.4.16.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 71 of 809
TECHX2001
Tutor

If the RBR50 and RBS50 share the same firmware than I have a few questions:

• Why generate two unique hyperlinks pointing to two product downloads.
  • Why provide the file names if they will not match downloaded file name

And to one the previous posterers: no, the file names are not unique when downloading at least not for me.  Unless I'm facing some strange browser bug.  See screenshot.  This appears to be an error in upload or in redirection when downloading the file.  Can someone else attempt to download the firmware from both links and tell me the download name for both shows as RBS50?

Message 72 of 809
xanderwong
Tutor

I have RBK40, which link should I use? The RBS40?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 73 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

If you have RBK40 kit use RBR40 for router, after you use RBS40 for your satellite.
Message 74 of 809
Shorty86
Tutor

When logging in to the web portal, and going to the "firmware update" page, I am not able to bypass updating my wall plug satellite. There is no updated firmware for the satellite, only the router. How can I update the router's firmware only?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 75 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7