Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update

stevedfive
Aspirant

Orbi firmware update

I currently have V2.3.5.30. Do I need to update my firmware?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware update

You can if you want to. You may see notifcation on the RBRs web page about v38 or v40. You don't have to update to these versions. IF your system is working, and your not effected by any of the release notes seen in v38 or v40, keep whats loaded. 

v38 introduced one problem of device custom names. Some are bothered by this. NG is aware of it. 

Be sure you make backup configurations of your RBR to file for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@stevedfive wrote:

I also have 2.3.5.30 and when I check the Firmware Update page, Netgear tells me "No new firmware available." So, NO.

In addition, firmware update is a choice.  When 2.5.0.38 was announced, I took a "wait and see" approach, and am glad that others dove in and discovered problems.  Saved me a bunch of time and effort.

Message 3 of 4
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@stevedfive wrote:

Given the issues found in 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40, my advice would be "No, you don't."

Whatever fixes were incorporated into those releases are absolutely not worth the loss of performance and stability from the latest firmware's many issues.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7