Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

JMU1998
Luminary

Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

do we need to do nvram wipe for this 2.1.1.16 Firmware just released today? noticed it downloaded automatically. 

Message 1 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

Installed the v2.1.1.16 firmware this morning because the release notes said it would solve the problem of the satellite NOT listing the attached devices.  Not only did this new firmware NOT fix the satellite problem, it seem to have effected the stabilty of my router.  My router has rebooted itself twice in the span of four hours.  However, in the interest of full disclosure, I did NOT do a factory reset on either the router or the satellite after I installed the v2.1.1.16 firmware.  I did do a fresh reboot though.

I've actually gone back to v2.0.0.74 firmware to try and get my network stable again.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 438
scottdog123
Initiate

I had a similar problem, on the prior FW, tried factory reset and still had the system rebooting.

I found in another post where a user suggested disabling the UPnP server:

Advanced ==> Advanced Setup ==> UPnP => uncheck "Turn UPnP On"

After doing this, my system has been stable.

Message 3 of 438
webminster
Luminary

@ratickle wrote:

Installed the v2.1.1.16 firmware this morning because the release notes said it would solve the problem of the satellite NOT listing the attached devices.  Not only did this new firmware NOT fix the satellite problem, it seem to have effected the stabilty of my router

Agree with respect to the satellite attached list - was OK until about 3 hours post upgrade, now list of attached devices is empty.  Also, the router attached list isn't right, things connected to the satellite show attached to the router.  And, other devices that are attached to one or the other aren't listed at all.

Still major issues with connection accounting, 2.0.0.76 wasn't right, but this is still worse.

Message 4 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

After installing backhaul was poor in one of my sat. I disabled daisy chaining. I then rebooted. The other sat was now poor back haul. I reenavled daisy chaining and now both sats show good back haul with both showing attached devices. We are now 2 hours into the process.

would be good if there were a clear recipe for updating with daisy chained sats.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Did factory reset on both sat and base still showing all connected to base in Orbi App.

Message 6 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

I resynced . That seem to do it.

Message 7 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Tried to check with Genie App same ALL devices show connected to main base

Message 8 of 438
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Amazing....at this rate I may never update my firmware.  I'm still on 2.074   Did a second reboot in 3 weeks tonight. Total network down.

Other than that the system seem stable.  Doing what I need.

Message 9 of 438
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is there a proper way to perform a firmware update?  Some manufacturers recommend a complete reset to factory default then do the update.  What does Netgear recommend?

Message 10 of 438
Glenee
Apprentice

I don't know if this is the proper way, but it is the way I do it with Orbi. I only do manual updates. This means you have to download the frimware update image from Orbi website first. Check to make sure you have both the one for the router and the satellite and they are the correct one you want. I update the Satellite first. I then update the Router. I then check to make sure all firmware is showing correctly on each unit VIA my Orbi information page. I then unplug Modem, Router, and satellite. I also unhook cable input  from modem. I then hook cable back to modem and plug it in. I then plug in the router and then the satellite. The wait for lights to go out. 

Check to see if all is good on test.

Message 11 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

All these firmware problems might be excusable if Netgear was a newby, but Netgear has been making routers for decades.  I've been using Netgear routers for decades and I never had a problem with firmware updates causing issues.  This release of v2.1.1.16 firmware looks like a classic case of insufficient testing.  Sure when you first install the firmware everything looks fine, but three hours later, all the attached devices have dissappeared from the satellite and the router has rebooted itself twice.  Someone at Netgear seems to have dropped the ball and it is NOT giving me a good feeling about this product.

If the Netgear software engineers did their job correctly, there wouldn't have to be a magic sequence of updating the satellites before the router, or doing a factor reset or not, or doing a resync or not.  Unless Netgear fixes these firmware issues, word is going to get out that Orbi is NOT a very good router system after all.

I checked with Amazon and I have until the end of January to return my Orbi RBK50.  If the next firmware release doesn't fix the stability and functional problems, I going to send this puppy back to Amazon for a refund.  If ASUS every brings a mesh wifi system to market, you can bet that it will be rock stable, it will function as advertised, and it will have all the features that you wish Orbi had. 

Message 12 of 438
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Asus = AiMesh
I already have a AC86U in my setup so am currently exploring the options.
Suffice to say it looks impressive.
Message 13 of 438
netgearguy
Apprentice

Came home from dinner to find another full network disconnect. 

Orbi is boxed up, Eero is back in place and running w/out issue, no glitches, no problems. 

I may wait a bit (my return window is into mid to late Jan) or I may just send it back and forget it. I don't have very high hopes that I will feel confident enough to take a chance on it again. 

Message 14 of 438
alex13
Aspirant

Yep. Likely looking at returning mine.

Performance has dropped, attached devices issue and random dropouts is becoming untenable. I’ll have to move to Google Wifi or something as we don’t have Eero here in australia.

Disappointing that it wasn’t made better. 😞
Message 15 of 438
Orbi
Star

After installing this firmware one of my satellite wouldn't connect.  I tried factory defaulting the router and the satellites, and still problems. I finally had to go back to firmware V2.0.0.74. Then everything was back to somewhat normal.  Still had stability issues but atleast both satellites work.  With the new update there seems they are weakening the signal strength to the satellites, btw, I tired turning off the daisy chain and turning off the UPnP and it still didn't fix my problems.  I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO FIRMWARE 2.1.1.16

Message 16 of 438
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

Sorry for the re-post, but I originally posted this in the wrong thread. I updated to the new .16 firmware this morning, and all is still woking well. The only anomaly I'm seeing is that my wife's iphone shows up in the top group of devices along with the two satellites. It's listed as being connected to the router with an unknown connection type. The phone has internet connectivity, but strangely it also has a 'good' backhaul status associated with it. Before the update, the phone was listed along with the other devices in the lower group of devices.

Message 17 of 438
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

OK, a reboot solved my iphone display problem. I should have tried that before posting, but I was hesitant to perform what turned out to be my first reboot in my week-old system. I wasn't sure what to expect and was afraid I'd screw up an otherwise working network.

one router, two satellites

Message 18 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Orbi wrote:

After installing this firmware one of my satellite wouldn't connect.  I tried factory defaulting the router and the satellites, and still problems. I finally had to go back to firmware V2.0.0.74. Then everything was back to somewhat normal.  Still had stability issues but atleast both satellites work.  With the new update there seems they are weakening the signal strength to the satellites, btw, I tired turning off the daisy chain and turning off the UPnP and it still didn't fix my problems.  I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO FIRMWARE 2.1.1.16

Sounds like your satellite was not at the same firmware as the router.

When you update the firmware you need to update the satellites first. One by One.

Then after the satellites are updated and come up, then update the router.

Be sure you update the satellite with the RBS firmware for the satellites and the router with the RBR firmware for the router.

Message 19 of 438
Orbi
Star

It updated thru the console automatically, I also logged into the satellites to verify that they were updated to the new firmware.  I also, resynced by moving the satellites 3 feet from router.  And I also, tried factory reset.  So please don't assume I didn't update the router correctly.  There is a definate problem with the firmware because the backchannel is weak after the update.  When I flashed back to 2.0.0.74, satellites first then router, they all connected fine.

Message 20 of 438
Retired_Member
Not applicable

how do you 'flashback;?
Message 21 of 438
netgearguy
Apprentice

Download the FW version you want from the netgear site, us "Manual" on FW update page to choose that FW to downgrade to. 

Message 22 of 438
Orbi
Star

You follow these directions:

https://kb.netgear.com/000048467/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-0-0-74

But on a side note. After putting the firmware at 2.0.0.74 last night,  I woke up this morning and somehow it automatically switched my firmware back to V2.1.1.16.  Not sure how that can happen.

Message 23 of 438
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks sounds like that's Netgear's way of dragging everyone along. Or maybe they track your updates...?
Message 24 of 438
Dittim
Tutor

I had the same problem and I haven't been able to get any FW other than V1.2.0.18 to keep mine stable..  I followed these directions to stop the auto update..

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/A-way-to-disable-auto-update-of-firmware-V1-12-0-18/m-p/132539...

Hope it helps.

Message 25 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7