Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

sandsstl
Tutor

Got my Orbi exactly one month ago at a local Best Buy.  It's been running well with firmware V2.0.0.74 since.

I skipped 2.1.1.12 and yesterday installed 2.1.1.16  which flaked out immediately - dropping devices, losing the connection to the satellite, losing the satellite, reloading the "Attached Devices" page every 5 seconds... - so I went back to 2.0.0.74 and everything went back to normal.

Today I did a factory reset on both the router and satellite and did a fresh install of 2.1.1.16 with the same results I had yesterday so back to 2.0.0.74.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 76 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

Has anyone recently tried using telnet to change the nvram parameters as described it this link?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

I was going to try that to stop auto-update, but if it doesn't work, I won't waste my time.

Message 77 of 438
warrior101
Aspirant

Updated R and S to latest firmware.

Orbi Network unable to connect via PC/iOS devices.

Performed Factory Reset.

Reconfigured Orbi Network.

Connect to Orbi Network via PC/iOS - **Checked OK**

Set Orbi-R to AP Mode (AT&T gateway/5268ac)

Reboots. Attempt to connect to Orbi Network via PC/iOS device - "Invalid password".

Everything has been fine since purchase (12/15) till updating to 2.1.1.16.

Is there anyway to roll-back firmware? Thanks

Message 78 of 438
netgearguy
Apprentice

Download the version you want from Netgear's web site and flash using the Manual option in the firmware update screen. Very simple. 

Supposedly after a manual update the auto-update is disabled, but not sure that has been confirmed 100%.

Message 79 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@ratickle wrote:

@aaz wrote:

@howiedub wrote:
I bought mine from Costco as well earlier this year. The 7,500sf number is on their website. You can see the 6,000sf number on the screenshot from Slick Deals. When did you buy yours? And how many devices do you have connected? I have anywhere from 26 to over 30 devices connected.

I got it a little more than 3 months ago when I visited Oregon. Came with 1.x firmware and I did a manual update as it refused to update automatically. Been doing manual updates ever since come to think of it since it's never found any firmware automatically for me - though I am in Vancouver Canada.

Right now it's listing 25 devices and two satellites connected. It bounces up to more than 40 devices when some other things are connected and some family visits.

I've always run it as the router, not an AP.

Stability has been rock solid except for the initial incident that prompted me to turn off UPNP. 1 day and 3 hours uptime now on 2.1.1.16 and all is good.

What version of the firmware were you running right before you updated to v2.1.1.16?  I'm asking because I have a theory that v2.1.1.12 caused all the problems and going from v2.1.1.12 to v2.1.1.16 without doing a factory reset does NOT eliminate the problems introduced by v2.1.1.12?

Definitely not that - I updated to 2.1.1.12 and you will see all my complaints on the forum about the issues introduced. I went from that to 2.1.1.16 without wiping, reseting or anything special. Though I did reboot again after the update to 2.1.1.16 because initially when it came up it took a long time to connect the satellites - the second time it did not so I just figured that was an anomally that isn't showing again.

I can list my config if you want to know. Maybe we'll discover some differences and hopefully one of those is the cause - otherwise it's something buried in their config but not visible to the user.

Message 80 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@howiedub wrote:

I'm starting to think it's hardware related. Seems like people who got their Orbis recently don't have the issues and those that have had it since the 1.* firmware days are the ones having issues. Just my 2 cents.

Definitly not that - I did get my orbi just over 3 months ago from costco, but it came with the 1.1.0.16 firmware. I updated straight from there to 1.12.0.18 and on from there with no stability issues so far. Not sure if they are just loading new hardware with the old firmware, but I would doubt that.

Message 81 of 438
jdurrant51
Aspirant

Couldn’t wait for a fix! My wife missed 8 Hours of work because of the screwup! Bit the bullet and bought an Eero network. Up and running w/o issue now!

jim

Message 82 of 438
godspeed
Apprentice

Unfortunately, my final go with Orbi resulted in a reboot today, only 4 hours after setting it up as a router (was previously in AP mode).  I cannot spend half my day constantly monitoring and tweaking something (and not get paid for it).

Sorry Netgear, i had high hopes for the Orbi..when it worked, it was FAST, everywhere.  But it just doesn't work consistently, in my case.

On to try Eero now.

You posters have been great, and i really appreciate all the feedback and intelligent troubleshooting that everyone has tried.  I sincerely wish you good luck to those who choose to stick with Orbi.  

Message 83 of 438
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Using Orbo in router mode, 1 satellite. Upgraded from .12 to .16

Initially displays were all correct, but after a while seemed like everything was being reported against the router. But everything was stable and getting good speeds. 

Decided to try ethernet backhaul again. Plugged in, web interface showed it as a connected wired satellite. Orbi app showed it as a connected device. Initially,  my Galaxy s7 and lenovo yoga book linked up to satellite as expected but showed as a wired connection in the web interface! But when moving aorund the house with the yoga book, the device just dropped wifi when moving from router to satellite. Sigh. 

Unplugged ethernet backhaul, and it flicked back to wireless. Now the attached devices display is all correct again and router to satellite switching is flawless.

Taking a break from 192.168.1.1 - I daren't touch enything whilst it's all humming along. 

Message 84 of 438
NickC4555
Star

@RogerSC wrote:

I wouldn't waste your time trying to block auto-update, unless you have a lot of time to burn.

The Telnet fix previously referred to does work, although I also changed the auto update settings using the same method in each of my satellites too. When you go into the admin console it says "A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it.", but it doesn't install it automatically. Not so far anyway.

I would urge anyone who is having these problems to ask support for beta version 2.0.1.2, it was provided to me after all the problems with 2.0.0.74 and has been perfect for 2 months. It's the only one that has been able to daisy chain at 5Ghz over the distance between my satellites and it never drops the connection. 2.1.1.16 uses 2.4Ghz for backhaul over the same distance loses its connection every few minutes.

Message 85 of 438
mossywell
Star

I wish I'd read this before updating from 2.0.0.74 to 2.1.1.16. 2.0.0.74 had been solid for me (with mesh networking disabled). So, I merrily (it is Christmas after all) decided to update. Since then, half the devices (mostly Android) show Wifi connectivity but no Internet. I haven't have a chance to investigate yet but I believe that it is devides attaching to the Sat that can't reach the Internet. Devices close to the main Router can, but, as I say, I haven't had time to check that this is a scientific assertion.

If this were opensource, I'd be happy to investigate. But, this is a commercial offering that I paid a goodly sum for. A reasonable person (I'm from the UK where "reasonable person" has legal meaning) would expect it just "to work" and certainly not faff for hours doing Netgear's system testing and debugging for them. I have all the skills to do these things, but I gave Netgear a large sum of money so that I don't have to.

A disappointed Scrooge.

Message 86 of 438
NickC4555
Star

@mossywell wrote:

I wish I'd read this before updating from 2.0.0.74 to 2.1.1.16. 2.0.0.74 had been solid for me (with mesh networking disabled). So, I merrily (it is Christmas after all) decided to update.

Unfortunately, unless you jumped through the hoops described elsewhere in this topic, you can't stop it updating. I strongly recommend that you do, though, and save a version of the firmware that works for you for future restores. There are so many variables that there doesn't seem to be a one size fits all release.

Message 87 of 438
Retired_Member
Not applicable

got the 2.1.1.1.6 update early this morning via auto-pilot.

When I first tried to open the SlingTV device it said no internet.  That turned out to be not true.  After a few minutes it was working fine.

The only other thing I've noticed is the wifi signal icon on my laptop seems to fluctulate more than before.  Still connected...just noticible.  Laptop has not moved.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 88 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

Currenting experiencing the longest uptime without a self-reboot in the five day that I have owned my Orbi.  Two days ago I manually forced the router and the satellite back to 2.0.0.74.  I did a factory reset (via a paperclip) on both the router and the satellite as the first step.  I did NOT use Telnet to clear NVRAM.  The only configuration changes I made was to turn OFF daisy chaining and to turn OFF UPnP.  The system ran for 15 hours without a self-reboot on 2.0.0.74 AND all my devices connected to the satellite showed up on the satellite's list.

Yesterday, the Orbi's did a auto-update to 2.1.1.16.  (They skipped 2.1.1.12.)  That auto-update is what ended the 15 hours of seeming perfect operation.  Today, my uptime is over 19 hours and the system seems to be working well, EXCEPT that connected devices are being shown on the satellite's list.  Finger's crossed that I make it 24 hours without a self-reboot!

I've attached the statistics page from the router's advanced/internet port page.  The statistics show LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3.  LAN1 and LAN2 have the same 19 hour uptime, but LAN3 has only 7 hour uptime.  I'm assuming LAN1 is 2.4gHz, LAN2 is 5gHz, and LAN3 is the 5gHz backhaul channel.  Does that seem correct to you guys?

Message 89 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

Ooooops....   Realized my mistake right after I hit SEND.

LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3 must be the ethernet ports on the back of the router.  (Because the wireless channels are listed below those.)  It is still curious that one of my ethernet ports has a different uptime than the other two.  If a device attached to an ethernet port reboots does that reset the uptime of the port?

Message 90 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

ratickle wrote:
If a device attached to an ethernet port reboots does that reset the uptime of the port? 
Since the uptime of both ports, to which my two desktops are attached, is reset every time the computers go into sleep (low power) mode, the uptime must get reset whenever a device attached to a LAN port reboots.

Message 91 of 438
steelhorse83
Guide

Well, I'm happy to report 28.5 hrs of uptime so far.  No known issues yet.  I think the only non-default setting I have is I deselected Daisy Chain after the 2.0 code came out.  Other than that, it's mostly a stock configuration.  I have 21 devices on the network.

Message 92 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

2 days 20 hours up.

30 devices 

daisy changed 5g

no devices show on sats

incorrect listing on router 

8% on router 25% on last sat 17 % on transfer sat.

Message 93 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

@jmschnur923 wrote:

2 days 20 hours up.

30 devices 

daisy changed 5g

no devices show on sats

incorrect listing on router 

8% on router 25% on last sat 17 % on transfer sat.

I assume you are currently running 2.1.1.16.  If so, what was your "version path" to get there? (i.e. what other versions have you installed?) Also, did you do a factory reset and/or a Telnet NVRAM erase and if so, at what point was that done in your "version path"?

Thanks for supplying useful data.  It is encouraging to see that some people have stable systems.

Message 94 of 438
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Seeing the same weirdness with all wireless connections being reported as connected to the main Orbi router. Connected devices are 1 satellite and 23 clients, all but 2 show as connected to the RBR, the 2 that are not are PCs hardwired to the RBS. I wonder if this is for real or another bug. Also, daisy chain topology is disabled.

Message 95 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

.074 to .76 to 2.112 to 2.116

all manual updates.

reboots then forced syncing of sats.

each version gave me full WiFi function in house.30+ devices.

.074 and .076 gave me correct sat info for attached devices.

5g connections to sats

daisy chain enabled.

AP. Mode fios.

Message 96 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

@jmschnur923 wrote:

.074 to .76 to 2.112 to 2.116

all manual updates.

reboots then forced syncing of sats.

each version gave me full WiFi function in house.30+ devices.

.074 and .076 gave me correct sat info for attached devices.

5g connections to sats

daisy chain enabled.

AP. Mode fios.

Good info.  Thanks.

Any factory resets or NVRAM clear along the way?

Message 97 of 438
joelinho
Apprentice

I dont know if I should be happy or sad. I have had so much trouble with this system since I got it 6 months ago, and I had just given up getting it to work. I have even initiated the return process to the place where I bought it.

From day one the satellite has been unstable loosing connectivity to the router. I have had to reboot it constantly to get it working again.

The last few days I have been going between V2.0.0.74 to V2.1.1.12 down to V1.11.0.20. Then system auto upgrade to V2.0.0.74 again (this was before V2.1.1.16 was released). Tested the V2.1.1.16, it seemed to be worse than ever. Downgraded back down to V1.11.0.20 again which has been pretty stable before but was now also acting up.

Disabled all the advanced features such as Daisy-Chain Topology, Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO, etc. Nothing made any difference. I did a factory reset and set up everything again. Still unstable as hell.

Finally I just said "**bleep** it!", called Netgear support and they agreed I should get the system replaced. I contacted the dealer to initiate this. Then I upgraded to V2.1.1.16, did a hardware reset on the satellite (pushed the button in that tiny little hole on the back), and enabled all those advanced features except for Daisy-Chain Topology which I dont need. And annoyingly enough the system has been stable for 2 days now. So now I dont know if I want it to fail so I can send it back or if I want it to work so that I can keep it. For now I am just enjoying the stability of the network. But I dont trust it to last, yet...

Message 98 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Just completed a fresh factory reset and reboots, this is second time did this week still all devices show connected to main base nothing to satellite. 

Message 99 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

No resets. No no nvram clear. System reboot for each firmware change. 

I did did have to sync the sats to get 5g and good back haul on 16.

Message 100 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7