Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

mossywell
Star

Oh OK. I thought that manual firmware updates disabled automatic firmware updates?
Message 126 of 438
Kewonotay
Aspirant

I wanted to chime in, too, since I have just switched after being an Orbi RBK40+RBW30(2) system user for almost a year to the day.  Like many of you, I've become increasingly frustrated with the lack of reliability in the system.  I've had issues here and there since the 2.0 release, but I work from home and have not been able to complete a voip or videoconference without disconnecting due to resets since 2.1.1.12 and 2.1.1.16. Yesterday was the final straw and I disconnected this $500+ investment and went back to my Google Onhub after realizing it could be used as part of a Google Wi-fi mesh network.  I purchased the 3 wi-fi point network, set it up in under 30 minutes, and haven't had a single issue with it since. I get about 3/4th's the download speeds I did with Orbi, but at least I have a reliable connection.  I'll keep checking back to see if these issues ever get resolved, but for now, count me as one of the many who are very frustrated with Netgear and their apparent lack of support for their user community.  

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 127 of 438
mossywell
Star

Not at home ATM but it's something like
Enable telnet
nvram clear
nvram commit
Or something like that IIRC

Oddly it doesn't do what a factory reset does (which may mean I didn't do it right myself!) No idea if a factory reset does a nvram clear (ie the opposite way round) though. Can't harm to do both when the latest firmware is so screwed!

😉
Message 128 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

@angr yes you are not the only one who is having similar issues, I think this is a bug introduced by latest firmware my devices are missing on the list and nothing showing connected to satellite, have factory reset many times reinstalled Firmware,  even tried nvram clean process issue comes back.

It's not just with the latest firmware - I've seen this bug occasionally on 2.0.0.74 as well. Can't make any sense on when it decides to show or not though.

Message 129 of 438
southflguy
Star

@aaz wrote:

@JMU1998 wrote:

@angr yes you are not the only one who is having similar issues, I think this is a bug introduced by latest firmware my devices are missing on the list and nothing showing connected to satellite, have factory reset many times reinstalled Firmware,  even tried nvram clean process issue comes back.

It's not just with the latest firmware - I've seen this bug occasionally on 2.0.0.74 as well. Can't make any sense on when it decides to show or not though.

Yep - I was seeing this with the .74 firmware as well.  The newest firmware made things worse.  Netgear is usually pretty great (all my network gear is Netgear) - their line of Arlo cameras are fantastic. It's a shame we are having so many issues with the Orbi.

Message 130 of 438
njweb
Luminary

@njweb wrote:

My RBK 50 (3 unit system - router and 2 satellites) was upgradeded to 2.1.1.16 a few days ago (automatically). No issues so far. Have not tested all my devices yet but the ones we use are working fine.

Since that upgrade, I have used at least 3 laptops, 1 tablet, Android, iPhone and TiVO MoCA setup and Roku with it and things are working well.

I work remotely and not one disconnect yet from my home connection to my company virtual desktop (which requires a constant connection - if my router connection drops, my virtual desktop connection would get dropped too).

So far so good.

Settings (mostly default, using WPA2-AES security):

Daisy chaining is disabled.

I do have all of the following enabled:

BEAMFORMING
MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Just to add:

I should perhaps have clarified - I saw a number of members posting about connection stability issues with 2.1.1.16. Thus, when I referred to no issues, I meant I was not observing any connectivity or other performance issues.

Connected Devices DISPLAY issue (does not impact performance?):

I see 21 devices connected (8 wired and 13 wireless). All 13 wireless devices show connected to the router which is not correct, so that issue indeed needs to be resolved. Luckily it appears to be a display issue only (correct me if anyone is seeing issues where all devices are actually connected to the router) and does NOT (appear to) impact throughput.

I'll have to run some signal strength and speedtests to confirm the devices are connected to the satellites.

I did run a test on my mobile phone a few days ago and it showed a signal strength consistent with being connected to the satellite (will need to double check though).

PS: I did not perform a factory reset (or NVRAM clear etc.).

Message 131 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Trying an experiment here. I've flashed back to v2.0.0.76, and am waiting to see if I get auto-updated. In addition, I have the Orbi in AP mode, and R7800 in "wired-only" mode. And dd-wrt firmware on the R7800, with "netgear.downloads.com" and "netgear.download.com" blocked via dd-wrt "access restriction". Going to wait to see if the Orbi gets auto-updated...so far, after almost a day, I'm not getting the "there is newer firmware available" message yet, and things are stable and working well.

We'll see if Netgear can find me and auto-update my Orbi :-). Got a while to wait before I'll know.

Message 132 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@RogerSC wrote:

Trying an experiment here. I've flashed back to v2.0.0.76, and am waiting to see if I get auto-updated. ....

Um, you won't get any auto updates since Negear has stopped auto updates over the holidays. You'll get it in the new year.  

Message 133 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

I confess I’m having 2nd thoughts about setting up the Orbi system. The issues here greatly concern me that I’ll have to nurse the system along to keep it running. 

Im starting to reconsider deploying a trio of Ubiquiti USP-AC-LITEs in lieu of the Orbi system and continue to use my AC56U as a router only and disable WiFi on it.

I’d much rather have a reliable system that just works vs dealing with a temperamental system that lives on the bleeding edge to see a performance difference I may not even notice.

Am I reading too much into all these posts about firmware issues?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 134 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

*UAP, not usp. Thanks autocorrect.

Message 135 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Personally I think you are reading too much into it. Be aware that people find this forum mainly if they are having issues. So most everyone you hear from here has issues - if they are running without issues they will not be here saying how wonderfully it has been working for them.

Message 136 of 438
njweb
Luminary

@orbirick wrote:

I confess I’m having 2nd thoughts about setting up the Orbi system. The issues here greatly concern me that I’ll have to nurse the system along to keep it running. 

Im starting to reconsider deploying a trio of Ubiquiti USP-AC-LITEs in lieu of the Orbi system and continue to use my AC56U as a router only and disable WiFi on it.

I’d much rather have a reliable system that just works vs dealing with a temperamental system that lives on the bleeding edge to see a performance difference I may not even notice.

Am I reading too much into all these posts about firmware issues?

I own the RBK53 system and have pesonally never had any performance issues with any of the last three firmwares. There may be specific network setups (devices) or advanced feature settings that are causing some to experience issues.

Buy one from a merchant who accepts returns.

I tried Asus Lyra (after it had just come out) and it was not ready for primetime. Android App for setup was not even working (had to borrow an iPhone from my wife). Velop performance was not nearly as good as Orbi.

For me Orbi has been great and I use it with a connection to my work virtual desktop, for days when I work remotely, where any router disconnect would be noticeable. Rock solid for me.

I am not using the new daisy chaining though as my router is in the middle floor and the two satellites are one floor above and one floor below (basement).

Message 137 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

I agree that only people with issues tends to post, but the number of people with issues does concern me. While I’m technically pretty savvy, I’m not a network engineer and have no desire to get myself into a situation where I have to telnet into the router to turn off auto updates, clear nvram, set up distinct 2.4 and 5 GHz networks so my 5 GHz clients don’t stick to the 2.4 bands, etc. 

While I like to tinker, I can get in over my head pretty quickly, and don’t want to shut down the network for the family while I play. 😉

Message 138 of 438
Hydro130
Luminary

I agree with aaz...  

I'm on the latest f/w, and I'm not having an issues with my Orbi.  I've had my Orbi since they were first released welll over a year ago, and it's always worked overall extremely well for me.  Some f/w releases here & there have been not so great, but none of them have ever resulted any sustained headaches for me.

Based on the posts you see here, there's clearly something that could be improved in the firmware for some Orbi users, but I certainly don't envy any engineers faced with trying to sort these things out... There are a near infinite number of variables that can make one given Orbi system/setup work perfectly well in one environment, but make that same very Orbi system be a total trainwreck in some other environment.

For me and a lot of other Orbi users out there, the system is really fantastic and reliable.  If you have it already, I think it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Message 139 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Just to be clear, I have the RBK53 system I bought from Costco about a week ago but haven’t had time to set it up yet. I have Ethernet cables run from my office to the den (near the center of the first floor) and also to the living room (opposite end from the office on the first floor). Since I plan to use wired backhaul, I need to upgrade the firmware to 2.1.x.x... which seems to be part of the issue with recent posters. 

Message 140 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@orbirick wrote:

Just to be clear, I have the RBK53 system I bought from Costco about a week ago but haven’t had time to set it up yet. I have Ethernet cables run from my office to the den (near the center of the first floor) and also to the living room (opposite end from the office on the first floor). Since I plan to use wired backhaul, I need to upgrade the firmware to 2.1.x.x... which seems to be part of the issue with recent posters. 

And I’ll be in star topology too, not daisy chain, if that matters.

Message 141 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

Hard to know how you will fare. Biggest problems have been incorrect reporting of attached devices. My daisy chain ap system works fine but with that with that error.

Clearly Netgear needs to do better beta testing before releasing its firmware updates. Perhaps the people who report problems here would be good candidates for testing.

forcing updates not a great idea.

Message 142 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I would go ahead and set up and use the Orbi. Say there were 100,000 sold (don't know), and ~10 or even 20 users are writing into this forum repeatedly. I've been in the router biz for a long time, and for any given piece of hardware there will be a certain number of people with problematic clients or something about the way that they've set things up that isn't compatible with the hardware that they're trying to use. Also, a certain amount of defective hardware is distributed. Between the two of those (and throw in pilot error as well, I guess :-)), there's going to be some fallout. And some of those folks are going to be very vocal, as well they should be. But i wouldn't let statistical anomalies keep me away from a great piece of hardware.

By the way, no problems here, just some comments on the firmware *smile*. My Orbi has been very reliable and functional, and has performed well.

Message 143 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'll disagree with most every user on here that has stated they are having issues with rebooting of their routers. It has nothing to do with which firmware they are running. More likely it is something environmental. 

For me it was a bad IP camera trying to take over my UPNP environment, and that caused resets - after turning off UPNP on the Orbi that issue dissappeared and has not appeared with any other firmware. I know it's UPNP because I've seen it in UPNP logs coinciding with the reboots. Since you don't need UPNP, and probably better to run without it, I've just left it off.

There are minor annoyances with the latest firmware such as not all devices showing up in the list of devices, but that is very minor as most are showing, and I know they are working on that issue.

If you have an issue with firmware 2.1.1.16 with your router rebooting you will best do a re-evaluation of what else you have on your network and try to resolve it from that perspective - or just return your orbi as you will likely have issues with every firmware you'll try for the next little while.

Message 144 of 438
miskaone
Aspirant

I was having similar issues and it turned out that I had '$' in my network key (password). This stablized most of my issues. I will say I am on my 3rd set of Orbi's.  I am not sure all my issues are resolved but at least I am not rebooting several times a day.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 145 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@aaz wrote:

I'll disagree with most every user on here that has stated they are having issues with rebooting of their routers. It has nothing to do with which firmware they are running. More likely it is something environmental. 

For me it was a bad IP camera trying to take over my UPNP environment, and that caused resets - after turning off UPNP on the Orbi that issue dissappeared and has not appeared with any other firmware. I know it's UPNP because I've seen it in UPNP logs coinciding with the reboots. Since you don't need UPNP, and probably better to run without it, I've just left it off.

There are minor annoyances with the latest firmware such as not all devices showing up in the list of devices, but that is very minor as most are showing, and I know they are working on that issue.

If you have an issue with firmware 2.1.1.16 with your router rebooting you will best do a re-evaluation of what else you have on your network and try to resolve it from that perspective - or just return your orbi as you will likely have issues with every firmware you'll try for the next little while.

If that is true, why would some be reporting stable systems after reverting to an earlier firmware?

I can't revert else I lose my wired backhaul.

And your last paragraph sorta illustrates my dilemma... 

I'm not wanting to pay more for less, as it were. So the Ubiquiti option has its pros (at much less cost too). Just not sure of the cons of that approach vs Orbi.

Message 146 of 438
MikeDTuck
Aspirant

I am sure this will jinx me, but my router has been stable for 32 hours now, with no reboots or drops, running 2.1.1.16. And no, haven't done anything interesting lately to the Orbi.

On the subject of why some people are more stable than others, I agree that part of it could be that they don't realize that the router is rebooting. I knew I was having intermittent problems, but I wasn't even sure if it was my internet (ATT Gigabit Fiber so pretty reliable), the Orbi, a specific device, etc. It wasn't until I started to check the debug page more regularly and positioned the Orbi so I can see the top a little better, that I realized it was rebooting.

Message 147 of 438
godspeed
Apprentice

I bought 2 kits of the RBK50, one from amazon (cyber monday sale), and one from walmart ($199 clearance).  Both had the reboot issues, running firmware from 2.0 and 2.1. 

I, like most others posting here, have tried to troubleshoot this ourselves, finding what may, or may not affect the Orbis.  For me, i tried:

1. 2 different RBK50 systems

2. changed power outlets and positions of satellite and router (best i could do was 45 feet away and 1 wall separating Router and Satellite)

3. added UPS to router

4. changed ethernet cord three times

5. ran Orbi in router mode and in AP mode, with an Asus AC68 as router.

I have 1 ipad, numerous android devices from 6.0 to 7.1 (no Oreo yet).  5 Echo Dots, 1 google home, 1 Chromecast audio, 1 chromecast gen 2, 1 chromecast gen 1, 2 roku streaming sticks, 1 roku premiere plus, and 3 windows 10 PCs.

I can agree that it "could" be one of these devices causing issues, as the google devices and the rokus actually broadcast wirelessly, but why have these devices NEVER ONCE rebooted my asus router?  I am sure others here have a router they use before the Orbis where there other devices did not exhibit this kind of behaviour.  My conclusion here, is that Orbi (and other mesh providers) need to add code to their routers to help alleviate the ability of devices bringing down the router/satellite.

I also purchased an Eero Gen 2 (+ 2 beacons), and have had it running for 2 days now.  Not a single hiccup.  I will most likely return the Eero's as well, because, for the price ($330), the feature set is VERY weak, but the stability is awesome.  I am not spending an extra $100 a year to add in network security for the Eero, when Asus routers have most of that built in, for free.

Anyway, i REALLY hope Netgear can figure this out, as the Orbi RBK50 was perfect for my house.

Message 148 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@godspeed, by any chance did you disable UPnP?

Message 149 of 438
godspeed
Apprentice

When i ran the Orbi in router mode, yes, i had UPNP disabled.  Most of my testing was with the Orbi in AP mode, so the UPNP option was not available to change.  On my Asus router, i have UPNP disabled.

Message 150 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7