Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

mossywell
Star

nvram set orbi_auto_upg=0
nvram set auto_update=0
nvram commit

Message 176 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Very interesting. I took the AC56U completely out of the picture and replaced it with a Gb switch. I’ve been able to set up my google home devices and network operations appear normal.

Where can I find router/satellite uptime info? I assume it will tell me uptime since the last reboot so I can tell if I’ve had any spurious reboots?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 177 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

For the router, enter your login credentials here --> http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

For a satellite, replace "orbilogin.com" with the sat's IP address.

Message 178 of 438
tkshaffer
Guide

I have lost an entire day after updating and wonder if anyone has suggestions.  Have had the orbi since june with one satellite, pretty much default settings...has been flawless.  After it updated my Netgear Arlo's suddenly stopped connecting to the network as did my 10 room sonos system.  Basically wireless was fine but anything connected to the router that set up its own network was toast.  After several factory resets of orbi and Arlo I now see the camera's...whew.  Sonos appears completely dead.  I noticed it was an outdated email so tried to switch the email and still no luck.  Factory reset Sonos, no luck.  I can connect one sonos to the router and it will work, but much like the Arlos it can't communicate with any other device it is supposed to connect to.  I literally have 8 hours into factory resets of all of these devices and I think my wife is about ready to throw me out of the house I am getting so ticked off.  What is going on with this update????  For what it is worth, xbox both wired and hard wired are fine.  Mobile devices all fine.  

Message 179 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

@Hydro130 so if you are not seeing any issues can you confirm your device list is correct?  Do you see all your devices connected and if so does the satellite show devices or are all connected to main router? How often are you seeing reboots?

Message 180 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@tagteam wrote:
For the router, enter your login credentials here --> http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

For a satellite, replace "orbilogin.com" with the sat's IP address.

Thank you!

For the record, since I removed the AC56U from the system, network operations appear normal, I've been able to set up my Google home devices, etc. No more pop ups telling me to reconnect the AC56U WAN port to the modem. So my error there thinking I could use a router as a switch by disabling DHCP and the radios. Either there's more to it than that or it can't be done. Regardless, it seems to be working fine now that I swapped out the old router with a Gb switch.

Message 181 of 438
Hydro130
Luminary

My main device list is accurate, and my satellite device list shows its attached devices properly too.

My uptime matches the last time I manually rebooted (after tweaking some configuration changes to my SmartThings hub).  

I often work from home, and my remote conection to work is unforgiving of any type of disconnect - if Orbi was doing doing any quick unexpected reboots, I'd most definitely notice it, and I haven't had any of those.

Message 182 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@tkshaffer wrote:

I have lost an entire day after updating and wonder if anyone has suggestions.  Have had the orbi since june with one satellite, pretty much default settings...has been flawless.  After it updated my Netgear Arlo's suddenly stopped connecting to the network as did my 10 room sonos system.  Basically wireless was fine but anything connected to the router that set up its own network was toast.  After several factory resets of orbi and Arlo I now see the camera's...whew.  Sonos appears completely dead.  I noticed it was an outdated email so tried to switch the email and still no luck.  Factory reset Sonos, no luck.  I can connect one sonos to the router and it will work, but much like the Arlos it can't communicate with any other device it is supposed to connect to.  I literally have 8 hours into factory resets of all of these devices and I think my wife is about ready to throw me out of the house I am getting so ticked off.  What is going on with this update????  For what it is worth, xbox both wired and hard wired are fine.  Mobile devices all fine.  

I'm far from an expert on this, but am curious if you tried manually installing the earlier firmware that was working ok for you? If that fixes it, I'd be tempted to turn off auto updates if you can figure out how to do that.

Message 183 of 438
smearp
Initiate

I finally gave up and returned the Orbi and returned it to Costco. I had invested too much of my life just trying to get the basics to work.  I picked up an eero from the Microsoft Store (the Gen1 is on sale for $249 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/eero-Home-WiFi-System/9339PR1TFZHS), and although it doesn't have nearly as many knobs and switches as the Orbi, it JUST WORKS.  I have working mesh wifi in all parts of my house that does not disconnect on a whim.  I am SO much happier!

Message 184 of 438
cyberprashant
Luminary

I've tested this a couple times:  Fast Roaming feature doesn't seem to work well with amazon echo's located in betwen satellite and router (somewhat fringe zone I think it keeps dropping off and losing connection). as soon as I disable that all is good. 

No dropped connections now.  29 devices across the 3-pack from costco.  I think the range of the satellites is weaker lately for some reason.  For those having issues try adding a satellite or move the satellite closer to the base?  The advertised range is I think way overstated.   I have one satellite on ethernet backhaul and one wireless with daisy chain turned ON.   Nice that it's letting you mix and match backhaul types.  FW 2.1.1.6

I also have these turned ON

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Message 185 of 438
tkshaffer
Guide

So this is interesting...I think I am getting DOS attack blocks every time i try and re-add my sonos players back into my system.  I am not that technical...is there a way to verify and/or work around it?

Message 186 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think it was in an earlier post that st_shaw posted about adding Sonos devices to the Orbi network and you have to be careful to not set up the Sonos so it creates it's own network. Sono's tries to do that and then you will get loops in your routing and other wierdness and possibly your DOS. 

Message 187 of 438
st_shaw
Master

@aaz@tkshaffer  If you wire one, and only one, Sonos device into your network, Sonos will create its own mesh network (Sonosnet) on 2.4 GHz.  You need to set Sonos to use channel 11 and Orbi to use channel 11, or vice versa, to avoid interference. That's how I have mine setup and it works perfectly.   If you wire more than one Sonos device you can create network loops and crash your network.

Alternatively, you can setup Sonos to connect to your WiFi, but if you do that you must not connect any Sonos devices with a wire. As soon as you connect one Sonos device the entire system will revert to Sonosnet.

Message 188 of 438
parostberg
Tutor

Are there any workarounds?
My Orbi is restarting ALOT after the update, I would say every 10 minutes.
Tried the downgrade firmware to last working version, but problem remains..
Message 189 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

I had better stability when I did a factory reset before manually loading the v2.0.0.74 firmware.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 190 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@parostberg wrote:

Ouch. That would be painful. I wish there was a simple answer to your question. All I can say is that after setting mine up about 24 hours ago, then piddling with it to fix various things I screwed up, I've not seen any reboots other than my forced reboots. Mine has been up over 5 hours now.

Did you disable UPnP? 

Message 191 of 438
parostberg
Tutor

Disabled upnp in v2.1.1.16. Downgraded to previous version and are now using standard settings for testing purpose. Problem remains.
Before downgrading, I activated the Cirkle Disney thing. Could it be like this function is still there after reseting to a previous version?
Don't understand why it doesn't work now, there where no problem before with the previous version?
Message 192 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@parostberg wrote:

With behavior like that I would reset both the router and satellite to defaults, and then manually re-enter my settings. That might well help this situation. If not, then there may be a wireless client that isn’t acting nice. That might show up in the log, but Netgear has really limited what goes into their logs, so you’d just have to look and see. There’s a much better logging facility available via the debug page, but it’s harder to use since there’s so much in that log.

Message 193 of 438
tkshaffer
Guide

Thanks for the feedback! So you set both to channel 11? It is weird because it has been working fine for 7 months with one wired and the Sonos mesh and I let it auto assign channels.
Message 194 of 438
johnmharte
Aspirant

I'm new the the orbi but i can say after 3 weeks of ownership I'm having to reboot my main device every 24hrs after v2.1.1.16

Before that, I didn't have a single issue with the two devices in my home.  

Also what I'm seeing is the device keeps clearing out the DNS entries for my internet conection.

I use OpenDNS server but each time I'm forced to reboot, it goes back to Google and another DNS host that I don't recongize.

Domain Name Server

That loss of my my custom DNS settings definately looks to be a bug much less the loosing of connectiivty every 24hrs.

That "loss" is the purple LED on top of the main router and the cable modem is still going just fine.  I can restart the modem and it will show good but the Orbi router stays purple... until I force it to restart.  And... I loose my DNS settings as above.  Very odd.

I don't see an easy way to fail back to the pervious firmware without a manual update... 

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.1.1.16
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.309
Operation Mode Router

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 195 of 438
st_shaw
Master

@tkshaffer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! So you set both to channel 11? It is weird because it has been working fine for 7 months with one wired and the Sonos mesh and I let it auto assign channels.

Sorry for the typo.  You set one to channel 1 and one to channel 11!

Message 196 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

I'm also having random reboots since the 2.1.1.16 update. 

I found this article while browsing Reddit.  What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/24/android-8-oreo-may-causing-wi-fi-connection-problems-mesh-ro...

Message 197 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@robertcdh wrote:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/24/android-8-oreo-may-causing-wi-fi-connection-problems-mesh-ro...

All I can say is that I'm running Oreo (8.0) on my OnePlus3. I installed the Orbi system about 24 hours ago and upgraded to v2.1.1.16. After futzing around with a router I used as a switch and having some connectivity issues, I replaced the router with a Gb switch, disabled UPnP, enabled MU-MIMO and beamforming as well as fast routing. 

The debug page shows I've been up for 13+ hours now. I've not noticed any reboots other than the ones I forced. AFAIK, the system is running normally on 2.1.1.16 for me. So far. 

Message 198 of 438
ratickle
Apprentice

@orbirick wrote:

@robertcdh wrote:

All I can say is that I'm running Oreo (8.0) on my OnePlus3. I installed the Orbi system about 24 hours ago and upgraded to v2.1.1.16. After futzing around with a router I used as a switch and having some connectivity issues, I replaced the router with a Gb switch, disabled UPnP, enabled MU-MIMO and beamforming as well as fast routing. 

The debug page shows I've been up for 13+ hours now. I've not noticed any reboots other than the ones I forced. AFAIK, the system is running normally on 2.1.1.16 for me. So far. 

I have 27 devices connected to the network, including Android, Apple, and Windows based products.  None of my Android devices are running Oreo.

Four days ago I did factory resets on router and satellite and manually loaded 2.1.1.16. Disabled UPnP, but did not enable any "advanced features".  Stability is much better than before the factory reset and reload, but on average I still get random self-reboots on both the router and the satellite.  I have had uptimes of more than one day, but never more than a day and a half.  Also had self-reboots in as little as four hours.

This morning right before the router self-rebooted, I was looking at the uptime via debug and I noticed that the CPU utilization was around 75%.  This seems very high for a router where no one was using any connected devices except me and I was just reading email.  A few minutes later, the router self-rebooted.  So frustrating.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 199 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Checking the debug page this morning (Merry Christmas!), I see one of the satellites rebooted about 4AM this morning. Otherwise, the router has been up over 21 hours and the other satellite about 9 hours since I unplugged it to install a Chromecast Ultra about midnight last night.

I'm in a 'trust but verify' mode right now.

Message 200 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7