Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

rawmill
Star

I didn't. Just downloaded the two zip files, then manually update the satellites first, then manually update the router. Once everything restarted, system was stable.
Message 276 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

7+ days of uptime since I installed the RBK53 system and online updated from 1.12.0.18 to 2.0.0.74, then manually updated to 2.1.1.16.

I do not use the Disney Circle option, and telnet is disabled so far. All satellites are wired.

I sure wish I had some idea what distinguishes my system from those with issues. NG would do themselves a huge favor by figuring this out sooner rather than later.

It sure keeps my interest hearing of systems that ran for months, then mysteriously began having issues after an auto update to 2.x. Makes me glad I bought at Costco in the event I find I need to return it.

Sorta kinda remaining in trust but verify mode with this wifi system.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 277 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

Orbirick, are you using your Orbi as a router and access point or just an access point? Do you have any advanced features enabled? Do you have devices plugged into the Ethernet ports on the Orbi or your satellite?

I use mine as an access point only and have multiple devices plugged into the Ethernet ports on the Orbi. Everything else is stock (no advanced features are enabled).  I didn't manually upgrade to 2.1.1.16. As soon as my Orbi auto-updated to the new firmware, I had the random reboots.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 278 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Was having no problems with the Router + Sat combo. Seems the Nest cams are more stable under 2.1.1.16.  

Did the unthinkable and router a 2nd sat today. Had issues adding it... Once settled, would not identify correctly where things were connected. .... Redownloaded 2.1.1.16 to redo the satellites just in case things were corrupted initially. 

Magically, Administration/Attached Devices now works, although might still be a bit fishy. Devices don't seem to stay with the satellite with they're connected to - generally shows more the main Router as connection.

Will monitor stability. Nest Cams seems very stable. Earlier versions of Orbi firmware determined by Nest as incompatible with their cams. Maybe this one is better.

Message 279 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@robertcdh wrote:

Orbirick, are you using your Orbi as a router and access point or just an access point? Do you have any advanced features enabled? Do you have devices plugged into the Ethernet ports on the Orbi or your satellite?

I use mine as an access point only and have multiple devices plugged into the Ethernet ports on the Orbi. Everything else is stock (no advanced features are enabled).  I didn't manually upgrade to 2.1.1.16. As soon as my Orbi auto-updated to the new firmware, I had the random reboots.

I replaced my old router (RT-AC56U) and AP (RT-N66U) with the Orbi system. I have cat 5e and cat 6 cables run to the satellites. The router is on one side of the house where the internet (fiber to the house) enters to the modem. I have a cable from the modem to the wan port of the RBR50. Then I have a cable from the RBR50 to an 8 port Gb switch (office switch).

From the office switch, I have cables running to my PC and printer, and then 2 cables mentioned above. One goes to a satellite near the center of the house from which I have a cable going to a 4k TV and another cable going to a Chromecast Ultra.

The other cable from the office switch goes to another Gb switch on the other side of the house from which I have cables running to a 1080p TV, Amazon Fire TV, PS3 and PS4 gaming systems, and the other satellite.

I've done very little customization thus far: just opened up the DCHP pool to: 150-254 so I have plenty of IP addresses available. 

Under Setup:

-Internet Setup is stock.

-Wireless setup: changed the SSID name to Orbi (how original!), 2.4 GHz channel manually set to channel 1 (did my own site survey using Wifi Analyzer), 5 GHz channel auto set to 48, WPA2-PSK (AES) is checked, and my security password is entered.

-Guest network has not been enabled, all settings stock.

-WAN setup is stock

-LAN setup modified as above.

-QoS setup left alone.

-Telnet is not (yet) enabled.

Under Security:

-No parental controls are utilized.

-Everything is stock.

Under Advanced Setup:

Wireless settings: the only changes are to enable Implicit Beamforming,  MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming. WMM is also enabled if it was off in the stock settings. I should probably disable daisy chain topology as with my wired satellite setup, I don't think DC is useful. Although it probably doesn't hurt anything either by leaving it alone.

-Router is in router mode.

-No static routes assigned yet, but that is something I eventually plan to get around to doing (outside the DHCP pool) for:

main PC, printer, both satellites, and probably a number of mobile clients. No reason to do so, except that I can. 😉

-UPnP is disabled. 

Everything else is stock.

Message 280 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

While looking at my connections to answer a question above, I decided to pull the cable running from the RBR50 to my PC, and run the cable from the office Gb switch to the PC. Somehow in the process, I managed to dislodge the patch cable running from the RBR50 to the Gb switch which obviously killed my interenet.

No big deal, I simply replugged the patch cable back into the switch, and for good measure, decided that 7 days up time was good enough and rebooted the router.

Before I rebooted the router, I noticed a slight change in the Show statistics page. Earlier looks at this page showed LAN 1 and LAN3 up, but LAN2 down. After the cable mishap, I noticed LAN1 and LA2 were down. The reboot didn't change anything.

What exactly does LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3 indicate? Is that the wireless backhaul LAN?

For good measure, I hit resync on the router, then hit the resync buttons on both satellites within 2 minutes. The top lights appeared to cycle normally and are now back off.

What does this tell me?

Message 281 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Here's the stats screen from 3 days ago showing LAN1 up.

Message 282 of 438
rawmill
Star

I believe that LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3 are the ethernet ports on the router.  

Message 283 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@rawmill wrote:

I believe that LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3 are the ethernet ports on the router.  

Well that would be too easy! And you must be right as port 3 is the only port I am currently using with a patch cable from the router to the office switch.

Message 284 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Wired satellites - Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16

Update from testing here. Two satellites both WIRED through switch to router. Entire mesh is 2.1.1.16, but I manually downloaded the 2.1.1.16 satellite file from Netgear and re-installed over the existing file. (Figured earlier update might have gotten corrupted). 

TESTING FROM EARLIER - saw a couple devices identifying to which satellite or router they were connected, but now 30 mins later,  all 45 devices only show "Orbi Router" as their connection point under "attached devices".

For the devices connected DIRECTLY TO THE ROUTER, they show 2.4 or 5 and a wireless icon under "connection type". This is good.

All other devices, however, are showing Orbi Router as connection POINT but "wired" as connection TYPE. I have no idea to which satellite they're connected, thus can't determine the optimal placing of satellites for fixed devices (e.g. Chromecast connected to TV). 

NEST CAMS: so far, so good. Under 2.1.1.16, no frequent disconnect like I used to go.

ROUTER: does not reboot but it's only been working about 12 hours.

Message 285 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Wired satellites - Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16

The devices not showing to which satellite they are connected is a known issue and the forum moderators have stated that Netgear is working on a fix for next firmware release. 2.1.1.16 is relatively stable, but I did run into an issue after running about a week on it where some devices could not connect to internet through Wifi, even though they are connect to Wifi just fine and able to access LAN. The only thing that seemed to fix this was rebooting the router. I hope that this was just a one time occurance, or is because of some memory leak that will be fixed with next firmware and does not occur more than once a week.

Message 286 of 438

Re: Wired satellites - Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16

Haha, since the FW update, my satellite thinks it's my Android Phone that I used to initially set things up (see attachment).

So, um, yeah, it's a satellite, not a phoneSo, um, yeah, it's a satellite, not a phone

Mind you, I've done factory reset of both the router and the satellite since then and only set up with the web interface, yet some routing table or similar still has data embedded that tells the router/satellite that the RBS50 satellite is my LG V20 Phone in terms of name and graphic, but it identifies the product type correctly.  I manually changed the name back to RBS50 before taking the screenshot.

What a half-baked POS effort from an otherwise great networking gear company...so disappointed in Netgear.

Yes, I'm having 4-6 internet drops a day from my RBR50 router under all FW patches.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 287 of 438
scyu6058
Tutor

If flashing back to old firmware, how can you prevent the router and its statillites from automatic updates during overnight time ?

Message 288 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

You can try and disable it per the instructions in the thread below (post #105).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 289 of 438
sfsdfd
Star

I've been on 2.1.1.16 for about four days now, and I'm *definitely* rolling back to 2.0.0.74 at the first opportunity.

I spent an entire day trying to reconnect my devices to the network after changing my password so that it doesn't include a dollar-sign (which is still extremely asinine). Here's what I've experienced:

* Serious problems with adding devices to the network. Sometimes the requests just timed out. Sometimes the devices connected, but could not get an address via DHCP. Sometimes - often - the devices connected, but then got kicked off, either immediately or some time later.

* As everyone else has reported, all of my devices ONLY connect to the base unit. They will not connect to the satellties. Devices at the far end of my house that used to be easily accessible are now barely reachable.

* Conencted devices are sssslllllooowww. Seriously, it feels like an 802.11b network now. Browsing the internet with my phone is painful: every page takes an additional 5-10 seconds to load.

* A set of music players can still view the library that a server is providing, but cannot stream music through it - they display "error: the connection was reset" messages whenever I try. No problems streaming media through these devices with previous Orbi firmware.

* A smart thermostat can connect to the network, but cannot retrieve a necessary key from the provider, so I can no longer access it over the internet. It is about 20 feet from the base station and very nearly line-of-sight, so connectivity is not an issue. Could be a problem with the manufacturer, but since it's coincidental with all of these other problems, I'm blaming the Orbi for now.

This is all just atrocious. The Velop is looking better by the day.

Message 290 of 438
wase4711
Luminary

I just swapped out this problematic system for an Amplifi mesh wifi, and not a single issue or drop out in the last 2 days..

Orbi is a beta product, IMO, and unless you want to deal with endless drop outs, disconnects, incorrect names of whats connected to your network, and everything else that is posted all over about this product, you should return it if you can and try something else..

I have other Netgear stuff that works well, and have used their products for years, but the Orbi system is junk, and nothing but problems...it may work for a while, but problems seem to be guaranteed down the road, so dont wait until your return period is over, act now...

Message 291 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

If my Orbi system becomes problematical down the road, I’m not sure what I’d replace it with. Perhaps reinstall my old router and put in 2 or 3 UAP-AC-Lite APs. But that is speculative since I’ve had excellent service from my Orbi in the time I’ve had the system setup.

Message 292 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

I’ve used a 3 Google Wifi mesh unit with great and easy results. Just got orbi 3 unit yesterday and no issues yet, but won’t hesitate to return to Google Wifi. All my systems are wired with Ethernet so backhaul differences are less of an issue. 

If only orbi would fix the orbilogin.net console, things would be better. No such problems with google wifi. 

Message 293 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@orbirick wrote:

If my Orbi system becomes problematical down the road, I’m not sure what I’d replace it with. Perhaps reinstall my old router and put in 2 or 3 UAP-AC-Lite APs. But that is speculative since I’ve had excellent service from my Orbi in the time I’ve had the system setup.

If it were me, I'd go with the eero's. You can see head-to-head reviews of the various mesh options over at smallnetbuilder.com, and the eeros do very well. The Orbi is on the top of the ratings, of course.

Message 294 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

We're going to be moving and I think I'm going back to Ubiquiti and some APs. We've had the Orbi almost six months now and it is the least reliable router/system I've seen. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 295 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

@orbirick wrote:

If it were me, I'd go with the eero's. You can see head-to-head reviews of the various mesh options over at smallnetbuilder.com, and the eeros do very well. The Orbi is on the top of the ratings, of course.

Why? I would like to utilize my ethernet cabling which I don’t think I can with eero, can l?

Message 296 of 438

The problem with reviews is that few, if any, test the units long enough to uncover the hells that Orbi users are encountering. Two hour head-to-head comparisons don't tell the deeper story...
Message 297 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Fair enough. Tonight, removed Orbi + 2 sats and returned to Google Wifi + 2 sats. Reason:  all were wired, thus performance was good from the getgo. Don't get as much benefit from Orbi because everything is wired. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 298 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

True that. I have 45+ devices connected at any given time (13 LIFX lights, 5 Google Home etc) and short testing isn't going to uncover deeper problems that build over time. 

Message 299 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@orbirick wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@orbirick wrote:

Why? I would like to utilize my ethernet cabling which I don’t think I can with eero, can l?

Yes, you can use wired ethernet backhaul with the eeros:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207548436-Can-I-connect-my-eeros-with-Ethernet-

Message 300 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7