Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

JMU1998
Luminary

@masonworld everyone scenario, environment, needs are unique, there is no exact % just have to adjust and tweak for what works best for you.  if you live in apartment and everyone is setting radio to 100% there will be massive interference so cut radio strength same for close townhouses etc... Keep you  network wifi to the areas you need coverage not at max to reach 3 houses down the street or couple of floors each direction in apartments. 

Message 326 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

First time doing the telnet thing so I downloaded PuTTY for my Win 10 PC. According to the instructions here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

I should be seeing a different auto_upgrade flag. Instead of a '1', I see a '0', the one it should be changed to, per the instructions.

The auto_check_for_upgrade=1 shows the same as the instructions, so I'll change that. Other than that 1 change, is there anything else that needs to be done to stop the auto upgrades that are pushed out?

Edit: now that I think about it, it appears the auto upgrade feature is now disabled by default; the system only checks for an upgrade, but won't automatically perform the upgrade. 

If that's true, then I'm going to leave the settings alone as I would like to be informed of an upgrade, but only do the upgrade when I choose to do so. Do I understand this correctly?

Edit: this is for one of the satellites. I'll check the router itself and post separately.

Orbi telnet nvram show 2018.01.03.png

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 327 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Following the instructions from the above linked thread, I easily brought up the router config page.. which looked a lot more like the instructions! I made changes to only 2 of the command lines. The first one (orbi_auto_upgrade=x) already had a number greater than 1, so I left it alone instead of changing it to zero.

So now I expect to be notified of an upgrade, but only do a manual upgrade at my leisure instead of having the update done for me.

RBR50 telnet infoRBR50 telnet info

Message 328 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

@orbirick do u see an option in that list to disable the 2.4GHz radio?

Message 329 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

I'd be happy to look if I knew what to look for.
Message 330 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

I have virtually zero experience here, but I suspect you would have to look in a different section (such as the one below).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 331 of 438
masonworld
Apprentice

My Orbi WiFi down again -- no idea why (I mean I don't know what the root cause is).  No Oreo devices here, etc.  Last reboot lasted a couple of days.  I am still on v2.1.1.16.  For those of you that downgraded, what are you running and how is your stability?

Message 332 of 438
godspeed
Apprentice

I had constant reboots on 2.0 and 2.1, not getting more than 12 hours at best between reboots. I downgraded to 1.11.0.20, and am at day 11 of perfect wifi stability. I run orbis in AP mode, with asus router.
Message 333 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

Day 6 of stable v2.1.1.16 - no reboots.   When you update to v2.1.1.16 - do the factory reset:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

After this - I have been stable.

My Sat/RBS50 shows no connections - but I thought that was a UI bug in this release.

Jeff S.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 334 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

I am now 14 days without reboots and good speed throughout the house 35 devices. Two iPads and two iPhones that wander around with good speed . UI bug leads to no devices being shown on my two sats on of which is daisy chained. AP mode with a Fios Router

Message 335 of 438
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Hi jmschnur923
Did you also do a factory reset after the upgrade ?
TIA
Message 336 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

Started with .074. Manual to. 076. Then manual to 16.

no factory resets, I did reboot router and resynced sats on .16.

Message 337 of 438
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Cheers,
I think I rushed mine by doing an auto from 74 to 16.
Have had dropouts so went back to 74.
Think I will try your method as I would like to add an Ethernet run on one satellite.
Thanks again.
Message 338 of 438
mumbles76
Star

This firmware is total junk. Both of my satellites no longer connect. WTF.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 339 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

@jmschnur923 is your satellite hardwired using Ethernet backhaul?  If so does it show on the main unit as attached? My satellite does not show as attached unit.

Message 340 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@mumbles76 wrote:

This firmware is total junk. Both of my satellites no longer connect. WTF.

How do you know the satellites no longer connect? No wifi in their vicinity? Or no attached devices being reported (known issue)?

Message 341 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@JMU1998 wrote:

@jmschnur923 is your satellite hardwired using Ethernet backhaul?  If so does it show on the main unit as attached? My satellite does not show as attached unit.

My Orbi system shows the connected satellites connection type is wired (correct, I have ethernet cable running to them from the office switch). 

Under connected devices (21 of them), all show connected to the Orbi router, none to the satellites. Only my Android phone shows connected as 5G. Everything else shows the connection type as wired.. including my iPad and multiple Google Home devices.

Regardless of that, all my wireless clients have great signal strength throughout the house and the system has been up for over 3 days since I last manually rebooted it.

Message 342 of 438
jmschnur923
Luminary

My sats are connected via 5g. Signal is good.

Message 343 of 438
lpmorgan1
Aspirant

When my system upgraded to 2.1.1.16, my android phone lost its ability to connect to the network. Only when I set my Secuirty Options to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]  was I able to get my phone back on the network.

I would very much like to go back to the more secure approach requiring WPA2-PSK [AES] only.  Since I had been working in that mode for a couple of months, I can only assume 2.1.1.16 introduced an issue.

Any ideas on what I can do, or an acknowledgement that Netgear is aware of the issue and working on it? Since I am new to netgear I would like to learn how I can report this issue to Netgear directly.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 344 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

That's very strange. My Android is running Oreo 8.0 and my router security is set to aes only. All our mobile clients from Android to iOS have no issues connecting.
Message 345 of 438
lpmorgan1
Aspirant

It really seamed strange to me also. I am on Android 7.0 with no chance to upgrade.

The other Android phones in the house (one older, one newer) had no issues either.

In looking at my phone, I cannot find a way to change any connection security settings.

Message 346 of 438
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We currently have a new beta firmware that has fixes for issues that are in the 2.1.1.16 firmware you can find the links here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/m-p/1476960#M19962

DarrenM

Message 347 of 438
lpmorgan1
Aspirant

Reading the notes may have answered part of my issue. I do have a special character in my connection password. While I am still suprised the other three android phones had no problem -- and all the desktops computers, laptops and tablets had no problem -- I wiill guess that fine details of the issue would explain if I could see it in detail.

I will wait for the production fix.

Message 348 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

If special characters could be causing problems, what about the size of the key? I'm using 16 characters in mine.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 349 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

New problem today. One of our Dell laptops could connect, get an IP address (DHCP), but was not allowed internet access. Same machine could connect to the internet through other sources. Rebooting the router fixed the issue. 

Message 350 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7