Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

masonworld
Apprentice

Was it a valid address? I get fake ones.
Message 351 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

Yes, it was the same address it assigned after the reboot. It's possible there was a conflict somewhere I guess. 

Message 352 of 438
parostberg
Tutor

@DarrenM - I can confirm that the beta firmware did NOT solve the reboot issue 😞

Installed the firmware last night, turned on the wifi on my Oneplus 5 (android 😎 and immediately when I picked the Oneplus 5 this morning the router rebooted 😞

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 353 of 438
Remford
Initiate

Forgive what may be a silly question, but how does one check backhaul status between Orbi units?

Thanks.
Message 354 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@parostberg wrote:

@DarrenM - I can confirm that the beta firmware did NOT solve the reboot issue 😞

Installed the firmware last night, turned on the wifi on my Oneplus 5 (android 😎 and immediately when I picked the Oneplus 5 this morning the router rebooted 😞

That is so weird becuase I do not see any reboots, even with my OP3 running OOS 5.0.1 (Android 8).

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 355 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

4+ days since I last rebooted. Everything stable, no issues other than the satellite/device reporting issue which the new beta apparently resolves. But I'm hesitant to try the beta since everything else is working so well!

I want to take some time to play with my setup when I have a few minutes. I'd like to unplug the ethernet cable from one or both satellites and test the wireless backhaul. If/when I do that, should the wireless backhaul immediately pickup the connection? Or will I need to powercycle the satellite and/or router?

And vice versa when I reconnect the wired connection? Do I need to do anything to force the wired/wireless connection if I switch back and forth?

Message 356 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Everything should happen automatically. Does die mine. 

Message 357 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Thanks. Any idea how I can measure the difference between wired and wireless backhaul?
Message 358 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

Go to the Orbi Administration web page/Advanced/connected devices

Message 359 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@KenEsq wrote:

Go to the Orbi Administration web page/Advanced/connected devices

Do I misunderstand? How does that page help me measure the difference between wired and wireless backhaul?

Message 360 of 438
scott7911
Aspirant

@masonworld wrote:

My Orbi WiFi down again -- no idea why (I mean I don't know what the root cause is).  No Oreo devices here, etc.  Last reboot lasted a couple of days.  I am still on v2.1.1.16.  For those of you that downgraded, what are you running and how is your stability?

I moved back to V2.0.0.74 and it's been stable for 24 hours so far.

I have to say Netgear seems to be a big mess, why did they release such a flawed upgrade and their offer of free support to help with the problem is a joke. I was on the phone with them yesterday and after 2 hours and endless transfers and holds and repeating my info to each person they really weren't any help. By the way when they get your number to call back in case of a disconnect, they DONT call back. Happened 2 times.

Message 361 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

The reply wasn't meant for you. It was meant for the person that asked how to check the status of the backhaul.
To answer your question...I guess I would try some internal ping tests/tracerts and see if there's any difference. 

Message 362 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

Just out of curiosity, how many characters do you have in your WiFi key/password? Do you use any special characters?
Message 363 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

14 all lower case no special chars, nums or caps. 
I've also tried putting things like my phone on static IPs. While that stops the "waiting for IP" issue...the router still reboots regularly.

Message 364 of 438
scott7911
Aspirant

@robertcdh wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many characters do you have in your WiFi key/password? Do you use any special characters?

My password is 9 characters with numbers and one special character

Message 365 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Oops. Sorry.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 366 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

Does anyone see anything on the QOS setup page other than the Speed Test? The Help leads me to believe you can toggle Dynamic QOS off/on, but there's no option to do so there...actually, there's nothing other than the speed test period.

Message 367 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

I just noticed something odd. I cranked up Wifi Analyzer and was checking my signal outdoors and happened to notice the channels. Take a look at my settings and then see what Wifi Analyzer shows. The channels I set are not being used. Or they don't appear to be. I'm sitting about 5 ft from the RBR50 when I took the Wifi Analyzer screen shots.

5 GHz  radio should be on channel 485 GHz radio should be on channel 482.4 GHz radio should be on channel 12.4 GHz radio should be on channel 1Channel settings in the RBR50Channel settings in the RBR50

Message 368 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Following up to the above post about the band discrepancy, I cranked up Inssider on a laptop and did not see band assignment issues. The assigned bands showed up properly. I cannot reconcile the difference between WiFi analyzer on my android and Inssider on a laptop.

Message 369 of 438
cranium2k
Tutor

To measure bandwidth between router and satellite. Note: your measurements will be limited by the bandwidth of the laptop which is maxed out at 1Gbps of its Ethernet port.

Download iperf (https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php) on each laptop/desktop.

Attach laptop A to a LAN port of router and run “iperf -s” which is the server piece of iperf.

Attach laptop B to a LAN port on the satellite and run “iperf -c ip-address-of-laptop-A”

See documentation of iperf for its usage
Message 370 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@cranium2k wrote:
To measure bandwidth between router and satellite. Note: your measurements will be limited by the bandwidth of the laptop which is maxed out at 1Gbps of its Ethernet port.

Download iperf (https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php) on each laptop/desktop.

Attach laptop A to a LAN port of router and run “iperf -s” which is the server piece of iperf.

Attach laptop B to a LAN port on the satellite and run “iperf -c ip-address-of-laptop-A”

See documentation of iperf for its usage

Thanks for the iperf info. I'd come across that earlier but it appears it will take more than a casual look to get it set up and running. And out of 4 laptops in the house, I think only one can do 5 GHz. Except that I do have a Linksys A3000 dual band adapter I can use on one of the old laptops to give me dual band on 2 laptops.

This will have to wait for another day when I have time to delve into iperf and figure out how to use it. Or can I use it between my wired desktop and a wireless laptop? Does only one connection need to be wireless?

Message 371 of 438
st_shaw
Master

@orbirick wrote:

Following up to the above post about the band discrepancy, I cranked up Inssider on a laptop and did not see band assignment issues. The assigned bands showed up properly. I cannot reconcile the difference between WiFi analyzer on my android and Inssider on a laptop.

Your Orbi is using a 40 MHz width on 2.4 GHz. You set it to Channel 1 and it uses 1 - 5, which extends just to the edge of channel 7.

Your Orbi is using an 80 MHz width on 5 GHz.  No matter what channel you set in the GUI, Orbi will always use channels 36-48.

These channels are what's shown in the plot you posted, so everything is working properly, but the way Orbi uses channels is confusing compared to the choices in the GUI.

Message 372 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@orbirick wrote:

Your Orbi is using a 40 MHz width on 2.4 GHz. You set it to Channel 1 and it uses 1 - 5, which extends just to the edge of channel 7.

Your Orbi is using an 80 MHz width on 5 GHz.  No matter what channel you set in the GUI, Orbi will always use channels 36-48.

These channels are what's shown in the plot you posted, so everything is working properly, but the way Orbi uses channels is confusing compared to the choices in the GUI.

Thank you for your reply. What I found confusing was apparent peaks on channel 3 and channel 42 instead of the channels I programmed. What I found confusing is that while my Wifi Analyzer app showed the channel info like that, Inssider on a laptop did NOT show those same off channel peaks. Inssider showed everything as I would expect.

I moved the 2.4 GHz channels around some after trying channels 1, 6 and 11 with Inssider and settled on channel 6 for the low band. I left the hi band alone at channel 48. And those were represented properly on Inssider. I cannot understand the multiple peaks off channel on wifi Analyzer.

Message 373 of 438
st_shaw
Master

@orbirick Yes, it is confusing.  Channel 3 is the center of the 40 MHz channel in the 2.4 GHz band that utilizes 20 MHz channels 1+5, so it's sometimes labeled channel 3 or 1+5.

Similarly, channel 42 is the center of the 80 MHz channel in the 5 GHz band that uses channels 36-48.

As far as I can tell, you can select channels 36, 40, 44, or 48, in the GUI and Orbi will still use the same 80 MHz channel allocation that takes up al of 26-48.  That means you really have no control over channel usage in 5 GHz.

This chart illustrates the concept.

https://static.squarespace.com/static/54860cc3e4b020d690f237ba/548f5703e4b00e8ec160e2fb/548f5708e4b0...

Message 374 of 438
cranium2k
Tutor

Iperf measure bandwidth between 2 end points regardless of how they’re connected.
Wireless connections of clients maybe fluctuated and can impact accuracy.
Message 375 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7