Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

orbirick
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@orbirick Yes, it is confusing.  Channel 3 is the center of the 40 MHz channel in the 2.4 GHz band that utilizes 20 MHz channels 1+5, so it's sometimes labeled channel 3 or 1+5.

Similarly, channel 42 is the center of the 80 MHz channel in the 5 GHz band that uses channels 36-48.

As far as I can tell, you can select channels 36, 40, 44, or 48, in the GUI and Orbi will still use the same 80 MHz channel allocation that takes up al of 26-48.  That means you really have no control over channel usage in 5 GHz.

This chart illustrates the concept.

https://static.squarespace.com/static/54860cc3e4b020d690f237ba/548f5703e4b00e8ec160e2fb/548f5708e4b0...

Well that is very interesting. I was not aware of how that worked. But why would WiFi analyzer show one thing and Inssider something different?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 376 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@cranium2k wrote:
Iperf measure bandwidth between 2 end points regardless of how they’re connected.
Wireless connections of clients maybe fluctuated and can impact accuracy.

I see what you mean. Testing with both server and client connected to a LAN port at either end both before and after disconnecting the Ethernet cable to the satellite will show any speed difference. Gotcha.

Message 377 of 438

1. Asus does make a mesh product, Lyra. It sucks. Lousy throughput... 
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 378 of 438
pcd5502
Guide

I have Orbi BRR50 systems (with RBS50 satellites) in two residential locations and they have worked well (never flawlessly but "well") until Netgear released the v2 firmware updates. That's when the frequent reboots started. The situation went from just annoying to unworkable when Netgear released v2.1.1.16 and you know that was just before everyone left of the Holidays (and there was no support to be found between Christmas and the New Year. Wasn't that fun for all of us?

Wrote to Netgear just after Christmas for help, since both systems have serious rebooting problems and backhaul issues, including loss of connections to satellites that require resets of the router and setellites to factory settings to remedy (no other changes for those who have posited there may be user errors in play). Of course Netgear support has been silent even a week after the Holidays. Which part of "customer support" don't they understand?

Finally replaced one system with a Linksys Velop system a week ago and guess what? It's both rock stable and faster!

Couldn't afford to switch the other system (yet) and gauged the risk of ugrading to the next Orbi firmware beta, based on others' comments, as far too high.  Of course, I was unable to find the download site easily on Netgear's site so it didn't matter. It's OK though, since Netgear likely saved me hours of additional wasted time.

Here' is some possible help for those who have read this far. See this article on how to set up Ethernet Backhaul (https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...). I was able to reposition my satellites and run cables to set this up and now (so far) the disconneting satellite problem is now solved. We'll see about the reboots and will report back if it's not solved.

Could there be another Velop system in location 2? You already know my threshold is very low to switch, since that system is now on sale at Best Buy and Netgear support is nowhere to be found. Will let you know in a future post if I make that switch, as well.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 379 of 438
amrobx
Guide

I finally gave up. Velop was nice, but even wired, speed wasn’t really what was was hoping for, plus it eventually started showing low wired backhaul speed for whatever reason. I ended up with 2x Nighthawk R7800s as APs and my Mikrotik hEX router I’ve had for a while. Coverage is a bit better, but signal and throughput are much better on 5GHz. 2.4GHz is marginally better. Only downside is lack of AP/band steering, but much fewer disconnects without it. It is an expensive alternative, but I wanted a bit more future proofing and all these other issues kinda scared me away from mesh products for now. Pretty happy with my decision ATM. Considered Eero, but thatwas more than the current solution. This setup works even better than the Ubiquiti AP Pros that I tried in terms of speed and coverage. Far less managability, but I deal with that enough at work as it is.

Message 380 of 438
wifiman
Aspirant

I Just purchased Orbi RBK53 from Costco last week and was reluctant to open the pack as there is a lot of problem with the new firmware. I was just wondering if buying Asus RT-AC3100/RT-AC88U with RT-AC68U or RT-AC68U as AP with AiMesh would be a better option. I can hard wire them as I have Cat6 on every floor and every room. 

Message 381 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

In the last hour I just had my network and internet access die. Hoping it was my ISP, I called them and they had no outages reported. So I ran an ethernet cable from the cable modem to my PC and bingo, I was back online, so I knew it wasn't the ISP but instead was the Orbi.

So I uplugged the power to the RBR50 for about 30 seconds, then plugged it back in, reconnected my network/internet cables and waited until the white light went out. No change, still no internet access.

I began to dig out my old wifi system and was preparing to put it back in place when I heard my PC chime from the next room indicting I recieved a message alert. Sure enough, the Orbi was back online. But it took at least 10-15 minutes for it to come back up.

Now I'm perplexed as to whether to keep it and keep trying or just pack it up and take it back to Costco.

Decisions, decisions.

Message 382 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@wifiman wrote:

I Just purchased Orbi RBK53 from Costco last week and was reluctant to open the pack as there is a lot of problem with the new firmware. I was just wondering if buying Asus RT-AC3100/RT-AC88U with RT-AC68U or RT-AC68U as AP with AiMesh would be a better option. I can hard wire them as I have Cat6 on every floor and every room. 

Lol. You're even better setup than I am. I have ethernet wiring on the first floor, and only to a couple of rooms so I can place APs there. No wiring to my 2nd floor. Even so, my RBK53 system provided excellent coverage and speed, even to the 2nd floor.

If you're using wired backhaul, then like me, you paid for a system that you'll only use half of. You won't even use the dedicated 5 GHz wireless backhaul.

That being said... read my post just above about losing my network for about an hour today. My confidence in the system was already on slippery ground due to all the reported issues, but mine had been flawless for 2 solid weeks so I was hoping I was well inside the bell curve. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Message 383 of 438
sfsdfd
Star

Reporting back about four days after rolling back to v2.0.0.74.

Stability and connectivity remain generally good, and worlds better than 2.1.1.16. Devices are connecting to the nearest router and not disconnecting randomly. It's maybe a little more volatile than before, but that could be my imagination.

I am having two significant new problems:

* I've got a second-generation Nest thermostat that can connect to the network just fine, but cannot retrieve an "entry key" for coupling with a Nest account. While working through the issue with a Nest technician, we discovered some information buried in the Nest network settings: the ping is 11,000 milliseconds. Yeah, as in: 11 seconds. It's literally 20 feet away and within line-of-sight of one Orbi, and maybe 15 feet away from a satellite in the other direction. I tried resetting the thermostat, reconnecting to the network... no dice.

* I've got an older Brother WiFI printer that just cannot connect to the network. I've reset it and reconfigured it repeatedly.

Both devices have been in use for years without issue. They've even outlasted some WiFi equipment (an old Linksys router, then Apple AirPorts, now the Orbi). No idea why they're having such trouble now, or whether it's the fault of the Orbi or the devices.

Still contemplating a network change to Velop or something else, especially as Netgear continues to fail to acknowledge the severity and urgency of this problem.

Message 384 of 438
lpmorgan1
Aspirant

I am noticing also that my wireless printer now does not stay connected to the network. This printer worked flawlessly before. I do have a special character in my connection password.

Also I appear to have computers dropping from the internet. This could conceivably be dropping from the network, or the whole network disconnecting from cable modem. I will research further. I may try going back to a known stable version of the system for my RKR40 router and both RKS40 satellites.

Suggestions appreciated.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 385 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

I have about 45 devices on my network.  Sat/RBS50 isn't showing any connections but I believe thats a known UI issue.   I hardwired my backhaul via 1Gbps switch.  Also - since I factory reset all settings after installing v2.1.1.16 - I am stable... no reboots in 10 days and counting.   Previous to this my RBK50 system was rebooting like nuts.

Message 386 of 438
pcd5502
Guide

Follow-up to my message 379. Just after I posted, one of the two satellites lost connection (even though it was part of  Ethernet backhaul). I reset the entire system to factory settings (Router and both satellites) and set up (for what seemed like the 50th time - maybe that's why the model number has a "50" in it) as a new system.

GREAT NEWS! Since then, the router and satellites have remained connected, as have the 38 end-device connections.

Look forward to the next firmware update to (hopefully) fix this mess and at least some acknowlegement from Netgear that they have caused great productivity loss (and frankly, pain) to their loyal customers (I have been one for over a decade).

My plan is to switch back to 5 GHz backhaul for location 2,  if and when this is fixed. The Velop system will remain in location 1, since it will soon be too late to return it during the weeks it will take Netgear to fix this, and I have no option for a hard-wired solution there.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 387 of 438
parostberg
Tutor

I might have found something..
After continues rebooting of the Orbi router, I got an update for my OnePlus 5 with Android 8 (containing among others wifi improvements), the router has not rebooted for 3 days!
Message 388 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

I'm not sure what is happening with Orbi/Android but I switched back from 2.1.1.6 to the .74 firmware and it eliminated the reboots.  Then, I switched to the latest beta firmware to test it a second time.  I had some free time over the weekend and I wanted to see if there was anything I could try to make it stable.  The reboots were still there and I decided to ride this whole firmware drama back on .74.  The problem is that now Orbi is rebooting on .74 when I unlock my phone.

I can't understand why it's only a small number of users experiencing these reboots.  What makes some users' Orbi so much more stable?

Message 389 of 438
Blcklab
Apprentice

I believe this same thing is happening to me although I only see it in the morning. My phone wakes. I come downstairs and the satellite is reconnecting. However uptime doesn't change.

And it also doesn't seem to occur under normal circumstances like when I get home or just use the WiFi during the day. But when my device has been pretty dormant all night it bumps the satellite in the morning.

Using .74
Message 390 of 438
parostberg
Tutor

I donät think its

@robertcdh wrote:

I'm not sure what is happening with Orbi/Android but I switched back from 2.1.1.6 to the .74 firmware and it eliminated the reboots.  Then, I switched to the latest beta firmware to test it a second time.  I had some free time over the weekend and I wanted to see if there was anything I could try to make it stable.  The reboots were still there and I decided to ride this whole firmware drama back on .74.  The problem is that now Orbi is rebooting on .74 when I unlock my phone.

I can't understand why it's only a small number of users experiencing these reboots.  What makes some users' Orbi so much more stable?

I don't think it's a small number of users that are affected.

I can't understand why Netgear doesnät say something public about this rather big issue??

Message 391 of 438

I installed this system Thursday night and immediately upgraded to 2.1.1.16 using Cat6A wired backhaul with a Cisco 48 port switch. I have 26 HD live cameras around the property streaming full time, 7 teenagers (streaming full time 😁)and 3 file servers averaging between 180 and 200 connections. I have seen no reboots and nothing but extreme consistent speed. It sounds like those seeing reboots have a hardware or topology issue(s)
Message 392 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

My Orbi system was working great up until mid-December.  I know it's not a topology issue as I'm using Orbi only as an access point.  I have a separate Asus router.

I was told by support that the reboots were a known issue but I have not seen a fix for it or any further information from support.  I don't mind having the hardware replaced if it is a hardware issue.

Message 393 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

Couldn't be that you're using a wired backhaul? A fairly atypical setup for the Orbi.

Message 394 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

In my case, I have all the default settings except for the SSID and wifi key/password, obviously. And I set the Orbi to AP mode and selected the quietest 2.4 channel.  The router and satellite are using the default wireless backhaul.

I really have one of the most vanilla setups out there and I'm really surprised I have this reboot issue. Other than adding a few Google homes at Christmas, there have been no new devices on my network.  This is why I suspect it is related to a recent update: either to Orbi or my devices.

Message 395 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

KenEsq wrote:

Couldn't be that you're using a wired backhaul? A fairly atypical setup for the Orbi.

Doutbful since I have read posts from those using a wired backhaul who are also experiencing the reboot issue.

Message 396 of 438
shadowdoc
Tutor

I couldn't take the family complaints and poor coverage anymore. Bit the bullet and purchased a Linksys Velop system. 10 min later I had fast WiFi around my entire house...no issues. I have 300Mb service through Spectrum and I am getting 290-300 Mb WiFi everywhere I test my iPhone. Kids XBoxes are working great. Never going back...

Message 397 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

image.pngimage.pngDay 13 on v2.1.1.16 and stable - no reboots.    Around Xmas my Orbi was automatically upgraded to 2.1.1.6.   And It was reboot hell.   Dropped back to 2.0.0.74 still had reboots.     Went forward to 2.1.1.6 and hardwired my backhaul to the Sat.   Also had issues - then did a factory reset of all custom settings and entered in a select few I needed.   Day 13 of no reboots.   Can't see any devices connected to my sat but I think thats a UI issue according to forums.   Typically 40 devices on Network.

Message 398 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

@KenEsq I am using Hardwired Ethernet backhaul as well in AP mode and random reboots occur with no explanation I have factory reset, nvram clear, fresh Firmware install on both a dozen times no dice issue remains, looks like to me a Hardware related issue but no recall from Netgear yet announced.

Message 399 of 438
shadowdoc
Tutor

I requested an RMA# from Netgear but no reply. The customer service person I talked to barely spoke English. Velop is simple and I get basic parental controls built in rather than an additional expense with Circle
Message 400 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7