Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

orbirick
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

This is sorta kinda related to v2.1.1.16: the only time my satellites have been without wired backhaul was when I first set them up and updated the firmware. 

#1: if I were to revert to a firmware prior to v2.1.1.12, I assume I’d lose the ability to use wired backhaul and the system would revert to the wireless backhaul.

which leads to my next question:

#2: with wired backhaul enabled and utilized, can the dedicated 5 GHz radios be used for anything else? Or is that simply an unused resource that can’t be tapped for any other purpose?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 226 of 438
amrobx
Guide

I echo this question, as I had s separate thread open regarding this vey topic. If the 1733 Mbps band isn’t open to clients, which I believe someone said that it is not, are there plans to do so in the near future?
Message 227 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

While the backhaul band cannot be used by clients directly it is used by clients to route all the Wireless and wired traffic thereby not taking any of client bands for back end use in normal orbi setup.

If you wire your orbi entirely and don't have a need for wireless satellites maybe you chose the wrong device for your needs.

Mixing in and allowing clients to use the backhaul bands for client use may seem more efficient but it goes against what this device was designed to do well, and can serve no purpose except to make the firmware even less stable and drain programming resources on that. Maybe netgear can look to doing that in firmware version 17.0.0.1 - just saying this would be a dumb thing for them to work on right now.

Message 228 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@aaz wrote:

While the backhaul band cannot be used by clients directly it is used by clients to route all the Wireless and wired traffic thereby not taking any of client bands for back end use in normal orbi setup.

If you wire your orbi entirely and don't have a need for wireless satellites maybe you chose the wrong device for your needs.

Mixing in and allowing clients to use the backhaul bands for client use may seem more efficient but it goes against what this device was designed to do well, and can serve no purpose except to make the firmware even less stable and drain programming resources on that. Maybe netgear can look to doing that in firmware version 17.0.0.1 - just saying this would be a dumb thing for them to work on right now.

Yes, I may have overspent since I have Ethernet run between the router and both access points on the first floor. Perhaps my impulse buy was not appropriate for my 2 story 2400 sq ft home. I wanted something that was better than my old set up of a router and single AP at opposite sides of the first floor. That did not work well with roaming clients, and upstairs had weaker coverage than I would have liked.

i didn’t run the 2nd downstairs ethernet cable (to the center of the downstairs) until I bought the Orbi. Perhaps all I needed was that center AP that was lacking before. But rather than have a mashup of different HW, I thought 3 APs from the same mfg would be preferable. I could still use my old AC router and just 3 APs. But would that save me much money? I strongly considered the UniFi UAP-AC-LITES, but perhaps mistakenly thought that a mesh system would outperform them. Was I wrong in that assumption?

Message 229 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

I rolled-back to 2.0.0.74 and my Orbi has not rebooted like before.  Now, it only seems to reboot when I wake my Moto Z Play after a while of inactivity.  My phone is still running Nougat but it has the November security patch.  There are no Oreo devices in my house.

I'm going to try and see if any other devices triggers a reboot.

Has anyone else noticed something similar?  I wonder if it has anything to do with the KRACK WiFi fixes applied to Android and Orbi.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 230 of 438
cbeck
Aspirant

Not to be too much of a newbie, but how do you tell if the router and/or sat's have rebooted, besides actually seeing an outage?  The Log in the admin section?

Message 231 of 438
tagteam
Virtuoso

http://www.orbilogin.com/debug.htm

Note that you can also see your uptime by logging in to orbilogin.com (or .net), clicking the ADVANCED tab and then clicking the SHOW STATISTICS button under INTERNET PORT.

Message 232 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@cbeck wrote:

Not to be too much of a newbie, but how do you tell if the router and/or sat's have rebooted, besides actually seeing an outage?  The Log in the admin section?

I hate this forum software, lost another posting when I edited it. I'm tired of re-typing my postings, I guess that I should save them in an editor before posting and then I'd have an easy way of re-posting without having to spend my time re-writing the same posting I just made.

Sucks, man *smile*. Live and learn, I guess.

Message 233 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

Here's a look at my stats after a few days of operations. I belive the reason LAN1 shows a day short of the others is because I had to unplug it when I installed a Chromecast Ultra on a nearby TV and needed to redo the power setup.

The system hasn't given me a reason to return it. Yet. 😉

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HI4ye86.png[/img]

Message 234 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

OTOH, I can't think of a reason LAN1 would be nearly 24 hours short of the others in operation either. I only had it unplugged momentarily while I rerouted the power bricks and cords.

Message 235 of 438
amrobx
Guide

I thought the same too, but after reading the data on performance, even as an AP, these outperform the UAP-AC-Pro Ubiquiti access points. APs were my original solution, but from all the data I've seen from SNB, the Orbi and even Velop function as better APs. The UAP-AC-HD outperforms them all, but at over $300 apiece. I agree that there are bigger fish to fry for many folks here, but everyone's needs are different.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33084-ubiquiti-ac-pro-and-ac-lite-access-p...

Message 236 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@amrobx wrote:

I thought the same too, but after reading the data on performance, even as an AP, these outperform the UAP-AC-Pro Ubiquiti access points. APs were my original solution, but from all the data I've seen from SNB, the Orbi and even Velop function as better APs. The UAP-AC-HD outperforms them all, but at over $300 apiece. I agree that there are bigger fish to fry for many folks here, but everyone's needs are different.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33084-ubiquiti-ac-pro-and-ac-lite-access-p...

That’s a very good point. I guess I circumvented half the functionality of the Orbi system by hardwiring the satellites. So I’m feeling like I paid a lot for something I’m only half using. OTOH, I’ve got great signal strength thought the house and of course, hardwiring was my own decision anyway. 

In addition, I haven’t seen the need to split the bands into separate networks either to separate my 5 GHz devices from the 2.4 GHz devices. I’m admittedly a little skittish with all the reported issues, but so far, I really can’t complain except for some misreported data which is a small nit in the scheme of things.

Message 237 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

v2.1.1.16 woes,
Long story - but the auto update upgraded my RBR50/RBS50 around Xmas. Since then I have a very unreliable network. Router/Sat reboots randomly.
Lots of people scremaing in my house. Ive had my ORBI since June... and was very reliable.

I basically went back to the older firmware 2.0.0.74 and updated NVRAM via telnet for the 3 auto update params. But my router still had random reboots.
I then went back to v2.1.1.16 and updated NVRAM params to auto update. I also noticed with v2.1.1.16 that my Sat/RBS50 accepts connections in the beginning after a reboot but when I look an hour later it (Sat/RBS50) has no connections - they all pile up on the router RBR50.

I even tried to hardware the Sat/RBS50 since I had a Gb switch nearby.   Same thing - the Sat will accept a bunch of connections in the beginning after a boot (10 or 15 connections) but hours later they are gone... piled up on the RBR50.

This morning the router rebooted and it went back to factory defaults... all my customizations were gone. I was going to load the backup file but also wondered if it would be better to start fresh and just update the essential settings that I use.

My router customs are:
- Custom SID name
- Guest Network
- 10.0.0.1 LAN addresses and for DHCP
- uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence for wireless 2.4GHz.
- I have some reserved IP addresses but didn't define them yet.

Whats unique about my network:
- About 40-45 devices on network
- 100mbps down/10up - Spectrum broadband
- 1 to 2TB data usage per month.
- 2 teenage kids that are Xbox One heavy users.
- 1 spare Xbox One is a game server.
- It's a streaming world nowadays.
- Critical for my job as I remote access/VPN into work allot.  In IT for 30 years.

Unsure what support is available as it appears that I only have 90 days of real support from June when it was purchased.... after that you have to pay. Very disappointed in this new firmware.  Wondering if I need to look for a different brand of router.  It "ORBI" was very reliable for first 7 months.

Message 238 of 438
rhester72
Virtuoso

The random reboots - don't happen to have any Pixel (or late-model Android with the November security patch) devices in the house, do you?

If so, try taking them off your home wifi for a day and see if things settle down (on 2.0 - 2.1 reboots randomly for entirely different reasons).

Message 239 of 438
sfsdfd
Star

OMFG. Netgear, you screwed up this update massively.

I just returned from an extended business trip. Halfway through, I started noticing messages in my daily Orbi log reading:

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address [some MAC address]

At first it was just a couple of messages from one MAC address. I figured that someone was trying to login to my WiFi network - and failing, since I also have a separate network monitor that diligently watches the network for unknown devices, and it wasn't finding any.

The messages turned into a flood. My log for today has LITERALLY HUNDREDS of these messages. And upon further investigation - I found that all of the MAC addresses are for *my own devices*. Something had happened that started arbitrarily excluding devices from my WiFi network. And I'm not just talking about iPads: I mean devices like SMOKE DETECTORS and SECURITY CAMERAS.

I just got home, and immediately noticed that my phone would not connect to the WiFi network - bad password. So here I am, at 1:30 in the morning after a business trip, trying to figure out WTF is happening with my WiFi network. And now I have the answer:

The latest Orbi firmware altered my WiFi password.

When I left home, my WiFi password was a combination of numbers, symbols, and one specific dictionary password. I now see that it is ONLY THE DICTIONARY WORD. All of the numbers and symbols have been stripped out.

I have tried updating it to the intended password. No dice: the Orbi firmware will no longer accept numbers or symbols.

I cannot describe how absurdly bad this is. First, the update kicked mission-critical security devices off of my network. Second, it spontaneously changed my WiFi password from a secure password to a password THAT COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN BRUTE-FORCED.

At the moment, I'm inclined to rip the network cables out of the back of the Orbi, smash all three of them with a hammer, and go buy new WiFi hardware from a company that has the faintest clue about security. Please explain to me why I shouldn't do that.

Message 240 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Did another factor reset, nvram clear and fresh install of v2.1.1.16 for both base and satellite and manually entered settings and fresh reboot and about 2 hrs later all devices show connected to the base and none of the satellite!! 

Message 241 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not sure what happened with your network - but I am using numbers and letters in my password without issue. No symbols because I have other security on my network devices so I don't worry too much about  LAN intrusions going undetected.

I have also heard that the $ symbol was rejected from firmware 2.1.1.12 but I thought .16 fixed that, and I tested it with my guest on 2.1.1.16 and that works. So not really sure what issue you are having but it's unlikely that the cause of it is the firmware stripping out all your numbers and symbols from your password. Something else has to be at play here.

Message 242 of 438
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

Did another factor reset, nvram clear and fresh install of v2.1.1.16 for both base and satellite and manually entered settings and fresh reboot and about 2 hrs later all devices show connected to the base and none of the satellite!! 

That is a known issue in this and the previous firmware - the devices will show as connected to the router even when they are connecting through the satellite. They are working on putting out a fix for that soon.

Message 243 of 438
sfsdfd
Star

I've spent six hours today reconfiguring my Orbi with a new password, and trying - *trying* - to reconnect my devices.

It's not going well.

Sometimes, the Orbi rejects the correct password.

Sometimes, the Orbi refuses to add the device to the network. It doesn't succeed or fail - the request just times out. 

Sometimes, the Orbi adds the device to the network - and then kicks it off. My iPhone now requires me to reenter the new password every single time I connect to the WiFi network. And since I'm repeatedly connecting and disconnecting (in order to add devices like Amazon Echos that get setup via an ad-hoc connection, and then just copy over the password after reconnecting to WiFi), I'm entering the password over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... on the same device.

I've had it. I have never seen a company destroy its own product with a firmware update as thoroughly as this - and then *not respond* to any of its customers. I'm going to search for products by all of Netgear's competitors, and then mail Netgear's **bleep**ty $500 networking gear back to it.

Message 244 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

In response to "That is a known issue in this and the previous firmware - the devices will show as connected to the router even when they are connecting through the satellite. They are working on putting out a fix for that soon."

Why after a reboot - do I see 10 or 15 devices connected to Sat/RBS50.   Then 2 hours later there are no devices connected to Sat.   I would expect to see no devices connected all of the time on the Sat - if it was a UI issue in the firmware.

Would love to see an offiical ORBI blog updated by Netgear - as to current issues as opposed to reading forum messages which are usually user gripes and unsure what is truely identified as a real bug known to engineering.

Message 245 of 438
rawmill
Star

My WiFi connections continue to drop, then all of the clients have to reconnect.  Any device that is hardwired still has network and Internet connectivity (Smart TV, NVidia Shield, PS4). 

I have the Guest Network enabled, as well as 2.4 and 5 enabled.  Wireless devices will reconnect but this is starting to get on my nerves.   Problems started with the latest firmware.

Message 246 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone else experiencing issue where Satellite is NOT showing in the "attached devices" list on the Main unit?  I have factory reset both, nvram clear both, fresh v2.1.1.16 install on both, multiple reboots on both.  Orbi is in AP mode and wired satellite . ..very frustrating! 

Message 247 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

Yes - same issue - RBS50 Sat isn't showing any connections.   I've tried hardwired backhaul via 1Gbps switch and Wireless.   But I saw some comments that said it was a UI issue.   That devices were connected to Sat but UI isn't showing them.   Also - since I factory reset all settings after installing v2.1.1.16 - I appear to be stable... no reboots in 1 day 15 hours and counting.  Still connected via hardwired backhaul.

Message 248 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Updated firmware to latest. All devinces connected to satellite show as WIRED to the main router, so I can’t tell if theyre connecting at 2.4 or 5.  With former firmware, this was working fine.

Also Genie network map often shows incomplete list of devices. Normally have 45-50 devices connected but Genie shows just 3-4 at times. 

Message 249 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

If there is any good side to latest update, my NEST CAMS seems to be stable and don’t disconnect. This is only a few hours in but we’ll see. On the Nest website, Orbi is indicated as incompatible. 

Message 250 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7