Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi for family and Apple Airport Extreme for guest?

ymc226
Aspirant

Orbi for family and Apple Airport Extreme for guest?

I'm going to install my Orbit with 2 satellites tonight.  I have Verizon Fios for internet/TV/phone and am using their Actiontec cable modem/router with the wireless turned off with an Apple Airport Extreme used as an access point.  The Airport Extreme is plugged into one of the LAN ports on the Fios router.  

Can I leave the Air Port wifi up as a "guest" network and set up the new Orbi network for the family by plugging the Orbi router into one of the 4 LAN ports on the Fios router?  Will that affect the wifi speed and performance of the new Orbi network?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

@ymc226 wrote:

Thanks for your response.  

Is there a way to specify the channels on the Apple and Orbit routers?  I'm not tech saavy but remember some screen on the Airport preferences in Mac OSX that did state something about channels.   (Still at work so haven't opened the Orbi yet).  

When you state how much separation, do you mean physical distance between the routers?  My understanding is that there is no provision on the Orbi to create a separate "guest" network, thus my inquiry.

hi

yes both the extreme and orbi can be set to separate channels , its usually found in the wifi section of each device

with the latest firmware orbi now has a  guest wifi setup

with regard to separation im was referring to do you want the guest wifi to not see your home network eg isolated as that would be tricky the way you wanted to do it , but the guest wifi in the orbi will allow you to isolate the guest devices

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies

hi

as long as you make sure you use different channels and of course ssid names you should be ok , how much separation do you want between the "guest" network and the orbi as if you have the extreme in ap mode its going to see the wan and lan interface of the orbi

why would you not just use the guest wifi in the orbi and remove the extreme or are you wanting to put IoT devices on the guest network ?

Message 2 of 7
ymc226
Aspirant

Is there a way to specify the channels on the Apple and Orbit routers?  I'm not tech saavy but remember some screen on the Airport preferences in Mac OSX that did state something about channels.   (Still at work so haven't opened the Orbi yet).  

When you state how much separation, do you mean physical distance between the routers?  My understanding is that there is no provision on the Orbi to create a separate "guest" network, thus my inquiry.

Message 3 of 7

@ymc226 wrote:

hi

yes both the extreme and orbi can be set to separate channels , its usually found in the wifi section of each device

with the latest firmware orbi now has a  guest wifi setup

with regard to separation im was referring to do you want the guest wifi to not see your home network eg isolated as that would be tricky the way you wanted to do it , but the guest wifi in the orbi will allow you to isolate the guest devices

Message 4 of 7
ymc226
Aspirant

Thanks,  I didn't realize that Orbi now has Guest capability.  I'll take down my Airport Extreme once I can confirm the Orbi works throughout the house.

Message 5 of 7
ymc226
Aspirant

Now reading on the forum that Guest mode cannot be used if the Orbi router is in AP mode, I may keep the Airport Extreme running (having both attached via LAN to the Fios router) and have my guests use the Guest wifi on the Airport.   

Will this compromise security or function of the Orbi?

Message 6 of 7

why dont you just run the orbi in router  behind the fios router and just dmz the orbi ip address in the fios riuter

dont know much about fios but some here have connected the orbi directly to the incomming connection and ditched the fios router i think as well

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7