Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi for gaming, does PC or console connect to satellite or router?

freebo99
Tutor

Orbi for gaming, does PC or console connect to satellite or router?

Hi

if your on a console or gaming pc and they are nearer the satellite not the router and connect to the satellite does this slow your ping, lag or slow your response time?

thx

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@TheEther wrote:

2ms is 0.002 seconds or 1/2000 seconds.  It's not likely to be noticeable, unless perhaps you are a pro-gamer.  Another way of looking at it is that 2ms is the difference between 83 fps and 100 fps.

1 ms is one one-thousandth of a second.  So, actually 2 ms is 2/1000 seconds, not 1/2000 seconds. 1/2000 would be 0.0005 or a half-millisecond.

The border of human perception is about 13 ms, so you won't likely be able to tell the difference between 2 ms.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

In my experience, the satellite backhaul adds roughly 2-3ms of latency.

Rodney

Message 2 of 9
freebo99
Tutor

hi

do you get the option to specify in the orbi router setting if you want to connect to the route or the satellite because if i get orbi the satellite is more for the tv and cable tv / satellite tv box and the router itself should be within good range for the pc and gaming console?

thx

Message 3 of 9
gfrey
Apprentice

If you are worried about 2ms of latency then you should really hard wire your PC or console to the router.  I have my kids XBox hard-wired and I play some Warcraft on my PC via Wifi satellite.  I have never noticed any latency.  I have 1Gbps AT&T fiber and I get around 150Mbps from each of my satellites via Wifi.  I love the Orbi system!

Message 4 of 9
freebo99
Tutor

hi

am i right in thinking 1ms is 10th of a second? 100th if second, 1000th?

if  2ms is 2000th of a second then i guess that it isnt noticeable?

thx

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

2ms is 0.002 seconds or 1/2000 seconds.  It's not likely to be noticeable, unless perhaps you are a pro-gamer.  Another way of looking at it is that 2ms is the difference between 83 fps and 100 fps.

Message 6 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@TheEther wrote:

1 ms is one one-thousandth of a second.  So, actually 2 ms is 2/1000 seconds, not 1/2000 seconds. 1/2000 would be 0.0005 or a half-millisecond.

The border of human perception is about 13 ms, so you won't likely be able to tell the difference between 2 ms.

Message 7 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Oops.  Fat-fingered that one.  Thanks for the correction.

Message 8 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@TheEther wrote:

Oops.  Fat-fingered that one.  Thanks for the correction.

I trust you can do simple arithmetic.  These days it seems like they don't teach math the same way they used to though. 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7