Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi frequently loses Internet connection

lbeck02
Guide

Orbi frequently loses Internet connection

I bought the RBK53S-100NAS system a few weeks ago to replace a Netgear WNDR3700/Amped Wireless1000 system to increase my wireless range.  Also, my previous system would lose Internet OCCASIONALLY - maybe every few months.  I could always get Internet back by resetting my modem and router.  But since my system was maybe 6 years old, I decided to upgrade to the Orbi.

I really like the app and the Internet info provided by the Orbi, but I now lose Internet connection MUCH more frequently.  Maybe several times a day and almost always when I move my android smart phone or tablet (Samsung S2) out of my network area.  I'm always able to regain connectivity by rebooting the devices, but this is really annoying.  I have noticed Orbi satellite 1 backhaul status is "poor" but I don't know what that means or how to correct it.

Practically all of my devices are wired to the base or one of the 2 sattellites, but my phone , laptop, and tablet are of course wireless.

Overall my experience with the Netgear system is more satisfying and I'll return the Orbi unless I can get more stable Internet connectivity.   But after resetting passwords on alll my Orbi-connected devices and because I like the Orbi user interface, I'm hoping to save my Orbi installation.

What can I do to help you to help me?

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi frequently loses Internet connection

Just to clarify, it is the Orbi (and everything connected to it) that loses Internet?

Or, is it the device that moved that loses internet?

Message 2 of 12
lbeck02
Guide

No.  The Orbi stays connected.

It's only my wireless connections that lose connections (I think).  I'm still setting things up but my desktop always stays connected and it's on the primary (not satellite) orbi.  My main problem is with wireless connections to my phone, notebook, and laptop.  I'm also having problems with a wired AV receiver and just this evening with my smart TV (Samsung 65") but these problems may be due to botched setup.  My TV is back but still working on the receiver.

Message 3 of 12
Akgq
Initiate

I have the same issue, I’m on the latest update. All connected devices via wire stay online. However wireless devices drop every 5-10 mins. When I checked the status. Wired connection time is up for 10 hours while wireless connection both 5g and 2.4 won’t stay up for 5 mins
Message 4 of 12

@Akgq wrote:
I have the same issue, I’m on the latest update.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

Message 5 of 12
Akgq
Initiate

Yes I did a factory reset yesterday, still the same issue
Message 6 of 12
kmorimt
Initiate

Having the same issue. Phone and other mainly 5g devices drop and report failure to configure IP. Everything will be fine again for 10 to 15 minutes and then stop working. Everything was working just fine for weeks after the last firmware update. I did try giving it a static Channel this am and will see what happens. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 12
SBG66
Aspirant

Same here. Had Orbi for only 2 weeks and getting intermitent drop outs. Everything is still connected including the router to the internet. Searched and searched and cannot find any solutions. Getting worried I've bought a dud! Any advice welcome.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@SBG66 wrote:

Same here. Had Orbi for only 2 weeks and getting intermitent drop outs. Everything is still connected including the router to the internet. Searched and searched and cannot find any solutions. Getting worried I've bought a dud! Any advice welcome.

Message 10 of 12
SBG66
Aspirant

Ok.

Vigin superhub 3 - Modem only mode.

Orbi in Router mode

Have just disabled Daisy. 

House is around 2500 sq ft.  1930s semi with thick brick walls.

Will give your other suggestions a go. 

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know. 

Some building materials will impact wifi signals. Smiley Frustrated

@SBG66 wrote:

Ok.

Vigin superhub 3 - Modem only mode.

Orbi in Router mode

Have just disabled Daisy. 

House is around 2500 sq ft.  1930s semi with thick brick walls.

Will give your other suggestions a go. 

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7