Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi hidden unsecure on 2.4GHz/5GHz

ProphetSix
Aspirant

Orbi hidden unsecure on 2.4GHz/5GHz

Thought I would check here before reporting a possible security issue. I'm using inSSIDer and Acrylic to check on the performance of my new Orbi system, when I noticed something very strange. First, I can see the hidden backhaul and it shows open, as in no security. Now maybe it's a glitch with inSSIDer, because I checked with Acrylic and it doesn't see the backhaul.  Second and even stranger, there is a second hidden network on the 2.4 band that is being transmitted from the router. What makes this really strange is I have the 2.4Ghz radio turned off. I'm only running the 5Ghz band but the router is still transmitting a 2.4Ghz signal that is also open/unsecured. Anyone have an idea as what is going on here? Thanks in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
cue003
Apprentice

Re: Orbi hidden unsecure on 2.4GHz/5GHz

Interesting. I will be curious to see the answers/responses to what you see.
Message 2 of 4
thedak
Apprentice

I looked with Acrylic Professional and I see two [hidden] SSIDs with MAC addresses that match my system (cept for the last hex pair).  one on 2.4 and one on 5 GHz.   Both are listed as WPA2 and both have no WPS.  So they both rate a high security rating in Acrylic.

Message 3 of 4
ProphetSix
Aspirant

I don't have Acrylic Pro, but I see two hidden, 2.4 and 5. It shows that they both have WPA2 up, but also have WPS (a no no) enabled. Now if I fire up inSSIDer...no WPA...wide open...and the last six characters of the MAC address on the 5.0 backhaul and this strange 2.4 transmission. Not liking any of this. Screams of holes in the security of Orbi. And I still don't understand the 2.4 transmission, I have the radio off! Just for giggles I also turned of the 5.0 radio to see if the backhaul stayed up...it didn't. By the way, yes, I'm on the lastest firmware. I've rebooted and factory reset.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7