Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - how to change connected devices to 5G

bigdad930
Aspirant

Orbi - how to change connected devices to 5G

Just bought a 3 pack Orbi ac2200 RBR20 today. I have two questions I hope the community can help:

1) After I connected my satellite located in basement, my Samsung TV was on 5G and it runs fast on streaming TV.  Then later, I try to move the basement satellite closer to TV and it turns out the speed was lower than before and I found out TV was running on 2.4G. Is there a way I can pick my TV connect to 5G instead of 2.4G? This way my TV streaming will go better?

2) From the orbilogin.net connected satellites page, I noticed that one of my satellite is conncted to orbi router and my other satellite is connected to other satellite?  Is this supposed to be? I was under the impression both satellites should connect to router?  

Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi - how to change connected devices to 5G

1) The device (your Samung TV) is the one who decides which band to use based on the relative levels of both bands. Orbi has band steering but that does not guarantee that the device will always move to the 5 GHz band. One simple way to improve this is to lower the 2.4 GHz transmission power. You can find this in the web GUI (orbilogin.com) under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings >>

2) This is the Daisy Chain topology option which you seem to have it enabled. If you have Daisy Chain enabled, then your satellites will have the option to either connect to the router or to connect via each other. You can enable or disable Daisy Chain under 

>> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings >>

Message 2 of 4
bigdad930
Aspirant

Thank you ... after I disable Daisy chain topology my basement Samsung TV is now in 5G with much faster speed for streaming.

I have another question.  Right now if I look at all my connected devices they are all in Orbi router under "Connected Orbi" column.  Why they are not connected to each satellite if they are close by to each node?  Am I not fully utilizing each node or satellite function after I disable Daisy chain topology?

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@bigdad930 wrote:

....... Am I not fully utilizing each node or satellite function after I disable Daisy chain topology?

This has nothing to do with Daisy Chain. Devices will connect first time to the node that becomes available first, usually the router becomes up first after a system reboot. "Smart" devices will later roam to a closer node if available, but there are "sticky devices" that just stick to the first node they connected to and never change that.

For those devices, just power recycle the device so it will connect to the closer node (router or satellite).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7