Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi iOS app

wairds
Tutor

Orbi iOS app

I purchased and installed the Orbi RBR50 this week in the hope it would improve Wi-Fi coverage in my home. I believe it is doing that function, but intermittently. More of that later.

My initial issue is with the iOS app. From the home screen the app states RBR50 with “Connected Locally” underneath and a green dot beside it. I tap on it and am taken to a second screen which states RBR50 with “Connect Locally” stated underneath. This is preceded by a dialogue stating “You are not connected to the internet. Check your internet connection and try again”. This is baffling as I am clearly connected to the internet.

Any advice greatly appreciated. By the way I am in no way an IT expert.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
wairds
Tutor

I have found out what the problem is. It relates to VPN.

If I disable VPN the connected screen states “Connected Locally”. Although I still receive the dialogue stating I am not connected to the internet.

Furthermore I have to disable VPN if I want to engage Remote Management.

is this issue with VPN a known bug?

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@wairds wrote:

I purchased and installed the Orbi RBR50 this week in the hope it would improve Wi-Fi coverage in my home. I believe it is doing that function, but intermittently. More of that later.

My initial issue is with the iOS app. From the home screen the app states RBR50 with “Connected Locally” underneath and a green dot beside it. I tap on it and am taken to a second screen which states RBR50 with “Connect Locally” stated underneath. This is preceded by a dialogue stating “You are not connected to the internet. Check your internet connection and try again”. This is baffling as I am clearly connected to the internet.

Any advice greatly appreciated. By the way I am in no way an IT expert.

Message 3 of 13
wairds
Tutor

Many thanks for responding. To answer your questions:

The current firmware is 2.3.1.48

The router is a BT Home Hub 6

The Orbi system is operating in router mode. However from what I have read in the forum I believe I should switch it to AP mode.

Regards

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@wairds wrote:

Many thanks for responding. To answer your questions:

The current firmware is 2.3.1.48

The router is a BT Home Hub 6

The Orbi system is operating in router mode. However from what I have read in the forum I believe I should switch it to AP mode.

Regards

Message 5 of 13
timch
Luminary

You do need to use the Orbi in AP mode if you are using the BT HH6. It is not possible to put the HH6 in modem only mode. 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Can use DMZ if that available on the ISP modem...Then one can use the Orbi in router mode.

Message 7 of 13
wairds
Tutor

Thanks for your responses.

I have put Orbi in AP mode and so far things seem to be stable.

Two things I have noticed is that Netgear is showing the backhaul status on the satellite as Poor and I have to disable VPN for the app to function.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I don't think the Orbi app works across VPN. 

Message 9 of 13
Dd852
Luminary

If you want to use the iOS app while using a vpn, you have to first enable remote management on the orbi (while using the web app) and then access “remotely” from the iOS app. = just as you would if you were actually across town or across the world instead of just virtually on a different network through the vpn

Message 10 of 13
Dd852
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I don't think the Orbi app works across VPN. 

If you want to use the iOS app while using a vpn, you have to first enable remote management on the orbi (while using the web app) and then access “remotely” from the iOS app. = just as you would if you were actually across town or across the world instead of just virtually on a different network through the vpn

Message 11 of 13
wairds
Tutor

The size of the house is circa 1800sq ft.

The router is situated on the first floor and the satellite on the ground floor. I would say it is about 40 feet between the two. The house is timber frame with no brick walls within the building. What I should also add is that the backhaul status is now showing Good. I don’t know what has changed but I am now happy with the setup which has been running trouble free (touch wood!) for 24 hours. Although I have yet to attach the second satellite.

May I thank all the respondents for taking the time to help me out. It is greatly appreciated.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking placement of system. Distance is key between the RBR and RBS. 

IF it seems to be working well, then save off a configuration backup to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@wairds wrote:

The size of the house is circa 1800sq ft.

The router is situated on the first floor and the satellite on the ground floor. I would say it is about 40 feet between the two. The house is timber frame with no brick walls within the building. What I should also add is that the backhaul status is now showing Good. I don’t know what has changed but I am now happy with the setup which has been running trouble free (touch wood!) for 24 hours. Although I have yet to attach the second satellite.

May I thank all the respondents for taking the time to help me out. It is greatly appreciated.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7