Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in AP Mode

rjk13230
Tutor

Orbi in AP Mode

I've been successfully running an Orbi WiFi mesh for about 18 months. I have an RBR50, RBS50, RBS20, and quite a few IOT devices. I decided to install a dedicated pfSense firewall to give me more capabilities. I configured my RBR50 as an Access Point and cabled it to the firewall appliance.  All the WiFi seems to be working and all status I can find show good.

The concern I have is that the RBR50 ring LED show solid magenta. The satellites are fine. I can get to every device and access the internet via my WiFi laptop.  Is solid magenta correct or is something else wrong?

Thanks, RJK

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi in AP Mode

Yes, that would be it. The top ring LED detects and responds to WAN port connections only in AP or Router mode. 

Glad you found it. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@rjk13230 wrote:

I think I found the answer, the Orbi must have the WAN port connected to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rjk13230 wrote:

The concern I have is that the RBR50 ring LED show solid magenta. The satellites are fine. I can get to every device and access the internet via my WiFi laptop.  Is solid magenta correct or is something else wrong?

The Orbi web site describes Ring color codes here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Solid magenta is not one of the possibilities. (Ha)

When you open the Orbi web interface that was used to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, does it show that the Orbi WAN side has an IP address?

Message 2 of 6
rjk13230
Tutor

Using RBR50 IP address from the firewall, I can access the RBR50 via my browser and get the Orbi GUI management tool with the Basic and Advanced tabs.

Home page Internet status shows “Good.” Attached devices shows two satellites and 23 IOT devices; all show connected.

In the Advanced tab, I can see the LAN IP address, but nothing listed for a WAN port.  Most of the sub-listings in the Advanced tab are grayed out as a result of selecting AP mode, including WAN Setup.  If there is a WAN address, I don’t see it.

Thanks for the link.  Good info, but as you say,  it doesn’t show a definition for a solid magenta ring.  My original RBR50 user doc says the solid magenta rink is when it can’t see the Internet.

Everything seems to be working, so not sure if the solid magenta ring is really indicative of a problem, or a byproduct of AP mode.

Thanks,  RJK

Message 3 of 6
rjk13230
Tutor

Still wondering if the solid magenta ring is really indicative of a problem, or simply what you get when you run the Orbi in AP mode.

Message 4 of 6
rjk13230
Tutor

I think I found the answer, the Orbi must have the WAN port connected to the router.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that would be it. The top ring LED detects and responds to WAN port connections only in AP or Router mode. 

Glad you found it. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@rjk13230 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7