Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi in AP mode, no longer able to access admin interface..

CoreyOLi
Aspirant

Orbi in AP mode, no longer able to access admin interface..

Well, I came here to post my issue and found I posted it a while ago, I still cannot get AP mode to work properly..  Here's the original post (I'm unable to reply on that post)

Good evening everyone...  Let me start by saying, I've been hammering away at this for a while now, and it's driving me nuts!!  I have an Orbi RBK50 with a single satelite, it's a great system...  However I have decided to use an Ubiquity EdgeRouter X as my main router and place the Orbi in AP mode...  I accessed the web interface just fine (192.168.1.1) first I disabled DHCP (this will be handled by the ER-X going forward) I went into LAN and changed the IP to 192.168.1.2 and then switched it to AP mode...  AP mode asked if I wanted static or DHCP I chose station and set IP to 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0, etc...  Now the really odd part...  Now I'm having lots of odd issues, I'll list them below:

1.) Devices connected via the Orbi only get internet access if the Orbi is connect via a LAN port, NOT the Internet Port on the Orbi.

2.) The Orbi does not respond on 192.168.1.2, or any other IP

3.) if I connect the Orbi using a LAN port everything connected to it works, however no connection shows up on the ER-X

4.) If I connect the Internet Port to the ER-X it shows in the DHCP table as 192.168.1.50 (not .2 as I specified) and it doesn't respond to that IP for the gui interface (also unless I ALSO have a LAN Port connected, there is no internet going to devices connected via the Orbi)

5.) Since I cannot access the orbi via the local web interace, I attempted to use the app on my phone connected to the Orbi via wifi...  However, I cannot connected locally I have to do it via "Remote Connection" and that will ONLY Work if the Orbi is connected via it's internet port

6.) In the Orbi app under "Router Settings" the Router Information states IP address of 10.0.0.1 (no idea what that is, or where it came from) internet port has IP of 192.168.1.50 with all correct settings via DHCP (even though I set static)

I'm at a loss here..  I can't get into the Orbi in anything but the apps "Remote Connection' mode, so I can't access any advanced features...  It's acting as if it failed halfway through converting to AP and is stuck in some sort of a limbo...  And since I can't access it, I can't even perform a hard reset and start over...

I'm at a loss here, I've been at it for a bit, and this may sound a bit of an incoherent rant, but I'm really hoping someone has seen this before and can lend a hand?

Thanks,

-Corey

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router

Some further details...  I am able to see the Orbi in my DHCP, however that IP does not bring up the interface, also still if I go from the EdgeRouter to the Orbi using the Orbis "WAN" port (yellow) the Orbi does not communicate AT ALL.  One thing I did notice is the MAC Address showing is slightly different than the MAC address on the bottom of the router, not sure if that's a product of being in AP mode, or if there is something wrong with my device...
Anyway, it's not a matter of not knowing the IP of the device, I have it, it just simply is NOT working.  I've tried connecting via devices on the WiFi (verified connected to the RBR not the RBS) and I've tried devices connected directly to the Orbi via the built in switch, still no go...
Again, I think a big issue here is the fact that I cannot plug into the Orbis WAN port without it "going dark"

Any help would be grealy appreciated....
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address pool string your using on the ERX router? 

If your host routers IP address pool string is 192.168.1.1, then be sure if you use Static on the RBR when you set AP Mode, set the static IP address to 192.168.1.50. Apply the change. The RBR should reboot into AP mode then connect the WAN port of the RBR to the ERX router. You should be now able to access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.50 in a web browser. 

I recommend chaning the ERX routers pool size to something smaller so you can use static IP addressed devices outside the pool range since static IPs should not be used inside the default pool range. I use this same configuration for my RBR50.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 5
CoreyOLi
Aspirant

192.168.1.50 - .90

The problem is, I can't get into the device to make any changes at this point, I'm really trying to avoid another reset as wireless devices are working properly and I don't want to take the network down if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Here is what I do, Factory reset the RBR while disconnected from any internet service. No WAN connection. YOu can setup the RBR with out the WAN port. 

Once your back in and past the setup wizard. I setup the wifi SSID Name and PW. I disable Daisy Chain, Set 40Mhz only. Once all set here, go in and set AP mode. I set static IP address on my RBR, set gateway and DNS. Be sure gateway is the IP address of your host router. Once you have the Static configured, apply the setting. The RBR should reboot. After it's rebooted, connect it's WAN port to the host router. You should be able to access the RBRs web page at the Static IP address you set on it thru the host routers network or the switch you use. 

How mines connected and configured.

Message 4 of 5
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello.
This discussion makes my head hurt. If the Orbi is simply in AP mode to begin with, what purpose does static anything provide to the home network since the routing function is being handled upstream anyway?
And FWIW, my RBK50 is running in AP mode and I can access it just fine including admin function.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7