Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi in AP mode switching to new ISP

LA23
Aspirant

Orbi in AP mode switching to new ISP

I'm changing ISP. It's currently set up on AP mode. Do I need to reset ORBI to factory settings before connecting to the new device called Altice One Pack from Optimum? I was told it's a combination of modem/router/cable.

Thanks so much!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@LA23 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I was just assuming since my current ISP provider told me they can't turn off WiFi that Optimum will tell me the same thing.

Does anyone have Altice One and know if I can turn off WiFi? Thanks

It's not the end of the world if you can't turn off WiFi on Attice One box.  As long as it's up and running before Orbi, Orbi has the smart to choose none overlapping channels for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz automatically.  Unless you start noticing a problem with your wireless network, I wouldn't worry about it until then.  Just make sure that Attice SSID is different from Orbi SSID.

You can download a tool like NetSpot to monitor your network.  With NetSpot, you can check if both the Attice and Orbi are picking the same channel.  If yes, just reboot the Attice box.  If it still picks the same channel, then reboot the Orbi.  If that still doesn't work, then manually select a channel for each in Orbi Advanced Wireless Setting page.

If all else fails, come back here.  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

If Orbi is already in AP mode then it's enough to power cycle Orbi after connectign to the new ISP Router.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 9
LA23
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the quick response!

To confirm "power cycle" means:
- connect Orbi to new router
- power off. (wait 30 seconds?)
- power on
And then Orbi should recognize new router in AP mode with same SSID and password?
Message 3 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

One other thing that you may have to decide is whether to disable WiFi on Altice One box.

Message 4 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@LA23 wrote:
Thank you so much for the quick response!

To confirm "power cycle" means:
- connect Orbi to new router
- power off. (wait 30 seconds?)
- power on
And then Orbi should recognize new router in AP mode with same SSID and password?

Yes, with a slight tweak:

• power off (wait 30 seconds? yes)
  • connect Orbi to new router
  • power on

Yes.

Message 5 of 9
LA23
Aspirant

Thanks everyone! I was just assuming since my current ISP provider told me they can't turn off WiFi that Optimum will tell me the same thing.

Message 6 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@LA23 wrote:

It's not the end of the world if you can't turn off WiFi on Attice One box.  As long as it's up and running before Orbi, Orbi has the smart to choose none overlapping channels for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz automatically.  Unless you start noticing a problem with your wireless network, I wouldn't worry about it until then.  Just make sure that Attice SSID is different from Orbi SSID.

You can download a tool like NetSpot to monitor your network.  With NetSpot, you can check if both the Attice and Orbi are picking the same channel.  If yes, just reboot the Attice box.  If it still picks the same channel, then reboot the Orbi.  If that still doesn't work, then manually select a channel for each in Orbi Advanced Wireless Setting page.

If all else fails, come back here.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Here is an example of NetSpot:

NetSpot Orbi WiFi Analysis.png

Message 8 of 9
LA23
Aspirant