Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in AP mode with wired backhaul showing weird behavior

dopey1620
Star

Re: Orbi in AP mode with wired backhaul showing weird behavior

What the? I just posted a response to this thread and was going to reference it on another thread and my response is gone.  Did it get deleted somehow?

Message 26 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure...

Didn't see any posts from you. Unless your link was bad or something. Smiley Frustrated

@dopey1620 wrote:

What the? I just posted a response to this thread and was going to reference it on another thread and my response is gone.  Did it get deleted somehow?

Message 27 of 29
dopey1620
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not sure...

Didn't see any posts from you. Unless your link was bad or something. Smiley Frustrated

I definitely posted something.  I even edited it because I had typoes in it after it posted.  Oh well.

To answer your question I have a Zyxel GS1900-24 switch.  I actually did some more digging.  I did some tcp packet captures and it does look like the hub is intercepting DNS requests and then sending back entries for www.orbilogin.com.  If I connect the satellite directly into my switch and not into the hub, the DNS request makes it to my DNS server/router (pfsense) and it sends back the public DNS record for www.orbilogin.com.  If I have the wired backhaul connected directly into the orbi hub (or use the wireless connected satellite) the request doesn't even make it to my pfsense router/dns server.  So the orbi hub is definitely responsible for intercepting it.

I'm guessing when the satellite is configured in wired backhaul it's basically just acting as an access point and doesn't have the logic for intercepting the DNS request for www.orbilogin.com.  That actually makes sense.  In this mode, the satellite may not even definitively know the IP address of the hub.

It'd be nice if the orbi app just let you specify the IP address of the orbi hub.  But the solution of wiring the satellite directly into the hub works fine for me for now.

Message 28 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes thats a manged switch:

https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/support/DownloadLandingSR.shtml?c=us&l=en&kbid=M-01606&md=GS1900-24

Can you see if it has IGMP protocols enabled, if so, might try disabling this to see if he helps any. Been others mentionging that disabling IGMP on there switches helps with there orbi systems.

Might contact the Mfr to see if there any kind of configuration setting that would make the switch not direct packets for the orbi to see if this helps any. 

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7