Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in AP mode

Wilcoxj
Follower

Orbi in AP mode

We recently upgraded to a fibre connection from our ISP. I had the Orbi RBK50 with one satellite running prior to the upgrade. The new gateway setup isn't meeting our needs with respect to wifi coverage and I would like to setup the Orbi again. The fibre setup uses a modem with a separate router. 

I've read a number of the posts on this site which say I can run the Orbi as a router if I put the modem into bridge mode or turn off the radio on the router (I think that is right). I'd like to do either of those things but I don't think I can turn off the radios for the router as they are used for the TVs. I also understand that I can't use the Orbi as a repeater. 

if I put the Orbi in AP mode will it run in conjunction with the other wifi network in the house (using the same SSID) or am I out of luck? 

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi in AP mode

People can give more detailed advice if you identify the brand and model of modem & router that you have.

(Sort of guessing this is AT&T service, but "who knows"?)

The Orbi can certainly be set to the same SSID and password as the ISP WiFi system, but they will not "integrate".  If the Orbi is configured as an Access Point (AP), then the ISP router will assign all network addresses.  Devices will connect to whichever AP seems to offer the best service.  The two WiFi networks will, of course, be interfering with each other, but that may not be a serious problem.  For devices fixed in place this may be OK.

For devices that move, such as mobile phones, tablets, laptops, this could be "not good".  With a single mesh network (Orbi, Linksys, Google, whatever) when a device moves closer to a better AP, it usually switches and the switch is coordinated with the mesh system.  With two different WiFi networks having the same SSID and password, there will not be any coordination.  I have no idea what will happen.  My guess is that the phone (for example) will stubbornly stick with the original AP as the signal gets worse and worse until it finally drops.  Only then would it look around again.

Orbi has VLAN capability which is specifically designed to accomodate network TV service.  So, the ISP router may not be required.  If you provide some more details, some of the smart users may have solutions for you.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7