Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in Access Point Mode?

dmystic1
Apprentice

Orbi in Access Point Mode?

So I'm wondering anyone's experience with access point.  I couldn't resist pre-ordering an X10, because I want to use port aggregation with my nas, and want to test the range.  I don't have any ad devices yet, so thought if the range is not good I would put the Orbi in AP and use it and the satellite for wireless.  Anyone doing this?  How is it working?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Re: Orbi in Access Point Mode?

@dmystic1 wrote:

So I'm wondering anyone's experience with access point.  I couldn't resist pre-ordering an X10, because I want to use port aggregation with my nas, and want to test the range.  I don't have any ad devices yet, so thought if the range is not good I would put the Orbi in AP and use it and the satellite for wireless.  Anyone doing this?  How is it working?

hi im currently doing similar and have an asus rt-ac88u with the wifi turned off and using the orbi router in AP mode along with a sat and all works fine

Message 2 of 7
grafix21
Initiate

I have Fios and purchased the Orbi system to specifically use it in AP mode....setup was simple and the range is great...no dead zones or loss of bars. I was looking into Eero and Luma but waited for Orbi because of the range and functions it can provide. Hope this helps.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 7
Zookeeper70
Aspirant

Hello, 

I see you are using Orbi as access point behind your asus router. May I ask why you just didn't buy seperate AP's and went with the Orbi system? I'm confused why people are putting Orbi in AP mode if you are not using the actual functions of the device? I'm only asking becuase I too have a Netgear R7000 that I would like to use as my main router but not sure i want to spend the money for Orbi in AP mode when I can get just as good AP's or even better for much less.  Aany information on the Orbi system in AP mode is greatly appreciated. 

Zoo

Message 4 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

In my case (being unable to utilize Ethernet backhaul), there was no better solution as a pure AP, entirely because of Orbi's hella-wide-bandwidth dedicated wireless backhaul.  No mesh solution can touch it.  The only other contender is the soon-to-be-released Linksys Velop, which offers dynamic backhaul...could be technically interesting, but at the end of the day it usually comes down to the quality of the software driving the product (an area where unfortunately Netgear still has a good bit of work to do).

Rodney

Message 5 of 7
Dan_H
Apprentice

If you can't run Ethernet that is why you do it. Right now it's the best solution for those of us who can't.
Message 6 of 7
Chapzter
Tutor

I have a large 2 story house and needed strong wifi in the far corner of the house (game room) and garage. I bought the nighthawk ac2200 range extender and could only get 35mb max out of it (even with fast lane enabled). I decided to give Orbi a try and it now gets 170mb over wifi (same as hard wire direct to modem). I have it setup in AP mode with my nighthawk x6 (R8000). It's a dream come true. The dedicated link between the Orbi units don't allow any performance loss.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7