Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi in Malaysia

SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Orbi in Malaysia

We've just swapped our crappy ISP provided router for an Orbi system, but cannot get it to broadcast internet. It runs and we can connect to its wifi, but I think the ISP's here use a particular configuration that makes the Orbi redundant. Does anybody have any experince with Orbi in Malaysia?

For info, our ISP is TM and the package is Unifi Home

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 94
genobkk
Star

works fine in Thailand on fiber but I connect Orbi to ISP router turn off wifi and connect everything to the Orbi 

Message 2 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your response genobkk. This is the setup that we currently have with an Airport Time Capsule, and it works fine. But replacing the Time Capsule with the Orbi base station doesn't seem to work. I've done some digging and found a statement that 'replacement routers in Malaysia must support VLAN tagging' but I was hopiong that by running the Orbi in series with the existing router but disabling the wireless then I'd be able to get round it.

Message 3 of 94
thedellis
Guide

Actually, I just posted earlier today (Johor) and I cannot get the Orbi to connect to the internet at all. Tried everything on here but with no success. Hoping support can tell me I missed something, otherwise it's getting returned
Message 4 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in Johor too but had to buy the Orbi from Singapore. I assumed both countries would run the same firmware etc so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. But no luck yet...

Message 5 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I wish this were simpler....

So I've spent more time today trying to get my Orbi to work just as an AP. Steps as follows:

1. Reset to factory default settings by holding down reset button - ok

2. Access Orbi wireless network - ok

3. Enter http://orbilogin.com to try and configure settings - ok

4. Rerouted to Orbi setup wizard. This is not ok as the wizrd just goes around in circles telling me that there is no internet connection. I know this, because it isn't in AP mode yet so can anybody tell me how to access the Orbi settings and not the setup wizard? When I first set it up using my phone, that went to the settings page, but both my laptop and ipad go to the wizard. Please help...what am I doing wrong!?

Message 6 of 94
st_shaw
Master

@SDJ wrote:

...  can anybody tell me how to access the Orbi settings and not the setup wizard? When I first set it up using my phone, that went to the settings page, but both my laptop and ipad go to the wizard. Please help...what am I doing wrong!?

Try this...

1. Disconnect Orbi router from your existing router.

2. Factory reset Orbi router.  Do not connect Orbi to anything.

3. Turn OFF WiFi on your laptop.  Connect your laptop with an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on Orbi router. Your laptop should get an IP address from Orbi.

4. Navigate to http://192.168.1.1 (or http://10.0.0.1) and you should get the Orbi login screen.

5. Set Orbi to AP mode and save settings.

6. Wire Orbi to your router as required for AP mode operation. The Yellow Internet port on Orbi needs to be connected to a LAN port on your existing router.

After this your Orbi will have a different IP address, as determined by your router.  Determine the IP address of Orbi from your existing router.

Message 7 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response st-shaw. I am able to access the Orbi unit using an ethernet cable, but I still cannot get to the settings page, I can only access the wizard which is useless. This is what happens:

1. I disconnect Orbi from everything except power.

2. Hard reset Orbi.

3. Connect ethernet cable from laptop to LAN port on Orbi unit

4. Open internet explorer and head to http://192.168.1.1

5. Get redirected to http://192.168.1.1/BRS_Index.htm which is the setup wizard

6. Initial page opens and I'm told that Orbi needs to be configured for first use and that I must be connected tInternet with an ethernet cable

7. I agree to the terms of service and click next

8. It checks for an internet connection but obviously there isn't one, so it asks if I would like the installation assistant to help. There are three options: Yes, I want help, No, manually enter settings or No, use saved settings

9. If I click Yes, I want help, it goes into an endless loop telling me that there is no ethernet cable plugged in

10. If I click No, I will enter settings manually, I am warned that I need networking experience(!). I skip the satellite connection part and it asks me for passwords and security questions etc, tells me the confirmed network details and then asks for a firmware check. I try to skip it but it loops back to the same page, so I click update and because it has no internet connection, it drops into an error page.

11. If I click No, use saved settings, it asks to browse to a location where the file can be found

The way I see this; the wizard is absolutely useless, a never ending spiral of incomplete possibilities. My only option is to access the settings page, not the wizard, but when I try ot connect to the Orbi after a hard reset, using wired or wirelss connections, it directs me straight to the wizard. This wasn't happening two days ago so I'm at a loss as to what has happened.

So my question remains, is it possible to access the Orbi settings page.....not the setup wizard.....???

I'd love it if I was missing something obvious but having spent this long trying to get things working, I can't believe I am...!

Message 8 of 94
st_shaw
Master

Two suggestions:

1) You said "10. If I click No, I will enter settings manually, I am warned that I need networking experience(!). I skip the satellite connection part and it asks me for passwords and security questions etc, tells me the confirmed network details and then asks for a firmware check. I try to skip it but it loops back to the same page, so I click update and because it has no internet connection, it drops into an error page."

So, repeat everything, except first connect the Yellow Internet port on Orbi to a LAN port on your existing router.  Everything will be the same, except the Orbi will get an IP address from your router and will be able to do the firmware update, and hopefully will not error out.

2) Or you could try to navigate directly to http://192.168.1.1/index.htm This is the home page for an Orbi that's setup.  Or try to navigate to http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm

Message 9 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I think it's time to throw this thing in the bin!

If I reboot my laptop and hard reset the Orbi, it will allow me to access the basic and advanced settings, so on first start up I configure it as an AP. As soon as the new settings take effect, the connection between my laptop and the Orbi gets reset and I cannot, in any way, access the settings again. I get the error message 'unable to establish a connection to the server at xxx.xxx.x.x', regardless of whether I use orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net, 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. This is with an ethernet to LAN connection

The only thing that I think I've tried both ways, but am uncertain of the correct requirements, is that it asks if my ISP needs login details in the basic internet settings. I've been advised that Malaysian providers use PPPoE so I enter username and password in the two available boxes, change it to an AP, but it still won't connect to the internet.

You mentioned "So, repeat everything, except first connect the Yellow Internet port on Orbi to a LAN port on your existing router.  Everything will be the same, except the Orbi will get an IP address from your router and will be able to do the firmware update, and hopefully will not error out.", but without an internet connection, it stays in the same endless loop....

I'm no expert here, but I've seemingly tried all possible configurations and have probably hard reset the thing 50 times, but nothing seems to work.

Message 10 of 94
st_shaw
Master

@SDJ wrote:

I think it's time to throw this thing in the bin!

If I reboot my laptop and hard reset the Orbi, it will allow me to access the basic and advanced settings, so on first start up I configure it as an AP. As soon as the new settings take effect, the connection between my laptop and the Orbi gets reset and I cannot, in any way, access the settings again. I get the error message 'unable to establish a connection to the server at xxx.xxx.x.x', regardless of whether I use orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net, 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. This is with an ethernet to LAN connection

The only thing that I think I've tried both ways, but am uncertain of the correct requirements, is that it asks if my ISP needs login details in the basic internet settings. I've been advised that Malaysian providers use PPPoE so I enter username and password in the two available boxes, change it to an AP, but it still won't connect to the internet.

You mentioned "So, repeat everything, except first connect the Yellow Internet port on Orbi to a LAN port on your existing router.  Everything will be the same, except the Orbi will get an IP address from your router and will be able to do the firmware update, and hopefully will not error out.", but without an internet connection, it stays in the same endless loop....

I'm no expert here, but I've seemingly tried all possible configurations and have probably hard reset the thing 50 times, but nothing seems to work.

I'm sorry, but by your description it sounds like the problem might be user error. The behavior you describe is expected.

Focus on getting AP mode to work for now.  You indicated you could get to the advanced settings screen and set the device into AP mode.  That's major progress. 

Now, the key thing to understand is this... Once you set Orbi into AP mode Orbi will change IP address and you will no longer be able to access Orbi at 192.168.1.1!! This is expected behavior.  This is beause as soon as you set AP mode, Orbi will obtain a new IP address from your router.  You need to log into your existing router and look at the list of attached devices and see what IP address Orbi obtained.  You can then log into Orbi at that address using http://x.y.z.w where x.y.z.w is the new address of Orbi.  You also need to make sure your existing router is still set to give out IP addresses via DHCP.

Note that once you set Orbi into AP mode, you don't need to log into it for it to work.  You should be able to access your LAN using Orbi as soon as you set it into AP mode.  Make sure the Yellow Internet port is connected to your existing router's LAN port.  Disconnect your laptop's wired connection from Orbi (Orbi's IP address changed so your laptop might have an invalid IP address on the wired connection until you reboot it.) Connect your laptop to Orbi WiFi and see if you can ping your existing router, get to the Internet, etc.

Message 11 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for your continued responses st_shaw! It's getting late here so this will be a job for Thursday. What you have said makes sense so hopefully I'm heading in the right direction. User error was always a strong possibilty here. So my only remaining question is whether I need to tell Orbi the username and password for my ISP, if it's required to access internet.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 94
st_shaw
Master

No problem.  I'd like to see you succeed.  I would recommend you focus on getting AP mode working first and leave router mode for later.  In AP mode you do not need to give Orbi the ISP username and password.  Orbi simply connects to your ISP's router, on your LAN, just like any other device would, and provides WiFi access to your network.  You should turn off the WiFi on your ISP router when using Orbi in AP mode. If you must leave your ISP router's WiFi on while setitng up Orbi, then make sure you place Orbi a couple meters away from the ISP router or they may interfere.

Message 13 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

It sounds so simple!

We're actually running things this way at the moment, but with an Apple Time Capsule sitting where the Orbi will sit. So in theory it should be as simple as getting the Orbi in AP mode, unplugging the cable from the Apple TC and plugging it into the Orbi. But it isn't working, hence the week long trouble-shooting exercise. Wifi is disabled on the ISP WiFi unit.

The only thing which I may retry is to switch off the Apple TC whilst trying to set this unit up, in case it's interfering in some way.

Message 14 of 94
ClintoKL
Apprentice

Hi I have just ordered my Orbi(s) from Harvey Norman's, just wondering how everyone from Malaysia got on installing in the end?

Any tips?

Did anyone end up getting it workng as a router with Unifi rather than as an AP?

Thanks in advance

Message 15 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I gave up in the end. Mine wouldn't run as an AP or router. I thought I'd let it sit for a few weeks until the product gets a little more established locally and then give it a go. I did see that Harvey Norman were selling them in Malaysia now so assumed local support would improve.

Good luck with getting it running. Let us know how you get on.

Message 16 of 94
thedellis
Guide

Mine works as an Access Point only, I was unable to get the router functionality to work at all which is a damn shame.

Message 17 of 94
ClintoKL
Apprentice

Well I finally got mine installed. It wasnt painless but it wasnt horrific either. Having said that, Im 8 hours in and already have the Magenta Ring issue on the main router and can no longer access the router from the web interface as has been reported on other forums here at Netgear. Im using Orbi in AP mode.

Also I ended up having a really weird placing of the satellite. It took me hours to find a placement that would cover most of the house but I am still one satellite short for sure. Which is pretty disappointing given my house is 3200sq feet and I expected the whole house (3 story) to be covered. I only managed to cover ground and first floor and as mentioned that was with a weird satellite placement (both router and satellite are actually on the same floor).

My Asus RT AC68U gave me my full internet speed of 100Mb up/down on first floor, gave me around 50Mb on the ground floor and about 30Mb on 3rd floor. With the new setup Im getting 100Mb on first floor, 100Mb on ground floor where my TV is (and the whole reason i bought Orbi in the first place) but Im only getting around 20Mb on 3rd floor. (Im also getting about 30Mb in backyard and front yard). So the 3rd floor is a disappointment. I tested the satellite up there and got 100Mb so I guess I need one more. 

But yikes I already paid RM2300 (not to mention the cost of the AC68u which is pulling router duties)and now i have to spend another RM1400????

Im regretting not waiting for the ASUS Hive. I guess overall Im satisfied, but not RM2300 satisfied if you know what I mean. Did a lot of research before buying but should have come to Netgear Forums and investigated here. All these fantastic reviews online are obviously people who used it for 20 minutes or had large open offices. In real life its only slightly better than the Asus RT AC68u I think. 

My house walls are like Faraday cages though so I should have managed my expectations slightly better.

Message 18 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Hi ClintoKL,

Congratulations on getting it running in AP mode. Even that evaded me for quite some time...

I've just had another go at mine. Clear the cache on my Macbook, open Firefox, head to orbilogin.com and hope that it opens the main settings page to allow me to change to AP mode. If I am allowed into settings page configure for AP mode. Get a message telling me that the IP address will change. Wait a few minutes then lose all connectivity. I assume at this point, if I remove the LAN cable from my Apple TC, and plug it into the Orbi I should be rewarded with blistering wifi all over my house. Sadly not...

Did you do anything different to the above? Are you with TM and using their terrible router connected directly to your new Orbi base station?

Message 19 of 94
ClintoKL
Apprentice

Hi SDJ,

I use an Asus RT AC68u router. I left that on to start.

First thing I did was plug a lan cable into Orbi Router directly to my laptop and turned on Orbi Router. At this stage Orbi is not connected to any network or anything other than my laptop and power of course. Turned off my laptops wifi. Waited a few minutes. Opened Chrome typed in orbilogin.net. Got the error message. Tried twice more and finally logged in. Went to advanced tab. Advanced Setup and select Router/AP mode changed it to AP mode clicked apply. Let it reboot I think. I had to log back in after so I think I got tossed out. Regardless I could log back in no issue.

I then turned off the Orbi Router. Turned back on my laptops wifi. I then logged into my Asus Router and turned off the 2.4 & 5ghz wifi radios. I then plugged in the provided lan cable into one of my 4 lan ports on the Asus Router and the other end into the Wan port of the Orbi Router. Turned on the Orbi Router. It took about 5 or 6 mins but I could now see the Orbi as one of my wifi choices on my laptop. Selected by it and signed in using the password found on the router. 

For some reason the firmware updated by itself as I noticed it had gone from 1.1.xx to 1.10.1.2. 

I followed the instructions to connect the satellite which I did about 10 feet away from the router. Then I turned off the satellite and tested in various locations. Once it is synced you don't have to do it again. You can turn it off, move it, turn back on and it takes about 5 mins to eventually reconnect.

The Orbi Router inherited an IP address from the Asus router.

One thing to note the handover from one to the other is BS. I found I had to switch off satellite, get all the devices in my house that I wanted to connect to the router, connected first. Then I turned back on satellite and got the devices I wanted to connect to that. Don't believe the hype on device handover. I had devices connect to the closest one but not the fastest one!

Anyway try that.

Cheers

Message 20 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I believed I am the first person that own Netgear Orbi in Malaysia. Netgear sent me RBK53 on September 2016 for testing purpose. And I moved my Orbi from USA to Penang on January 2017. For those people who still have trouble setting up your Orbi with Streamyx (no Fiber in the area where I live in Penang yet), please contact me via private message. I am more than happy to help everyone to have their working.

My setup: Streamyx router as modem (configured as modem, not router, so I can get my DDNS working), RBK53 as router via PPPoE (router mode)

I know this reply might be irrelevant now (or too late), hopefully, I can still help. 

Thanks.

Message 21 of 94
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Guys,

I spent a couple of hours this morning working with Melvin and my RBR50 is now working perfectly as a router and wifi unit. Melvin clearly knows his stuff and helped me step by step to get my system working. Those people who said it couldn't be set up as a router in Malaysia clearly don't understand the systems as well as he does.

Thanks Melvin!!

Message 22 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

I will provide a step by step instructions on how to get it to work with Streamyx and UniFi soon (hopefully by the end of this week). Hopefully, everyone here can get their Orbi to work the way it should.

Message 23 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

I wrote a setup guide on how to get it to work with Streamyx and UniFi. I have the link attached below.

https://github.com/melvinchng/orbi

I believe that the steps that everyone missing are Step 7, Step 8A or Step 8B. By performing those steps, you should be able to get your Orbi working with Streamyx or UniFi. Let me know if you have any question!

Message 24 of 94
h2
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Melvin,
Firstly , thank you for the tutorial. Can you please PM me with regards to your Satellite ? Thank you
Message 25 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7