Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi in Malaysia

zuhairzahar
Aspirant

Hi Melvin! Thanks for the step by step guide! I hit a snag when it comes to step 8A. When I clicked on Apply to save the changes, it seems nothing has been saved. (VLAN ID and Priority reverts back to 10 and 0). I'm on firmware V2.0.0.74. Any chance you could help me out? 

Thanks!

Message 26 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Is it your first attempt Orbi or you were trying to upgrade from V1.x to V2.x firmware and everything broke. 

Message 27 of 94
zuhairzahar
Aspirant

Hi Melvin! Thanks so much for your fast reply. I just bought the Orbi yesterday evening, and updated it when I first set it up. 

Message 28 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Hmm, I see. I am not with my Orbi right now and the next time I will see it is next year. My Orbi is still at V1 and I did not want to upgrade it over the air. And I do not have UniFi either. You might need to wait for other members to see if their routers behave the same. At this moment, I have no comment on what you should do next. Firmware downgrade to V1.x?  I am not sure if it is allowed or your device may brick.

Message 29 of 94
zuhairzahar
Aspirant

I'll try and downgrade it back to V1, and see how it goes. Anyway, thanks!

Message 30 of 94
zuhairzahar
Aspirant

Downgraded from V2.X to V1.12.0.18. Happy to inform it's working! Staying away from V2 for the time being Smiley LOL

Message 31 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Thanks for the information!

Message 32 of 94
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It appears V2.0.0.74 has issues with VLAN tags, I hear it may be fixed in 2.0.0.77 which was not released yet. 

Message 33 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

If it is not fixed, let me know and I will contact the engineer that works with the firmware. There is an ongoing external beta test for V2 firmware which I was invited to join but I did not due to my schedule.

Message 34 of 94
h2
Tutor
Tutor

I have no issues with ver 2 .0 firmware since it’s released. I’m on Unifi.
Did you save the Vlan settings?
Message 35 of 94
Dopa
Aspirant

I am having trouble connecting the Orbi to Tm Unifi as well.

I tried Melvin’s github link but it isn’t loading. Any have a working link for me?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 36 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Link is working perfectly fine. Please try again.

Message 37 of 94
Dopa
Aspirant

Yep, I edited the post but it obviously edit did not go through

On phone and it just showed an photo. Eventually figured out to click on the hamburger to bring up the menu. 🤦🏻‍♀️

So step 8A is where I fell down. No VLAN listed on the advanced > advanced settings

On version 1.xx, so maybe need to update which is one thing I didn’t do as only found this thread while I was trying to set up so connected to internet to DL.

Will download the update then try again.

Thanks Melvin
Message 38 of 94
PhilippeG
Aspirant

Managed to make it worked with Unifi. Thanks a lot.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 39 of 94
Spankette
Aspirant

Hi, dunno if its the right thread for this but if i bought a US set Orbi, can it be use in Malaysia?

Message 40 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Yes. Only difference should be the plug. But it can take in 110-240V.
Message 41 of 94
Spankette
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply Melvin. Appreciate it.

Message 42 of 94
Alexan
Aspirant

Melvin...I know is late...but your link is empty..can you provide me the step by step set up for orbi...pls

My email is alexan.wong@ucmas.com
Message 43 of 94
st_shaw
Master

@Alexan wrote:
Melvin...I know is late...but your link is empty..can you provide me the step by step set up for orbi...pls

My email is alexan.wong@ucmas.com

His link works fine for me. http://melvinchng.github.io/orbi/

Message 44 of 94
Alexan
Aspirant

Thanks Melvin..I din see the scroll bar beside...but I have try everything that you mention but till now I don't have internet..I m unifi so I change as per according to your pic...500 and 1... but is unsuccessful...

Message 45 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

You may want to check with TM to make sure that your Unifi username and password are accurate. I am pretty sure that this tutorial still works as of today. 

Message 46 of 94
PhilippeG
Aspirant

Hi,

I can confirm this works as I'm using Orbi right now for my Wifi with Unify thanks to this post and Melvin guide.

Now I had an issue and I believe I fixed it by using an older firmware instead of the current one. I'm using:  V2.1.2.18

You need to download firmware by firmware from the newest version till one that works with those settings.

Then it works fine.

Hope it helps.

Philippe

Message 47 of 94
Dopa
Aspirant

If anyone has the same issue of the site being blank , are you looking at it on a mobile ? If so, try using a desktop instead. The site isn’t very mobile responsive and hides the menu button thus appearing to be a blank page!!
Took me a while to figure that out!! Thought I would share.
Message 48 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

The page may be slow if you are using slow internet. I probably need to optimize the images. The server is definitely not an issue. I have been using the same template to write other tutorials with >300 pages without any issue.
Message 49 of 94
Dopa
Aspirant

The front page looks much better on my mobile now. Image is smaller and I can see menu immediately.

The tutorial steps are great and worked a treat for us. Also worth noting the upgrade of firmware can take a long time and you can’t upgrade from a very early version to a latest version in one go. It has to be incremental.

The only real issue left is the quality of the TM service. It isn’t always great but they respond well via twitter!!

Thank you, Melvin!! You are a star!!
Message 50 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7