Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi in Malaysia

melvinchng
Apprentice

If it comes with Dell-branded card, I'd suggest you replace it with Intel's wireless card. Preferably 9260 or 9560.  And make sure you are plugged in and not running on battery to get maximum performance. 

I own a Dell Precision. The dell-branded wireless card is very crappy, so I am not surprised that you are not getting the speed you should. 

Message 76 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Thanks, so the bottleneck is the wireless card?

Currently it is the Intel dual band 8265.

Message 77 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Intel 8265 should not be an issue/bottleneck. Have you ran a speed test with power plugged in and power plan set to balanced?

Message 78 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Yes, always plugged onto power source and Performance power setting.

Message 79 of 94
motz
Aspirant

speedtest.JPGBatteryPlan.JPGTime Fibre 1Gbps 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 80 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Is your Orbi configured to use MIMO and Beamforming?
Message 81 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Not entirely sure  about that - that's where I am hoping to get some help here. 

Message 82 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

If you can go to advance wireless setting and look at the end of the page, you will see some additional configurations. I believed MIMO and Beamforming options are not checked by default.
Message 83 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Thanks, just ticked both, MIMO and Beamforming. 

Kids jumped at me coz their game all halted! 🙂 LoL!

Ran speedtest, no noticeable improvement.

Still around 50Mbps-60Mbps on wireless  on the Dell 7480.

Note8 wirless : 399Mbps download,  47Mbps upload.  

Message 84 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Will leave it for now.

Continue to trouble shoot next year 🙂 

Thanks for your help, appreciate your time. Enjoy your NYE.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy 2019! 

Message 85 of 94
motz
Aspirant

My nightmare has not ended with Orbi yet. 😞

I need to connect 2,4Ghz wifi printer. Is there a way to set 2 visible wifi frequency on the Orbi. Right now I can see one SSID (Auto) only.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 86 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

If I am not mistaken, I don't think you can have SSIDs with different frequencies.  I believed you can set the guest SSID to be set to 2.4Ghz/5Ghz only. 

Message 87 of 94
motz
Aspirant

Thanks. 

Don't think we can change the Guest SSID frequency either. 😞

I have downgraded my Time Fibre plan from 1Gbps to 500Mbps. Save RM60 per month since I am nowhere near 500Mbps speed.

I have also changed the original LAN cable that came with the Orbi to a Cat7 cable, connecting  between the Huawei "modem" and the Orbi router.  Can see some improvement but still not close to 500Mbps.  Will let it settle for a while, perhaps will explore TPLink Deco M9 Plus later. 

Capture.JPG  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 88 of 94
unknownhost
Aspirant

Hey there, I am facing the same issue. Not sure if there is a workaround to connect to Astro PVR wirelessly.

Message 89 of 94
sthomi
Aspirant

I too have the same problem, Astro PVR doesn't connect to Orbi, however, it can connect to my phone hot-spot. Please advise

Message 90 of 94
unknownhost
Aspirant

Temporary workaround is to hook up a wireless AP to existing router and set a different SSID with different channel to connect to Astro PVR exclusively. Seems to be connecting to the D-Link wireless AP without issues, unfortunately no luck with the Orbi.

Message 91 of 94
melvinchng
Apprentice

Hi guys, just received an email from one of the Orbi user in Malaysia. For those who are unable to connect to the Internet, you may want to change your default DNS setting to Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) / Open DNS (1.1.1.1, 1.1.0.0) in the advance configutation.

Message 92 of 94
achin73
Aspirant

Hi Melvin! Just wanted to thanks you for your step by step guide! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 93 of 94
Wenghua
Aspirant

Hi,

I have set the vlan and change the dns, but it still not working, should I reset the Orbi and follow your step from beginning?
Message 94 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7