Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in Multiple Homes

rla52
Follower

Orbi in Multiple Homes

I own two homes and recently put an Orbi system in one of them.  I am thinking about adding Orbi to the second home.  Can I use the same user name and password for both Orbi locations?  It would simplify my life if I didn't have to have a different user name and password at each location.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi in Multiple Homes

Yes, you can use the exact same WiFi name (SSID) and password in as many locations as you want.  A very good idea!

I recently installed Orbi's in two houses, only these are 3,000 miles apart.  In order to give myself a way to administer the one faaaar away, I set up Dynamic DNS and OpenVPN on both of them.  Works great, however what I did not think about was what would happen when I VPN'd into the remote sysem.  I had taken the "default" IP subnet for both systems (192.168.1.x).  So, when I ask to open a web page during a VPN session, does my browser say, "oh, THAT 192.168.1.x is across the country."  Or, does it say, "Wow.  Good thing there's a 192.168.1.x right here on the LAN."  So, what I do is start up a WiFi hot spot on my smartphone, disconnect the laptop from my local network, connect to the hot spot, start up the VPN, do my business, and undo all of that.

I would much rather simply use a computer on my local network, VPN across country, do work, and turn off VPN.

If you do not need remote access to the Orbi, of course, all this does not apply.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7