Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi in private network question

alibabakes5
Follower

Orbi in private network question

Hi. I have a gaming computer It is connected to my Verizon router on 5G. I want to set up a private network from the gaming computer. Can I put the orbi in router mode and connect it to the network card of the PC and use the orbi router and orbi satellite to extend a private network from my PC to my living Room 2 floors away to connect my oculus quest.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi in private network question

@alibabakes5 wrote:

Hi. I have a gaming computer It is connected to my Verizon router on 5G. I want to set up a private network from the gaming computer. Can I put the orbi in router mode and connect it to the network card of the PC and use the orbi router and orbi satellite to extend a private network from my PC to my living Room 2 floors away to connect my oculus quest.

My sense is that this will not work.  A solution depends on what capabilities this private network needs to have.  For example:

• An Orbi can be set up with no internet connection.  This will create a true "private network" in the sense that devices on this network can communicate with each other, but none of them will have access to anything else.  If the gaming computer is connected to the Orbi 5G WiFi, it can connect to anything else on the same Orbi network (wired or ethernet).
  • The Orbi router can be connected to the Verizon router with an ethernet cable.  The Orbi will create a private network on the LAN side of the Orbi where every device will have access to other devices and also have access to the internet, but nothing on the internet will have access to this LAN.  This is also "private".

My fear is that the goal is to somehow maintain the Verizon connection for the gaming PC while creating simultaneously a link to other devices in the house that are not supposed to have internet connection.

Sorry if I have missed the point entirely.  Perhaps more details would be helpful.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7