Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi initial setup

Spirit
Tutor

Orbi initial setup

I am new to Orbi and Netgear. I was having trouble setting up my new Orbi router and satellites - first time I have ever done something like this.

So I typed "Orbi Phone Support" into Google and this website popped up: https://www.orbi-setup.com/.

I called the toll free number and got a call back. I gave the person some personal info. It took me about 15 minutes to realize this was not Netgear. I feel so stupid. Anybody know if I am in kind of security danger.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi initial setup

Ya this is not official NG site. 

What kind of information did you give them? Hopefully just ur name and maybe address. Put that number on a blocked caller list if you have that kind of phone support. 

Message 2 of 4
Spirit
Tutor

i gave him my name, email and phone number.

Then he took remote access of my PC and told me that I had something called an alaurean (bug) on my PC.

He then tried to sell me some software. It was only at that point that I realized it wasn't Netgear.

My biggest concern is that my Password Manager was open on my device (I am such an idiot).

I have changed the master password and some ket passwords (banks, etc) and thankfully all seems ok

at this moment.  The "orbi" site that I went on is so info intensive that it is hard to believe that this is a scam

but I assume it is.

I did a reverse phone lookup and the number also points to other router makers like asus and linksys.

Who are these people and what do they really want?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Lordy. Smiley Frustrated

I recommend changing PWs on everything. 

I would remove any odd programs seen on your PC thru the Control Panel, add/remove programs section. 

Run a virus scan on your PC. Download MalWare Bytes program and do another scan of your PC for malware. 

There just scammers trying to get you to pay them for nothing. Look at youtube for scammers or scammers getting caught. There out there trying to put crap on your PC or lock ur PC out and then some times will hold the PC as ransom until you pay. Offical NG will never do this with users unless there is a high level support ticket involved and only done thru NG official support lines. 

Next time, contact NG support or check with official router forums to see what is officially supported and what sites maybe bad. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7