Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi jumping between connections

Orbi jumping between connections

Hi,

I have the RBK753, so have 3 routers in total. My primary router is on the middle floor with each of the others on the floor and below and above, respectively. They're all on different sides of the house so cover off all corners quite effectively. 

The issue I have, is that the router on the ground floor won't lock on and stay locked onto the primary router on the floor above. It regularly re-connects to the router on the top floor. I'm not sure but I suspect the top floor router is doing something similar. Essentially, both routers are equi-distant from each other and, depending on doors being closed, etc., it decides to switch. I'm guessing when it does there is a blip in connectivity too.

Is there a way to force an Orbi to connect, and remain connected, to another one, or will I always be finding it switching over all the time?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi jumping between connections

a couple things. 

1. There's the router and the satellites. Its much better to describe them based on what they are. Calling them all routers confuses everyone trying to help. 

2. Floors/ceilings are great for where they run HVAC. And metal does a great job of blocking wifi. Have you tried moving the satellites around a bit to see if theres something in the floor/ceilings blocking it to make it have to connect to the 3rd floor device? 

Message 2 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

The location the satellites are in are the best - particularly the location of the lower one. If move it any further either direction, some thick internals walls cause issues.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Best for the devices on that floor or the best for the connection between router/satellites? 

Everything is dependant on a good wireless backhaul connection. It doesn't do you any good to have a great connection from satellite to devices if the satellites connection has a poor connection. 

It'd be like having a race car that can only have a straw to feed the motor fuel. 

Message 4 of 7

So what would be your recommendation here? The lights indicate blue, and eveything in the app suggest strong signals where it is - throughput it great, with no problems. It's just that jumping between satellite and router that's causing a problem.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

what size is the home? 

How far apart are the satellites from the router? 

What is the interior walls and floors made from?

That series of orbi doesn't let you enable/disable dasiy chaining. Its all managed automatically. So if the device from floor 1 is connecting to the satellite from floor 3, it makes me think somethings causing that. Either to close or somethings blocking the signal. 

That's why I said try moving the sateliltes around

Message 6 of 7

Understood.

I don't have exact measurements, but it's 3 stories with quite thick, Edwardian walls internally. On the ground floor, in a middle room, is a satellite. On the floor above, near the front of the house is the primary router, where the broadband comes in. On the top floor is the other satellite, in a similar location to the one on the ground (just directly above).

Between the bottom and middle floor satellite/router is a couple of walls, but where the ground satellite is, there are open doors between, so there's really only a floor between them. If I move that satellite any nearer, it moves away from a camera I have mounted outside the back and has connetion issues. The room isn't set up for me to move it further away, unless I move it in the back room (the kitchen). However, due to the extra wall, the satellite then complains about a weak connection. So, I've tried already... but will keep at it. You've actually answered my question, though, in that I can't fix the connection. Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7