Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi keeps dropping the DNS!

Falfam5406
Aspirant

Orbi keeps dropping the DNS!

My house got stuck by lightening a few weeks ago and fried our TV, modem, receiver, projector, etc - the orbi + satellite were spared amazingly.
We bought the same NETGEAR modem but upgraded from CM600 to CM1000.
The orbi satellite is located just 2 rooms away about 40 feet in the “1media room” is away from the living room with the main orbi.
Since we replaced the modem we cannot get the DNS to stick, it keeps dropping thus dropping our internet for the whole house.
I have changed out Ethernet cables, rebooted, reset, reconnected, released and renewed everything numerous times and nothing works.
Please help me!
We work from home and this is making us want to pull our hair out!

ISP: Cox
Modem: CM1000
Router: RBR50 + 1 Satellite
SqFt: 3700
Orbi to Sat: 40ish feet
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6
Ranholl
Aspirant

Re: Orbi keeps dropping the DNS!

Check the channels for 2.4 and the 5 ghz I have found the Orbi works great but does not play well with others 

had the same problem and run a WiFi scan and found crossing channels separate by at least 3 channels and try again 

Message 2 of 6
Falfam5406
Aspirant

What do you use to scan for WiFi channels?
Message 3 of 6
Ranholl
Aspirant

I use a Apple WiFi app to scan for signals and the chains
You should find a WiFi scanner in the App Store
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6
Ranholl
Aspirant

If your using apple go to the App Store and download the airport app for the apple router it will not see your Orbi but the scan works to find the channels that are being used 

if you don’t see the scanner go to settings and scroll down to the airport app and turn on the WiFi scanner it’s a big help

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up manual DNS like I did here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Falfam5406 wrote:
My house got stuck by lightening a few weeks ago and fried our TV, modem, receiver, projector, etc - the orbi + satellite were spared amazingly.
We bought the same NETGEAR modem but upgraded from CM600 to CM1000.
The orbi satellite is located just 2 rooms away about 40 feet in the “1media room” is away from the living room with the main orbi.
Since we replaced the modem we cannot get the DNS to stick, it keeps dropping thus dropping our internet for the whole house.
I have changed out Ethernet cables, rebooted, reset, reconnected, released and renewed everything numerous times and nothing works.
Please help me!
We work from home and this is making us want to pull our hair out!

ISP: Cox
Modem: CM1000
Router: RBR50 + 1 Satellite
SqFt: 3700
Orbi to Sat: 40ish feet

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements