Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi keeps rebooting several times a day even with new firmware V2.5.1.16

guilloryjc
Aspirant

Orbi keeps rebooting several times a day even with new firmware V2.5.1.16

House: 3200 sq.

Comcast: Internet 

Router and satellite are around 30ft., no walls blocking them 

Modem Arris SB8200

Firmware updated automatically through admin page (V2.5.1.16)

I'm having the same issue as many others it seems and have been for months. I didn’t know it was so bad and frequent till this quarantine. Out of all the discussions on this I've only seen 1 resolved and that was a product defect.  All of the other suggestions didn’t help anyone it seemed as they were addressing internet issues or interference. 

I wish I would have caught this during the 1st 3 months , now they want to charge me 90 dollars to do what I assume would be what everyone has described. It’s not my internet it’s this Orbi product, I never had these issues before this.

I would love for this to work as everything but this issue has been great. The coverage and ease of setup was top notch. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 20
guilloryjc
Aspirant

I've tried some, but every post I read with the same questions none of what was asked changed anything. As with the others some of these are already disabled as a default i.e. Daisey Chain and a few other. I have not done a factory reset and I will change the channels though it’s not an internet issue it’s a Orbi issue.

I do appreciate the help and will have to change the rest later after work but really it doesn’t seem like others Wi-Fi is making it reset. I have neighbors all around me but I’ve always had them and never had this rebooting issue till I got Orbi. I really like the ease of use but this is such a hassle and a pain since we work from homes these days.

I might have to consider the factory reset option but need to read up on what all I have to do in order to do it correctly.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the question presented when you get a chance. 

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 4 of 20
pshah
Aspirant

I have been having the exact same issue with this firmware version. Orbi reboots 6-7 times a day. I have done factory reset and still nothing. Very frustrating.
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router
https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@pshah wrote:
I have been having the exact same issue with this firmware version. Orbi reboots 6-7 times a day. I have done factory reset and still nothing. Very frustrating.

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@guilloryjc wrote:

I've tried some, but every post I read with the same questions none of what was asked changed anything. As with the others some of these are already disabled as a default i.e. Daisey Chain and a few other. I have not done a factory reset and I will change the channels though it’s not an internet issue it’s a Orbi issue.

I do appreciate the help and will have to change the rest later after work but really it doesn’t seem like others Wi-Fi is making it reset. I have neighbors all around me but I’ve always had them and never had this rebooting issue till I got Orbi. I really like the ease of use but this is such a hassle and a pain since we work from homes these days.

I might have to consider the factory reset option but need to read up on what all I have to do in order to do it correctly.

Message 7 of 20
fmalloy
Luminary

If your unit is rebooting itself spontaneously, forget all the contortions and resetting and questioning your modem and house size. It's defective. It's what happened to me. There is a flaky component, one possibility is bad RAM, where memory data gets corrupted. 

Once I got a replacement router, it's been solid...so far.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see if this is a configuration or other wise first before claiming it's a HW issue. Trouble shooting needs to be done first. Not every unit is faulty. 

Message 9 of 20
pshah
Aspirant

I have had the router for 3 years so definitely not a faulty hardware. I try tweaking the settings one at a time and so far changing 2.4ghz channel to 1 after factory reset helped. Over 24 hours with no reboot. Channels 6 & 11 did not help.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the suggestions helped. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@pshah wrote:
I have had the router for 3 years so definitely not a faulty hardware. I try tweaking the settings one at a time and so far changing 2.4ghz channel to 1 after factory reset helped. Over 24 hours with no reboot. Channels 6 & 11 did not help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 11 of 20
pshah
Aspirant

I am not the original creator of the thread so I cannot close it.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Oopps I didn't scroll down far enough. Sorry about that. Hopefully the OP can gain same resolution as well. We'll wait for there responce. 

Message 13 of 20
guilloryjc
Aspirant

I will have to try the factory reset this weekend then try changing he channels. I've had these issues since purchase.

Thanks

Message 14 of 20
pshah
Aspirant

I am back to square one. It was good for few days but started rebooting again. Rebooted 5-6 times today.
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try the new FW update on your ssystem. Manually download the FW files and install them. RBS first then RBR lastly. I would factory reset the system after the update then setup from scratch and see how it goes. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-50-series-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-32-FW-Release/m-p/19...

If this still fails, then I would contact NG support and open a support ticket. 

Message 16 of 20
pshah
Aspirant

I tried everything and finally downgraded router and satellite to 2.5.1.8. Its been stable for a while now.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, next time an update is seen, update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. 

Message 18 of 20
Mstrbig
Master

Usually when any router reboots itself several times a day, it can be getting overheated or defective, or a bad or going bad power supply. I had an Orbi power supply cause an RBR50 router go on and off every 10 seconds, just like a timer was controlling the power. If possible try a different equivalent power supply and see if the problem goes away. 

Message 19 of 20
guilloryjc
Aspirant

Still having the exact issue , I've done everything mentioned. I've restarted from default, I've started with satellite first, I've changed all the settings and still as of today I'm still having the issue. It has restarted 3 times already, this is so ridiculous. Unless someone has any new suggestions I will now have to pay another 100 for them to do all the same things and figure out I have faulty equipment. I can promise you one thing, I will never buy another Netgear product. This issue is 100% Netgear and not my internet or settings. I only wish I would have noticed this when it was still under warranty.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7