Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi local domain name?

Southpaw32
Guide

Orbi local domain name?

Ok, dumb questions... What is the local domain name of the Orbi router?

I think I know the answer, but I can't find anything that confirms it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

This description implies that the local domain name can be "anything" (bearing in mind that it will probably block any legitimate domain that is identical.  e.g. amazon.com isn't a good choice.)

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/howto-using-pi-hole-as-lan-dns-server/533 

Digging further, it appears that there are multiple methods, so it may be prudent to look through the latest documentation.  I just updated to Pi-hole 5, so there may be updates.

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/what-is-the-correct-way-to-get-local-hostname-resolution-without-pih... 

And, it looks like I found a hint to your deduction.  Some routers create the domain ".local" (Ubiquiti was mentioned).  Makes a lot of sense.

AND..... (drum roll), Pi-hole 5 actually has a menu entry for "Local DNS Records".  I added records for "printer.local" and "orbi.local". Windows ping and Firefox resolve them.  (Aha.  It's a lot easier to see my printer ink levels from the built-in web access than to open the HP printer utility.  This exercise has tought an old dog a 'new trick'.)  Decided ".local" was too much to type, so the printer is now "printer.x".

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Southpaw32 wrote:

Ok, dumb questions... What is the local domain name of the Orbi router?

Some context would help. There have been a number of posts regarding how Orbi handles DNS queries, and a recurring theme is that there is no way to resolve "names" in the local LAN.  Some DNS servers, such as the latest Pi-hole, provide the ability to create a file of  "local domain names" and define devices in a configuration file.  In the Pi-hole example, the user creates whatever "domain" they want.

What do you think it is?

Message 2 of 8
Southpaw32
Guide

Yes, this is in regard to PiHole.

I'm just doing a basic setup, and want to turn on the "Conditional Forwarding" which requires the "IP of your router" and "Local Domain Name"

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This description implies that the local domain name can be "anything" (bearing in mind that it will probably block any legitimate domain that is identical.  e.g. amazon.com isn't a good choice.)

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/howto-using-pi-hole-as-lan-dns-server/533 

Digging further, it appears that there are multiple methods, so it may be prudent to look through the latest documentation.  I just updated to Pi-hole 5, so there may be updates.

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/what-is-the-correct-way-to-get-local-hostname-resolution-without-pih... 

And, it looks like I found a hint to your deduction.  Some routers create the domain ".local" (Ubiquiti was mentioned).  Makes a lot of sense.

AND..... (drum roll), Pi-hole 5 actually has a menu entry for "Local DNS Records".  I added records for "printer.local" and "orbi.local". Windows ping and Firefox resolve them.  (Aha.  It's a lot easier to see my printer ink levels from the built-in web access than to open the HP printer utility.  This exercise has tought an old dog a 'new trick'.)  Decided ".local" was too much to type, so the printer is now "printer.x".

Message 4 of 8
feignit
Star

I still don't quite understand the solution to this. What would I put in this form?

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 12.32.03 PM.png

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Inline pictures do not appear until approved by a moderator. I believe if you "attach" it using the "Browse" button it can be accessed immediately. 

Message 6 of 8
feignit
Star

I wasn't aware of that, thank you

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@feignit wrote:

I wasn't aware of that, thank you

I have no clue "why" the community forum is set up this way.  If a moderator happens to notice and act on posts quickly, my inline graphics always appeared, and then one day they didn't.  I suppose an "evil doer" could somehow embed nastiness that would do horrible things when a web browser displays the post and having the user specifically open attachments is somehow "safer".

This discussion has demonstrated how little I know about this topic.  Some thoughts:

• As far as I can tell, Orbi has no method to set a "local domain name".  Other routers may.
    I will experiment with this "forwarding" to see "what happens" and report.
  • HOWEVER, if the goal is to have the "Top Client" list report how devices are using Pi-hole by "name" rather than by IP address, this appears to work.
    * I used the Pi-hole menu "Local DNS Records" to enter several DNS records (see attachment LocalDNS.jpg).
       My desktop computer, for example, has IP 192.168.1.2.
       My laptop computer has IP 192.168.1.21
    * Before I created these Local DNS Records, the Top Client display would show these devices by their IP address.
    * Afterwards, the Top Client display shows them by "name".  It is a little frustrating that DNS names are not
       case sensitive (e.g. they are all lower case) and cannot have spaces.  Probably could have periods.
       See the second attachment (TopClients.jpg).
  • Alas, if I want to open a local web page "by name", the LocalDNS has to have at least one period in it.
    i.e. http://printer fails, whereas http://printer.x succeeds.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7