Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection on iPhone

aty1972
Tutor

Hi all!

Tried all the suggestions and the problems remains the same.

Did a new setup from scratch with all default settings and I have realized that the issue occurs only when the satellite is wired to the router. If the satellite connects to the router wirelessly the connection to all my iOs devices works perfectly. But I can't keep it as is because:

- Connection between the satellite and the router is fair or poor, even if I try moving the satellite to other places on my 1st floor (lights either solid amber, magenta at times). The size of the house is not an issue, it's more the material used in the wall I guess.

- Internet speed is below 6Mbps on my iMac if satellite is in the same room and dosen't receive any WiFi signal if the satellite is placed in another room.

I obviously tried to change all the cables (other than the one which goes in a wall between ground and 1st floor) with no improvment..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aty

@aty1972 wrote:

Hi!

All iOs devices are updated and I've just added them to the address reservation.

The rest was already enabled.

Will give this a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

@JammasterC wrote:

Make sure your Apple devices are updated.

Have you used "Address Reservation" on the LAN setup page at orbilogin?

Enable Fast Roaming, Beamforming, and MU-Mimo.

Give these settings a chance as I believe that changing settings on the router is not immediate and needs time to register. 

Message 26 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a LAN switch or patch panel between the router and this satellite or directly connected? 

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? Recommend disabling Daisy Chain if you have a satellite that's wired to the router. 

Is Beamforming enabled? 

You can try the new FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

You have to update the satellite first, then when you update the RBR, load v212 first, then v32. 

@aty1972 wrote:

Hi all!

Tried all the suggestions and the problems remains the same.

Did a new setup from scratch with all default settings and I have realized that the issue occurs only when the satellite is wired to the router. If the satellite connects to the router wirelessly the connection to all my iOs devices works perfectly. But I can't keep it as is because:

- Connection between the satellite and the router is fair or poor, even if I try moving the satellite to other places on my 1st floor (lights either solid amber, magenta at times). The size of the house is not an issue, it's more the material used in the wall I guess.

- Internet speed is below 6Mbps on my iMac if satellite is in the same room and dosen't receive any WiFi signal if the satellite is placed in another room.

I obviously tried to change all the cables (other than the one which goes in a wall between ground and 1st floor) with no improvment..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aty

Message 27 of 36
ekhalil
Master

Few Issues related to Ethernet Backhaul were fixed in the latest software 2.3.0.32. As you see this issue only when using wired backhaul, it’s very likely that you get good improvement with the new software.
Please try to upgrade to this software.
Message 28 of 36
aty1972
Tutor

Hi!

I should have mentionned that I've already upgraded to the new firmware and that both the RBR and RBS are running 2.3.0.32 with no improvement.

The satellite is directly connected to the router.

Daisychain disabled

Beamforming enabled

20/40 MHz Coexistence disabled

Preamble Mode Long

CTS/RTS Threshold 2341 Sat 2345 Router (tried 2307 on both as well)

Mu-Mimo and fast roaming whether enabled or not has no impact on connection

As am I writing this it took 2 minutes for my iPhone to connect to the internet (WiFi strength full) and for example the orbi app didn't even detect my router and satellite the first 2 times it was trying to detect my product.

@ekhalil wrote:
Few Issues related to Ethernet Backhaul were fixed in the latest software 2.3.0.32. As you see this issue only when using wired backhaul, it’s very likely that you get good improvement with the new software.
Please try to upgrade to this software.

What I don't understand is how come my iMac has a very stable connection (ran a ping test on google with no issue) while being connected to the 5Ghz network of the satellite and at the same time my iPhone keeps on dropping internet.

Message 29 of 36
ekhalil
Master

What other device types do you have attached to the network? What devices do you have wired to Orbi?

Message 30 of 36
aty1972
Tutor

At the moment:
To the router:
2 iPads 2.4G
1 iPad 5G
1 surface tablet 2.4G
1 sonos soundbar 2.4G
1 iptv 2.4G

To the satellite:
My iPhone and iMac both to the 5G channel
Message 31 of 36
aty1972
Tutor

Sorry the only wired device to the router is the orbi satellite
Message 32 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@aty1972 wrote:
At the moment:
To the router:
2 iPads 2.4G
1 iPad 5G
1 surface tablet 2.4G
1 sonos soundbar 2.4G
1 iptv 2.4G

To the satellite:
My iPhone and iMac both to the 5G channel

What type of IPTV device do you have? Can you please test to disconnect the IPTV and see if there will be any difference? Can it be that IPTV multicast data is impacting the Orbi performance?

Message 33 of 36
aty1972
Tutor

Will give it a go to see if this impacts on the stability of the network.

Weird as well that everything works well if the sat is not wired to the router (although not usablein this config since wifi and speed is very bad)

Message 34 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@aty1972 wrote:

Weird as well that everything works well if the sat is not wired to the router (although not usablein this config since wifi and speed is very bad)

Do you happen to have enabled VLAN / Bridge Group to make the IPTV work?

Message 35 of 36
aty1972
Tutor

I've disconnected the IPTV and will advise if there's any improvement.

@ekhalil wrote:

@aty1972 wrote:

Do you happen to have enabled VLAN / Bridge Group to make the IPTV work?

VLAN / Bridge Group has always been disabled

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7