Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

mikelagase
Guide

It would be great if we can get this fixed soon as I have my Orbi in the box ready to return or sell the darn thing. The entire family was so tired of disconnects and lack of internet connectivity that I had to switch back to my old router.

I may just keep the Orbi for now and try with the next update to see if that makes any difference otherwise this thing is going back which is unfortunate. It works great when it works but horrible that I had to reset the router so many times a day.

Message 101 of 302
SPOGoFly
Initiate

Same thing happened to me. The Orbi worked great the first day - super fast WiFi and strong signal throughout the house. On the evening of day 2, the router wouldn't stay connected to the internet for more than a few minutes - even for my PC with a direct Ethernet connection to the router! Resetting the network (per the user manual procedure) didn't fix the issue for more than a few minutes.

Per the orbilogin.com setup, I'm on the latest firmware version. I was able to fix the issue temporarily by resetting the router and satellite (using the reset buttons) and setting everything up from scratch. It's working now, but I'm not hopeful it will stay connected. Unfortunately, the hard reset doesn't roll back the firmware. Based on the feedback in this forum, the 1.4.x firmware may be the issue.

If the router keeps disconnecting in the next couple of days, I'm returning it for a refund. This needs to be fixed ASAP by the developers. Please help!
Message 102 of 302
Yld2rob
Luminary

i had the same issues. Nothing I tried work until I did two things. I have Verizon FIOS as a note. First, I rolled back the firmware back to .16. Secondly, I determined that my orbi was disconnecting or loosing an internet connection about every 24 hours. Looks like the Orbi router has an issue holding a DHCP. I placed my Verizon fios router back in place that I was using before. I then turned off the wi-fi on the verizon router(you can do this with your old router), plugged the Orbi router into the verizon router. Then, just put the Orbi router in AP mode as opposed to the default router mode. I Orbi has kept up a connection for two weeks without an issue. You should have to do it this way, but until Netgear provides a working firmware, this is what I have to keep in place. 

Message 103 of 302
RogM
Initiate

Hi

Having the same connectivity issues as everyone else on here. Had Orbi for about a month and tried everything suggested by support.

Netgear must be aware of this issue, so can they give us a date for when this will be fixed please?

Message 104 of 302
Malik2k1
Star

Just a quick update that I haven't had as many issues since my last post. 

I do get the sporadic Orbi dropped connection now and then which is annoying but it comes back as soon as the Orbi reboots itself or gets a connection back... not too sure which it is but it comes back within a minute or 2.

At least once a day, around the same time everyday, the Orbi completely reboot's itself and it seems like my ISP modem does the same around this time too.  I'm not sure why but it leaves me without a connection for about 3 to 5 minutes then everything runs properly again.

Hopefully things improve with future updates!

Message 105 of 302
MarkC1024
Luminary

Both the modem and the router rebooting consistently around the same time sounds like there might be a problem with power to those devices.

Message 106 of 302
Malik2k1
Star

Sorry I should've explained better.

Same time as in at 11pm every night I lose my wifi network and it seems like the orbi goes into a reboot cycle or the modem. Not sure which is triggering which or if they're related or seperate issues.
Message 107 of 302
MarkC1024
Luminary

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to put them on a UPS that conditions power and can stay up during a brown-out or power flucuations.  I've run APC UPSs behind all my computer and network equipment for years and have yet to have a  component failure.  As I work from home, I need to rely upon connectivity 24x7

Message 108 of 302
bobcurt
Initiate

Running vV1.4.0.34and still having the issue
Message 109 of 302
AMarket42
Star

Like some have started, my Ethernet connection to my Roku device has been awful. I get over 100mbps on a speed test yet it continues to buffer on numerous apps. I've reset the Orbi and I've entered the IP address directly into the WAN setting (as directed by support). Currently I'm trying it wirelessly; however, shouldn't it be better connected. I have the last Roku Premiere plus so I don't feel it's the device. The Premiere has MU-Mimo as well so I've enabled that setting and kept beam forming disable, as directed by support. I'm confused as to why directly connected it would perform so poorly when all the speedtest plugged in and wireless are well over 100mbps. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Message 110 of 302
AMarket42
Star

That's interesting. I tried to set mine up in AP mode but my devices wouldn't connect. I currently have the bridge set up on my modem and have the Orbi Router directly plugged into it.
Unfortunately, I had to perform a hard reset which caused me to manually reconnect every device in the house. I would try again but I don't want to reset all my passwords in addition to re-setting up the Orbi app which lost all of the information I had entered initially.
Message 111 of 302
kennedyd013
Guide

I've also noticed very poor buffering. I have 100up/down fiber at my house and I will get 100 MBPS on WIFI - but it appears that wired is my issue. Really slow speeds when connected directly into the Orbi itself. I'm going to switch out with a nighthawk as my core and put it in AP mode instead to see if this addresses. 

Message 112 of 302
AMarket42
Star

I'd be interested to know if this works for you. I tried AP mode and none of my devices would connect. I hope it works for you!
Message 113 of 302
tpgall
Guide

I have also been having problems with the Orbi losing internet connection.  I upgrade to the latest router firmware, 1.5.0.12, in the hopes they fixed it, but over the last 2 days it has locked up twice.

Any suggestions from Netgear on settings or troubleshooting?  I have everything set to defaults with the Guest network off.

Message 114 of 302
Hydro130
Luminary

I had an unexplained connection drop this morning too (magenta router).  After doing a power cycle, it's been OK since.

Latest firmware here, and I verified it was not an issue related to my servce provider

Something still isn't quite right with the basic Orbi firmware - hoping another update is released soon...

Message 115 of 302
AMarket42
Star

Unfortunately they didn't have any recommendations. Oddly, I don't get drop issues when connected wirelessly.  I do get occasional buffering on my Roku with certain apps (ESPN and Sling), even when hardwired into the Ethernet port.  I do really like the product; however, with the speeds I get I truly feel I shouldn't get any buffering issues especially when directly connected to the Satellite. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Message 116 of 302

@AMarket42 wrote:

Unfortunately they didn't have any recommendations. Oddly, I don't get drop issues when connected wirelessly.  I do get occasional buffering on my Roku with certain apps (ESPN and Sling), even when hardwired into the Ethernet port.  I do really like the product; however, with the speeds I get I truly feel I shouldn't get any buffering issues especially when directly connected to the Satellite. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.

that suggests your buffering is caused further upstream , have to tried connecting the Roku direct to a modem or upstream connection

Message 117 of 302
AMarket42
Star

I haven't tried the upstream connection. I'll give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion!
Message 118 of 302
Jthes
Aspirant

Mine looses connection for about 4 seconds. From 1 till 5 times in one hour.

Any idea?

Thinking about returning the Orbi, feels like 1991 to have bad connection and go back to Apple.

Very dissatisfied!

Message 119 of 302
AMarket42
Star

That's unfortunate. The system costs too much money for it to be failing that often. I wish they had guidelines On what are the best or ideal settings. Obviously not every situation is the same but some guidelines would be helpful. I'm not quite ready to take it back but I'm getting close. Best of luck to you.
Message 120 of 302

This is ridiculous I will have to roll back. Disconnects constantly. Get your act together Orbi. !! This is imbarrising
Message 121 of 302

I hope someone here can be of help. I just purchased a Netgear Orbi router and satellite based on the sterling reviews and individual recommendations I've read for months now. I have tried both Luma and eero; Luma was a disaster from the beginning, and the eero has worked just fine. The Orbi gives me great wireless coverage throughout my home, but my daughter and wife have complained about intermittent Internet connectivity issues, and I have had several problems today with Internet connectivity while working on my laptop.

The error message I get is "DNS probe finished - no Internet" or words to that effect. I've also tried restarting the cable modem, resetting the wireless connection on the client, and reviewing the Orbi logs; other than "UPnP set event" and "DoS attack", there is nothing there that would indicate a problem.

I didn't come across any references to these connectivity problems in my research, but this thread suggests that it's been an issue for a while.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 122 of 302

as i specifically stated in the other forum you posted this in , its a known and confirmed issue , the dev team are working on it as we speak but at this stage no resolution , you can try disabling beam forming and mu-mimo from the advanced menu , otherwise wait till new fw is released

pete

Message 123 of 302

I appreciate the reiteration; I misunderstood and thought you were suggesting I post my inquiry here. When I checked the settings you suggested, they were already unchecked. Perhaps the latest firmware release unchecks them by default.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 124 of 302

i think they did as an attempt to resolve the connection issue but it hasnt fixed it all as you can read from these threads , all we can do is wait and see what the dev team comes up with , its a complex issue and one they must be struggling to fix as its been a while since we heard anything from them

i will say i have the orbi router and 2 sats here and have never had issue and have a mix of both windows / android and apple devices which complicates things more for the devs as if they fix one lot they cause an issue for the others

Message 125 of 302
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7