Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

I have a similar mix of devices - two iPhones, a Samsung Galaxy S7, a Google Pixel XL, three Windows 10 laptops, a Roku Premiere+, DirecTV Genie DVR, an Xbox One and a number of wired devices (Windows desktops and printers). I will hang on with the Orbi because I think it is potentially the best Wi-Fi system on the market. I just hope I can stave off the family complaints until a solution is delivered!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 126 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good luck.  I had my ticket opened since December, with nothing done.  My family was fed up and I had to get rid of the Orbi.  Eero has been great since the install.

Message 127 of 302

If I may ask, what made you decide to go with 2 satellites? I ask because we may be moving to a larger home in the near future, and I wondered if that was your rationale for having a 2nd satellite.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 128 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It was part of the package and we have a large one story on one acre with 3 car garage.  So normal routers couldn't cover the whole house.  The Orbi did, with the one in the far corner, and the satelite in the middle of the house which reached the garage, kitchen, master on the other side of the house fine even into the back/front yards of our 1 acre.

Message 129 of 302
PatG25
Star

Not sure if I have the same issue as everyone else here. Had my Orbi and one satelite since early January - i.e. two months. Been working great since then so I didn't really pay attention to it. In the last two days it has lost connection to the internet twice. After a reboot it has come back up and stayed up for about 24 hours the first time. Just rebooted again and we will see. 

Both Beamforming and and MU-MIMO and turned on; I have never touched the setting. So is it recommended to turn these off until the issue is fixed? 

It hink I am still in the return window for Best Buy and may get the new Google product. 

Message 130 of 302
kennedyd013
Guide

I've had two main issues that everyone else seems to be experiencing. Drop-outs/timeouts with wireless and streaming when wired wouldn't buffer right and have very slow streaming video/audio. I've fixed both by placing the Orbi + Sattellites in AP mode. I use my nethawk as just a wired router and disable WiFi. Everything has been running smooth since then. 

Message 131 of 302
PatG25
Star

Anyone try version 1.8.0.6 yet to see if it corrects the problem?

Message 132 of 302

@PatG25 wrote:

release notes

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports Korea wireless region

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes bugs and security issues.

note very helpful ! what bugs and security issues ?

Message 133 of 302
fstockel
Star

(Posted this in the wrong thread earlier)

1.8.0.6 does not solve my issue. My router is still loosing WAN connection several times a day. It has been for several fw releases now (got a support case on it). The router looses IP/DNS from isp and gaines it again after some time. I have provided support with debug logs and all sorts of info.

Plugging in alternative hw/router and putting Orbi in AP mode seems to be a workaround (by reading other peoples findings). But I can't test it as the Orbi kit is my only router and It would still be a workaround rather than a solution.

I ran some tests and plugged in a computer directly to the WAN port and reloaded a webpage for a day. No disconnects /WAN drop during the tests.

Message 134 of 302
Yld2rob
Luminary

You are correct. I had the exact same problem. You need another router and put the orbi in AP mode until Netgear fixes the issue 

Message 135 of 302

Same problem for me, the WAN connection regularly drops. Upgraded to the latest firmware without success. Turned off all other wifi devices in our house.
Message 136 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

Latest firmware does hot address these issues Netgear Engineering is aware and hopefully working on a Firmware that will address these issues soon atleast that is the hope 

Message 137 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

They have been saying that for 6 months. Don't believe everything you hear from their support.
Message 138 of 302
tpgall
Guide

I upgraded to the latest firmware last week.  I was losing the Internet connection once or twice per week.  I now lose the Internet connection multiple times a day.  BIG step backwards.  The netgear Web site says "Take the Orbi wifi challenge."  I never thought the challenge would be to maintain an Internet connection.  Orbi may be great technology but you can'take prove it by me.  It is definitely not ready for prime time.

Message 139 of 302
ttosu1
Initiate

@PatG25 wrote:

Yes...doesnt help...if anything it seems to have made things worse. 

Message 140 of 302
PatG25
Star

I am losing connection about twice a week where I have to reboot both my router and modem. Glad I haven't upgraded yet. Given all the equipment that Netgear produces this should never have been a problem. 

Message 141 of 302

@PatG25 wrote:

I am losing connection about twice a week where I have to reboot both my router and modem. Glad I haven't upgraded yet. Given all the equipment that Netgear produces this should never have been a problem. 

seeing as no one not even netgear has ventured into this distributed wireless world before its a steep learning curve for all manufactures and no one has background knowledge to look back on for this technology , so its baby steps and yes bugs along the way

Message 142 of 302

@peteytesting wrote:

seeing as no one not even netgear has ventured into this distributed wireless world before its a steep learning curve for all manufactures and no one has background knowledge to look back on for this technology , so its baby steps and yes bugs along the way

I hear you, but its simply not acceptable for Netgear to sell a £360 product (in the UK at least) that does not function as advertised.

For what it's worth I think folks who've had a bad experience (like me) should start posting negative Amazon reviews, as I think that'll get them moving a little bit quicker on finding a solution.

Message 143 of 302

@RickDangerous wrote:

@peteytesting wrote:

I hear you, but its simply not acceptable for Netgear to sell a £360 product (in the UK at least) that does not function as advertised.

For what it's worth I think folks who've had a bad experience (like me) should start posting negative Amazon reviews, as I think that'll get them moving a little bit quicker on finding a solution.

but thats the thing here for many it does work as advertised and does an exceptional job of its main claim to fame and thats whole home wifi

if you want to make an impact return it as im sure the number of returns would and will make a greater statement than "fake news" on amazon

Message 144 of 302

@peteytesting wrote:

but thats the thing here for many it does work as advertised and does an exceptional job of its main claim to fame and thats whole home wifi

if you want to make an impact return it as im sure the number of returns would and will make a greater statement than "fake news" on amazon

People should only post what's true. There's nothing fake about I, or anyone else on this thread who's had problems, posting a negative review about their experience with the product. I'm fairly sure it has more impact than posting on a forum, and I think people who are unhappy should both post a negative review and return the product.

I notice that those people who have posted negative reviews on Amazon's UK site are receiving almost instant replies from the Netgear support team asking them to email with a link to the negative review. I haven't seen much participation or engagement from Netgear to my other attempts to contact them.

Message 145 of 302

you mis understand me , any review or post on amazon is seen as fake news as its just not a great place to read or rely on anything as its abused by all sorts , its a waste of time posting on amazon for that reason

you can pin your hopes on someone answering at amazon , but it will hardly get things moving any faster as i can assure you they know the issues , its how to fix them that is the issue

Message 146 of 302

It's really not (and Netgear clearly don't think so given the speed at which they're addressing negative reviews), but I'm not sure this is the place to talk about it. As for pinning my hopes on Amazon, this appears to be a battle on many fronts - these forums / Amazon reviews / RTB / Netgear's "support" / even twitter. 

It is a little amazing the lengths people will go to defend a company that's sold a £360 product that doesn't work. I'm sure they're working jolly hard to fix it, but I (and others on this thread) are still out of pocket with only a couple of expensive paperweights to show for it.

Message 147 of 302

@RickDangerous wrote:

It is a little amazing the lengths people will go to defend a company that's sold a £360 product that doesn't work. I'm sure they're working jolly hard to fix it, but I (and others on this thread) are still out of pocket with only a couple of expensive paperweights to show for it.

and as long as you keep saying it doesnt work you are going to get no where as many ppl are quite happy with the orbi and it works exactly as advertised , in fact here it works great and has since day 1 and is by far the best wifi i have ever had and i have had literally hunderds on routers in testing , the issue is it doesnt work for you and you have a choice to wait it out or take it back

Message 148 of 302

You've lost me. People shouldn't report that the product doesn't work as advertised if it works for other people? That makes no sense.

Anyway, enough:

- my setup suffers from sporadic connection failures

- other people are reporting on both this forum and Amazon that their setup suffers from sporadic connection failures

- Netgear haven't provided a solution to these problems

- other people are reporting their setup works just fine

You pays your money, you takes your choice. I expect better for £360, but everyone's free to make whatever purchase decision they like.

Message 149 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep, negative Amazon review already done. 🙂

Message 150 of 302
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7